Truck Starts & Immediately Dies

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sean J Blackburn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi guys, this will be sort of long so heads up.

I have a 2012 1500 with the hemi. For the past 4 months I have been having terrible problems with stalling. Initially, it was stalling on cold startup and would immediately die as soon as the engine caught. It will catch-die catch-die etc from anywhere from 1-4 times on a cold engine, but after several attempts it always catches and stays running. Occasionally it will catch, the rpms immediately drop to around 200, and it stalls out.

I was also having a problem with random stalling while driving, usually soon after startup on a cold engine but also many times after driving from anywhere from 10 minutes to 2 hours. When this happened it was as if the key was turned to off, engine, lights, radio, everything would immediately shut off. Sometimes I would have to pull over and restart and sometimes it would catch itself as it was dying and "restart" itself and I could continue driving.

I am also having a problem where the radio (non u connect, st base model truck) will be black and either I can still control the radio or the radio will be frozen on whatever station it's on.

I took it to 2 mechanics and also to dodge. First mechanic checked all grounds on the truck and said they are fine, couldn't help further. So I took it to dodge and they said it was not reproducible and told me to bring it back if it got worse (no help there)! So I took it to a mechanic that I trust who scanned the truck and said the PCM was throwing all sorts of improper voltages within the unit and needed to be replaced. He replaced the PCM last week and dodge then programmed the PCM.

Replacing the pcm seems to have fixed the stalling while driving problem which is great. I'm still getting the start and immediately die issue at cold start up and the radio issue which is frustrating. At this point I'm not sure what else to do and I can't get back to my mechanic for a week or so.

I know on the older 3rd Gen trucks that the mass airflow sensor and the the idle air control valve can cause the start-immediately die problem, but I don't know about the 4th gens as I'm not as familiar with them.

The fact I'm having trouble with the radio in addition to the immediate stalling at cold startup makes me think this is still an electrical issue. Besides testing the battery (about 2-3 years old), what would you all recommend checking/testing at this point? I'm moderately handy and can do most basic car jobs like oil, breaks/rotors, shocks, change out electrical parts sensors etc. If any of you have some ideas of where I should be looking I would be very grateful!

OP
OP
S

Sean J Blackburn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think this is in the wrong forum, mods feel free to delete and I'll repost. Whoops!

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8
Have you done spark plugs, fuel pump, or any sensors? Me personally I google then start with the cheaper most likely causes and keep going till its past my abilities. Radio may be a separate issue, but that's where I'd go and usually still cheaper than going to a mechanic and you end up with a bunch of stuff done you would have had to replace soon anyhow. Good luck and I'm sure more knowledgeable people will chime in.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

Sean J Blackburn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Spark plugs have about 30k on them, not sure how often they need to be replaced. I haven't done any sensors or the fuel pump yet. I suppose I could just start replacing parts but I'd like to avoid replacing parts that don't need to be replaced if at all possible.

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
Spark plugs have about 30k on them, not sure how often they need to be replaced. I haven't done any sensors or the fuel pump yet. I suppose I could just start replacing parts but I'd like to avoid replacing parts that don't need to be replaced if at all possible.

If you put copper plugs in they are due for a change.

Also did you put the correct plugs in? My truck will do something in very cold weather because I'm running +1 colder spark plugs.

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
I know on the older 3rd Gen trucks that the mass airflow sensor and the the idle air control valve can cause the start-immediately die problem, but I don't know about the 4th gens as I'm not as familiar.

Which 3rd gen ran MAF sensors?

Most people will confuse MAF and MAP sensors. They will also confuse the MAF with the IAT intake air temp

These vehicles are tuned using map and speed density programming.

MAP is (intake) Manifold Absolute Pressure. Makes easy to swap out to 2bar and 3bar sensor when going boost.

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
Ever have a rodent issue in your area.......maybe chewed on wiring harness or connections need cleaning.

OP
OP
S

Sean J Blackburn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ever have a rodent issue in your area.......maybe chewed on wiring harness or connections need cleaning.
My mechanic says that power/ground check out OK, and from what I can see the wiring looks OK. I'm in Arizona and our homes don't really have rodent problems usually. We have scorpion problems haha.

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
My mechanic says that power/ground check out OK, and from what I can see the wiring looks OK. I'm in Arizona and our homes don't really have rodent problems usually. We have scorpion problems haha.
Battery test lately or is battery fairly new?
I'm with you on the electrical side since you have a radio issue.

Well guess quote says it all on power/ground test it it was done correctly.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Sean J Blackburn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah definitely an electrical issue. The battery is 2-3 years old and our 120 degree summers are brutal on battery life! I'm out of town today but I will get it load tested tonight or tomorrow and let you know the results. Appreciate the help thus far

danoday

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would say probably not battery considering it has survived numerous restarts without killing the battery.
I was following a post a while back and the OP had stalling issues, he ruled out fuel injector, coil pack and it turned to be a broken lifter spring.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Just a thought and FYI I am no gear head but have you checked the fuel pump pressure ?I have read a few threads about similar issues with a weak fuel pump Following so I can learn something Thanks

OP
OP
S

Sean J Blackburn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When I get it back to mechanic I will have him check the fuel pressure. And the lifter springs are another good idea, thanks for that. I'm going to load test the battery anyway just to rule out it being an issue even though you are probably right about it not being a battery issue since it's surviving multiple restarts. While I'm at autozone I'm going to pick up a new fuel pump relay, as I've heard if the relay is intermittent it can cause stalling at start up especially. It's been about a week since replacing the pcm and so far it hasn't stalled while driving so that appears to have been fixed (knock on wood). Just gotta sort out this stalling at startup and we'll be golden
..this is the first trouble I've had with this truck and for being 11 years old I'd consider that pretty good.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Also make sure any wire connections are tight and not corroded !

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Your fuel pump relay is soldered into the circuit board of the T.I.P.M (totally integrated power module) under the Fuse Panel on passenger side, usually it goes all at once but could be sometimes intermittent, I'll give you a site where you can get a test wire and jumper wire to check the circuit.

Used TIPMs - Products ↓ | Vertical Visions

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Sean J Blackburn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Your fuel pump relay is soldered into the circuit board of the T.I.P.M (totally integrated power module) under the Fuse Panel on passenger side, usually it goes all at once but could be sometimes intermittent, I'll give you a site where you can get a test wire and jumper wire to check the circuit.

Used TIPMs - Products ↓ | Vertical Visions

Thanks SO much for the link! I'll order the fuel pump relay bypass wire and give this a try. This sounds exactly like what the problem might be, ie doesn't start when cold and getting worse over time. Probably gonna take a while to get the bypass but I will definitely let you all know if it works!

OP
OP
S

Sean J Blackburn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I went to the site dodge 1500 4x4 posted. Unfortunately, they don't sell a jumper wire for the 2010 model year (starts at 2011). I did swap out the starter solenoid relay just for something quick and easy to try. Anyone how I can bypass the fuel pump relay on a 2010 1500 to see if that is indeed the problem?

OP
OP
S

Sean J Blackburn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
On the advice in this thread, I triple checked wiring and it seems OK. I also pulled the throttle body and it was almost spotless as the dealership had just run their fuel system cleaner through about 1000 miles ago. I cleaned it anyway. The truck stalled again today while driving so apparently the new pcm didn't fix anything. This time, it FINALLY threw a code, "p0884 power up at speed". I have found very little information on this code, am going to search through this site and hopefully find a fix. I have an appointment with dodge in a week and will report back

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
P0884 Possible Causes
What does this mean?
  • Transmission Control Module (TCM) Power and/or Ground connection
  • Faulty Transmission Control Module (TCM)
  • Transmission Control Module (TCM) harness is open or shorted
  • Transmission Control Module (TCM) circuit poor electrical connection

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
On the advice in this thread, I triple checked wiring and it seems OK. I also pulled the throttle body and it was almost spotless as the dealership had just run their fuel system cleaner through about 1000 miles ago. I cleaned it anyway. The truck stalled again today while driving so apparently the new pcm didn't fix anything. This time, it FINALLY threw a code, "p0884 power up at speed". I have found very little information on this code, am going to search through this site and hopefully find a fix. I have an appointment with dodge in a week and will report back

Sean.
Thank you for the updates.drives me nuts when following a thread and it never has a final outcome :O Like I said before I am no gear head but very interested in learning anything about our trucks :)