Truck turns over but will not start. 2003 Dodge 2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChadE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Came home from work Friday morning and parked truck in driveway. That afternoon tried to start it but would not start. When I turned key forward it turned over and all the halos showed up around the gear position indicators.

I disconnected battery and after 5 minutes reconnected. All the halos
disappeared. Turned key forward but did not try to start. Put truck in reverse and checked to see if reverse lights came on. Lights did work. Tried to start and just turned over but did not fire and all Halos appeared again.

Did another test and noticed that after battery was disconnected and the lights were reset I had to push brake in to change gears. When I try to start and all the halos appear I do not have to hold brake in to get gears to change. It sounds like the gears are changing and reverse lights come on when I move to what should be reverse.

Changed starter and ignition switch about 6 weeks ago. Battery has good charge. Nothing dims when trying to start. Anybody have any ideas what I could test or check?

Snake15eyes1998

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If your truck is cranking, try giving her a fuel source. Spray some starting fluid or throttle body cleaner into the intake. That would be my next move. See what she does. That will tell you what to look into next, Depending on what happens.

OP
OP
C

ChadE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Went on to mess with truck and had somewhat of a helper(daughter) When key is turned I can hear fuel pump kick on. When she tried to start it it I got just 1 click and the fan turned about half a turn. Batter still has good charge and nothing dimmed when trying to start, But all the halos around gear indicator reappear. Can get them to disappear by disconnecting battery.

Snake15eyes1998

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The title of your post and what's actually going on, sounds like 2 very different things.

Karlsweg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Sounds like a grounding issue. Check and clean all grounds and put a coat of white lithium grease on them. I had similar issue and after cleaning the ground to the block/battery with a scuff pad. It was fine for awhile. Found some grounds broken so I added new ground cables and all is well. Did you try turning the key to the “Run”
Position with the truck in park, try jumping the starter with a screwdriver between the spade and battery post on the starter.

OP
OP
C

ChadE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Cleaned off all the grounds up. Found nothing broken. Have not tried jumping starter yet as have not found a good way to see the top side and getting screwdriver in with way it is mounted.