Transmission Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HighTechRedneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 Magnum
Well, today I brought my truck into the college to change the fluid & filter, and tighten some bands up, and to say the least it is still there and I'm not.

I found the specs for the bands here:
94+ Ram AT band adjustment
but I'm not quite sure what transmission I have. I think it's a 46RH, but not sure. Which one is it, so I don't torque the bands wrong again?

And, what happened was that I torqued it to the spec, but didn't back it off the specified number of turns. So when it shifted into 2nd gear, it bogged down the engine, and when I let off the throttle, it stopped it, and skidded to a stop. So I'm trying to avoid another incident like this, so it won't toast my tranny. :angry94:

OP
OP
HighTechRedneck

HighTechRedneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 Magnum
Alrighty then, thanks. I wanted to be absolutely sure this time. It'll be the third flippin time pulling the pan this week... If it was at the house, I'd weld a **** in the pan so it'd be easier next time it rolls around, but ah well. It could be worse :emotions122:

OP
OP
HighTechRedneck

HighTechRedneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 Magnum
Oh, and is there an area for transmissions in the 2nd Gen forums? I didn't know where else to post this?

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
No there is not. lol I guess this would be the right section because the only other section that might be suitable is the engine and performance section.

And the torque specs for a 46RH are the same for an RE and a A727. lol Transmission didn't change much over 40 years.

OP
OP
HighTechRedneck

HighTechRedneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 Magnum
Hmm, makes you wonder why there isn't a transmission section. But I'm not complaining, got her done. :roflsquared:

I swear, at my house I have more tools than the college does... We didn't have any square sockets, so I had to set the torque by feel (torquing another random bolt to the spec, and guestimating the torque based on that) with a crescent wrench. All because the college's "fully equipped shop" didn't have 12 point sockets, or a square socket. :****sweak:

Got her done, not bad for first time, and thanks for the help on identifying. Plenum fix & tune up starts tomorrow! :happy107:

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
:grd:

Tho I will say I've used 6 pointers on square bolts before with no issue. lol You did back the bands off two and a half turns after having torqued down, right?

OP
OP
HighTechRedneck

HighTechRedneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 Magnum
We ended up having the pan off 3 times this week. 1st time was only fluid & filter change since we ran out of time, 2nd time was when I did it wrong (didn't back it off 2 turns), and 3rd time was correct.

We did use a 6 point on it the second time, but it isn't a completely square bolt. It was square with rounded sides, so when I came back the 3rd time, it was too rounded for the 6 point. Kinda sucked, but glad I got her done.