Truck Starts & Immediately Dies

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
S

Sean J Blackburn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Update: the issue appears to be fixed!

I replaced the ignition switch with a unit from auto tech electronics (comes preprogrammed to your trucks VIN, no need for a dealer!) and so far this seems to have fixed the problem. Truck no longer has rpms all over the place and isn't stalling! The new WIN Module feels distinctly different when I turn the key. It's much tighter, and has 3 distinct positions to it. The old one felt the same all the way through which I guess I had just grown used to. I'm going to drive my truck for a few days and make sure the problem is fixed, but from what I've seen so far the WIN Module was definitely the problem. I hope these posts help someone else going forward! We all covered a lot of ground troubleshooting and I'm sure that will pay off for someone in the future. Thanks to everyone who helped me solve this 4 month long, super annoying intermittent problem!

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Sean, Hope that is the fix :) And Thank You for the regular updates, they may help someone one day :)
I have to give you credit for not giving up. I would have quit a long time ago lol.

OP
OP
S

Sean J Blackburn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks Rado. I am not the kind of person to quit, especially when something is annoying me. Felt like I had to "win" by solving the problem haha.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Thanks Rado. I am not the kind of person to quit, especially when something is annoying me. Felt like I had to "win" by solving the problem haha.
LOl I hear you! I was that way when I was in the HVAC field before I retired ! If something was busting my stones I had to find out why :) But I was in the trade 45+ years so knew I could find the issue if I kept my head ! Now cars /Trucks I know enough to pay someone to do it lol it would cost more to fix what I broke trying to fix it lol
But I really love reading how you guys trouble shoot auto repairs, just fascinates me
Hope your issue is solved and again Thanks for all your updates

OP
OP
S

Sean J Blackburn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Last update for future searchers. I did an autopsy on the old win module and it had clearly failed. You can see in the photos that the part of the circuit board the key makes contact with when you turn it was completely worn through to the board, and that a chip on the top left of the board appears to have been fried. I won't be posting anymore about this but I wanted to conclude with pictures of what a bad win module looks like. 20210126_201112.jpg

20210126_201127.jpg

20210126_201527.jpg

20210126_201812.jpg

feelinfroggy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello! I actually posted a new thread on the same issue. Before coming across yours. I am definitely going to try a new ignition switch. Ordering today. But I seen you said it needed to be programmed to the vin.. on my part search it doesn't seem that it needs to be.? And by the way, hats off to you! I've been in the same boat here for a couple months diagnosing and throwing parts at it to no avail. Driving me crazy and like you, I'm not going to give up LOL

feelinfroggy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Also, one question.... Were you brake and abs lights on? And if so, were they gone once replacing the ignition switch?

retosparto

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Spark plugs have about 30k on them, not sure how often they need to be replaced. I haven't done any sensors or the fuel pump yet. I suppose I could just start replacing parts but I'd like to avoid replacing parts that don't need to be replaced if at all possible.
It’s the TIPM. The fuel pump relay is ******** the bed