Transmission Temp sending

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Buzz

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7 pullin the War Wagon
Hi All. Installing trans temp gauge. Where is best install of sending unit? I would imagine in trans it self or in line. The pan temp would be slow to respond compared to in trans housing (test port maybe) or in line to cooler, no? With that being said where what test port is on 06, 5.7, 545RFE, 4x4
Thoughts and comments please.

OP
OP
Buzz

Buzz

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006 Power Wagon
Engine
Did I miss somethin?

OP
OP
Buzz

Buzz

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006 Power Wagon
Engine
Parts are all here. I need some answers.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
monitoring the pan temp will give you a good average the transmission temperature. It is what's being pumped into the trans for cooling.

OP
OP
Buzz

Buzz

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006 Power Wagon
Engine
Thanks for input and ideas.

Another line of thought was presented. Inline from trans is quick to show rise and fall of temp immediately.
Maybe good for rock crawl.I think pan is better average temp reading riding down on the ****'s with War Wagon in tow.

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
Thanks for input and ideas.

Another line of thought was presented. Inline from trans is quick to show rise and fall of temp immediately.
Maybe good for rock crawl.I think pan is better average temp reading riding down on the ****'s with War Wagon in tow.

Absolutely, but you’ll need a mounted manifold/junction block of some sort so you don’t create a line restriction. Adding more complexity and opportunity for leaks/failure is completely your decision!

Snake15eyes1998

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey, new to the forum here. I just recently installed the Dorman 1 ton cooler on my 2006 dodge 1500 5.7 hemi. Did some driving, probably about 2 hours, 90 degrees outside. my pan temperature got as high as 160 degrees. I don't have a temp gauge in my truck, but just used a thermal temp gun. The fluid coming into my cooler was 175-180 degrees. The fluid coming out was 125-130 degrees. Then the pan was 160 degrees.

OP
OP
Buzz

Buzz

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006 Power Wagon
Engine
Snake let me say Welcome to these very useful forums. These are the guys that will have answers.

Thanks for the input also.

I am thinkin tap just before cooler- 12"-18" inline. I do not want to ripoff sending unit from trans pan. Trans fluid should be inline with coolant temps, like Snake posted, not hotter than eng oil, correct?

Eng oil runs 10-20 degrees hotter than coolant on average. Start work that Hemi and watch eng oil temps increase. Most do not know the first job of oii is to cool, not lubricate.