Transmission code 0734 with 73,000 miles on 2014 2500.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

[email protected]

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
I have 2014 2500 with 73,000 miles that’s a daily driver and has never been worked except occasionally pulling my side by side. When exiting the interstate today it acted like it shifted into neutral. After stopping and shifting into park it goes into drive but only last a few hundred feet before acting like it’s in neutral again. The check engine light came on and has code 0734, the fluid level seems fine and there’s no abnormal noises. Thoughts?

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Worse case scenario, your transmission needs replacement or rebuild. It’s possible the sensor pack needs to be replaced.

OP
OP
keads55@yahoo.com

[email protected]

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
Thank you for your reply, that’s crazy if the transmission is out after only 73,000 miles of very light use.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Incorrect gear ratio, you slipped the 4th gear clutches. Time for a rebuild...

Is the truck tuned? Bigger tires?

OP
OP
keads55@yahoo.com

[email protected]

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
It’s not lifted or tuned, tires are one size larger than stock

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Something almost exactly the same happened to my dad's GMC 2500 Allison trans recently. Ended up being the solenoid pack.

OP
OP
keads55@yahoo.com

[email protected]

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
I’ve been covered at work so I haven’t done anything with my transmission yet but I was thinking back about an electrical issue. In December my batteries were dead on a cold morning so I jumped with a jump box and then had the batteries checked. They checked out good and everything seemed fine. I drove the truck everyday without an issue except the same thing happened three times through February. I’ve had the batteries checked twice and they keep saying they’re fine and so is the alternator. Any chance this affected my sensors on the tranny and any ideas on the electrical issue?

alex6666

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 slt
Engine
not a mechanic :) I've heard a weak battery can cause all sorts of issues including single or multiple engine codes. Jumping a battery incorrectly can also cause issues with codes and sensors i'm told (not saying you did this). Before I dropped in a new tranny i'd definitely consider buying a new battery and leaving the truck disconnected for a bit to reset any codes and see what happens. Best of luck ......

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Try driving in tow haul see if it still does this. So you are saying from many different gears it will just slip into neutral? So if not what gears slip into neutral, overdrive for sure.

OP
OP
keads55@yahoo.com

[email protected]

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
Try driving in tow haul see if it still does this. So you are saying from many different gears it will just slip into neutral? So if not what gears slip into neutral, overdrive for sure.
It just acts like goes to neutral but the dash still says drive. There’s no sound associated with it, and it started after my batteries died. Just not sure why it would run fine for a few weeks and then the batteries would die again on cold mornings but test out fine.

OP
OP
keads55@yahoo.com

[email protected]

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
I’ve never even had it in tow haul so not sure how to do that. Only thing I’ve ever pulled was my 1500 lb side by side on a 16’ aluminum trailer.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I’ve never even had it in tow haul so not sure how to do that. Only thing I’ve ever pulled was my 1500 lb side by side on a 16’ aluminum trailer.
Just push the button on the dash, all it does is change shift points to keep the transmission in higher rpm and out of MDS, it is harmless. Report back

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
If it ends up a torque converter you should build up the valve body and new solenoid, in theory you address weakness of rfe and hopefully transmission is fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357