Truck has tinnitus

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kaldridge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Hello everyone. Ive ran into an issue i cant figure out and figured i ask about an ongoing annoyance.

2016 Ram 3500 dually. Cummins 6.7. 103k miles.

Bought the truck used in 17 put 60k miles on it.

A couple days ago I thought my tinnitus was kicking up past my hearing aides while driving. My oldest son(10) asked what the noise was. He was in the rear passenger. He described it as a horror movie stabby sound eeee eeee eeee. I did a couple different speed tests and noticed that the sound only happens at 70ish. If I set cruise at 70 ilthe sound is permanent eeeeeeee. What are some causes or is this something I just have to accept?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If the sound is speed related it's most likely transmission or driveline related. Usually noise related to the engine will follow rpm not the vehicle speed.
Try forcing a downshift when the speed happens, might give a clue on how or if the sound changes.

OP
OP
K

kaldridge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
It sounds like it's coming from the front drivers side. But that could be because I'm driving. I will say it's coming from the front of the truck.

As far as something caught in the brakes. Wouldn't that make a permanent sound not just at 70.

My door seals leak at 80 :D

Ima pull tires and check bearings, brakes, rotors, and bushings today.

star_deceiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Had than in my ‘16 Cummins…. Started as a faint eeee eeee… got worse… about 3 days later it turned into a driveline rumble. The u-joint at the rear axle started to fall apart. This was how I found it as you can’t find a bad u-joint when the driveline is bound up. IMG_0905.jpeg

OP
OP
K

kaldridge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Well that was a productive day. Front end torn apart and put back together all lubed and greased and antiseized. Road tested and still got the sound at 70. Ima check driveline and U-Joints tomorrow.