Truck Bed Camper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IARAM87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am looking at getting some sort of truck bed camper, pop-up style like a FWC or Palomino Backpacker. I have already committed to a eibach pro lift with 35s. But I guess my question is should I be looking at any other suspension upgrades? Any feedback would be great. My thoughts is just to try to get as much as I can done while my I am installing the leveling kit.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You might look at some airbags to take some sag out of the rear suspension when the camper is loaded.

How much weight will you be putting in the bed with that style of camper?

OP
OP
IARAM87

IARAM87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You might look at some airbags to take some sag out of the rear suspension when the camper is loaded.

How much weight will you be putting in the bed with that style of camper?

I think depending on the camper it is roughly 1000 to 1500lbs plus food,gear,etc.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Your limiting factor will be payload. Look at your yellow sticker on the drivers door jamb. You probably have about 1300-1500lbs of payload. That includes the camper, all gear, passengers, and your heavier tires and wheels. With 35's you will probably lose about 100-200lbs or so of payload due to the extra weight of the tires and wheels. That and a lift will make it less stable.
Find the weight of the camper and add weight of passengers, gear, etc then go weigh your truck and add it up. If it is under your GVWR you should be ok.

That being said I'm not saying it won't be able to do it if you are over by a few hundred pounds but it won't be legal.

OP
OP
IARAM87

IARAM87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Your limiting factor will be payload. Look at your yellow sticker on the drivers door jamb. You probably have about 1300-1500lbs of payload. That includes the camper, all gear, passengers, and your heavier tires and wheels. With 35's you will probably lose about 100-200lbs or so of payload due to the extra weight of the tires and wheels. That and a lift will make it less stable.
Find the weight of the camper and add weight of passengers, gear, etc then go weigh your truck and add it up. If it is under your GVWR you should be ok.

That being said I'm not saying it won't be able to do it if you are over by a few hundred pounds but it won't be legal.

Thanks for that info. I wasn't even thinking anout wheel weight. I may have rethink some things.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for that info. I wasn't even thinking anout wheel weight. I may have rethink some things.
A larger tire will also reduce effective gear ratio but I don't think power will be an issue, just letting you know.

Oh, air bags, stiffer springs, etc will make it feel better but will not change your max towing or max payload. Those numbers are set and cannot be changed

OP
OP
IARAM87

IARAM87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A larger tire will also reduce effective gear ratio but I don't think power will be an issue, just letting you know.

Oh, air bags, stiffer springs, etc will make it feel better but will not change your max towing or max payload. Those numbers are set and cannot be changed

Alright. Well I guess my new plan is to steal my brother's 04 2500 and turn it into a camping rig.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Alright. Well I guess my new plan is to steal my brother's 04 2500 and turn it into a camping rig.
Get weights on yours before you write it off. But on the other hand getting your brothers 2500 means you can get a bigger camper...lol

MoPowered

Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They also make some really neat and super lite bed rail mounted pop up camper shells that only weigh about 600lbs. You can outfit them anyway you want and still have use of the truck bed if needed, The top pop’s up and has the bed up top. They are inexpensive and very customizable. Just type it into Google.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I just helped a friend through this and those campers weight A LOT. 1200# was about the bare minimum and that was without a bathroom. 1500-1700# was the minimum with a bathroom. IIRC there is something different with camper weights v. TT or 5th wheel weights. They are listed with full tanks of water. Not that the tanks are very large but it was just a different method. My friend had a pretty capable 1/2 ton (1600# payload) and there really weren't many options.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I just helped a friend through this and those campers weight A LOT. 1200# was about the bare minimum and that was without a bathroom. 1500-1700# was the minimum with a bathroom. IIRC there is something different with camper weights v. TT or 5th wheel weights. They are listed with full tanks of water. Not that the tanks are very large but it was just a different method. My friend had a pretty capable 1/2 ton (1600# payload) and there really weren't many options.

They post loaded weights on truck campers because a truck camper, unlike basically all other RVs, don't have a GVWR because they don't have axles - all that weight is going directly into the truck. So they load them up the way a 'typical' person would load them and post that weight, so you know if your truck is going to have issues with it.

That said, while there are some 'light' options, I wouldn't seriously consider any of them for year-round use due to the soft sides - it's going to be cold in there even with a heater running come winter.

You're much better off looking into your brother's 2500 - it'll open up a LOT of options for you if you're looking for something to get out into the wilderness with. You won't be getting into the 12-ft monsters, those are 1-ton dually and up weights, but you'll get a LOT more options than you do for a half ton.

OP
OP
IARAM87

IARAM87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey all thanks for chiming in, it is appreciated. So It looks like my payload capacity is 1316 from looking at the sticker on my door jamb. The dry weight of the two campers I was looking at was about 1050 and 1200. So I either need to look at another option with something like a GFC or really take (buy for dirt cheap) brothers 2500. haha. Or I guess see if I can find a decent camper with a lighter weight.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Hey all thanks for chiming in, it is appreciated. So It looks like my payload capacity is 1316 from looking at the sticker on my door jamb. The dry weight of the two campers I was looking at was about 1050 and 1200. So I either need to look at another option with something like a GFC or really take (buy for dirt cheap) brothers 2500. haha. Or I guess see if I can find a decent camper with a lighter weight.

Yeah, there's a reason most people with truck campers have at least a 3/4 ton truck. There are some that are light enough a half ton truck can handle them, but not that many.

I've seen half ton trucks with bigger truck campers...and it looks damn scary. You find yourself wondering how they manage to pull in and out of parking lots.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have looked in the past, all are pretty heavy or just not my style. This company has some neat alternative ideas.https://atoverland.com/

I also looked at direct bolt campers where you remove your bed. Not sure if that is an option for you. Good luck

OP
OP
IARAM87

IARAM87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have looked in the past, all are pretty heavy or just not my style. This company has some neat alternative ideas.https://atoverland.com/

I also looked at direct bolt campers where you remove your bed. Not sure if that is an option for you. Good luck

I was actually looking at AT Overland's stuff awhile ago. I was interested in their Atlas model. But I think I would enjoy a camper a little more. I have looked at the Four Wheel Camper options that bolt directly to a flatbed. But I think if I went that route I would want to use my brother's 2500.