Trans shutter !!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

frank 428cj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi I have a 2010 1500 with a 5.7 and after changing the transmission fluid about a week later I got this shutter at low speed forbthe most part (55 & under) and only when I'm light on the throttle. I have 151k on the truck I changed the fluid at 60k, 110k & 150k and never had an issue with the trans at all until now all of a sudden. The fluid is always very clean. The only difference from this time compared to the first 2 times is this time I put and oil in it, anyone have a fix or idea? I did suck out 4 wyd and put 4 qts of gas from ATF+4 A WEEK ago but no change.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Drive in tow haul, which fluid did you use? Just to differentiate, it is low rpm shudder and not low speed shudder, two different things?? If you don't know drive in 4 gear for a while at high rpm and then at low rpm, see when the shudder happens.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I didn't understand the last two sentences, hopeful you didn't have a stroke that would suck, but can you fix that so I can understand what you are saying?

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
It could be TC shudder or maybe fluid related, but if it's fresh ATF +4 not likely the fluid. Personally with that many miles on it I would try a tube or two of lubeguard shudder fix to see if it goes away. If it does then I would probably run Lubeguard platinum in addition to ATF+4 (Has more friction modification than Red) for any future changes until it really becomes time to start replacing things. Also have you ever replaced the filter in the pan ?

https://www.lubegard.com/products/isf/

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I think when he wrote "is this time I put andoil in it" maybe he meant "Amsoil in it"???
If so does Amsoil make an ATF+4 or do they just have an equivalent fluid. If equivalent then I would suggest draining it as much as possible & putting ATF+4 in it.

OP
OP
F

frank 428cj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry stupid auto correct crap on these phones. The fluid is ATF+4 and I always change the filters in it. Like I said I have never had a problem with it . I tow a 4500lb trailer about 10 times a year, and I would say milage wise its about 6k a year of towing, but this was the first year I used the truck for that. I have heard people saying they put friction modifier for a clutch type posi rear in them but that sounds like a major risk to me. Also I would say its more of a low RPM thing. If you get on it a little from a light its fine and never does it once your up to 17 to 1800 rpms I do have 392 gear in it and its 2wd

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Aurorx is a cleaner that could clean something if you got contamination in the clutch pack. With brand new fluid I'm not sure a friction modifier will help, but maybe something to consider after you run a cleaner or flush type product first. I prefer autorx to a solvent as it is an ester based cleaner, very effective and low risk, no need to flush. I've had it fix stuck transmission before. It's either that or ignore it, see if it goes away on it's own. Like I said, drive in tow haul 24/7, takes the low rpm's out of the truck completely = no more shudder. I have driven in TH mode since I learned about it here in 2011, no issues with long term usage. If fact, I have become so used to it I literally hate how the truck drives when TH isn't on.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
If you went with autorx it can take as little as an ounce or 2 to clean that, add a little at a time til the shudder is gone. Maybe 4 ounces as a initial fill.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think Burla's autocorrect is wacky too....I think he meant AutoRX :)

Seafoam also makes "TransTune" which I later found out is just regular Seafoam dyed red. But it might not work as well or be as strong a cleaner as AutoRX. Ive used ARX before on the only used vehicle Ive ever purchased, just to make sure the engine was clean before I took over maintenance.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
This stuff.

Sea Foam being the solvent option, will likely work as well.

OP
OP
F

frank 428cj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I tried the lubeguard and it helped some what, but its still pretty bad. Driving in TH mode it still does it. I did have a Super chips program for towing in it and put it back to stock and it makes the mds active. Well its actually better when mds is active. I never had any issue until I put this amsoil trans fluid in it, and I think from reading the bottle its more of a compatible oil than one that says just ATF+4 . I think I will start with dumping out all of the fluid and new filters again and put straight castrol ATF+4

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
So I tried the lubeguard and it helped some what, but its still pretty bad. Driving in TH mode it still does it. I did have a Super chips program for towing in it and put it back to stock and it makes the mds active. Well its actually better when mds is active. I never had any issue until I put this amsoil trans fluid in it, and I think from reading the bottle its more of a compatible oil than one that says just ATF+4 . I think I will start with dumping out all of the fluid and new filters again and put straight castrol ATF+4

If you want one of the uber quality ATF's for +4 Redline C+ is pretty much the only option that's truly an ATF+4 spec rather than a multivehicle fluid. Otherwise use whatever licensed ATF +4 you can get as all licensed ATF +4 is exactly the same regardless of vendor.