2017 dodge will not start after jump starting another truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yenilopez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yesterday our work truck died and so we went to jump start it with our dodge I went home, parked it and went on with my day.. in the afternoon when we tried to use it it wouldn’t start. The battery is only about a month old we haven’t had any issues with the truck it was running perfectly fine until we attempted to jump start the other truck. The battery seems to be good, windows, radio lights and all come on but it just won’t start it just clicks. We get the message on the dashboard “ignition or accessory on) also the break is really hard. We already checked fuses, unhooked the battery, swapped the battery and nothing.. anyone experienced this?

bm02tj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You made the mistake of leaving your truck running well boosting and a voltage spike damaged something
It could be anything hope it is not to costly to fix advise us when you know

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OP, did U hook up directly battery to battery on both vehicles, ie., Hot to Hot, Cold to Cold?

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You made the mistake of leaving your truck running well boosting and a voltage spike damaged something
It could be anything hope it is not to costly to fix advise us when you know

This is something that doesn't get talked about, often enough.

Back in the 80s, we always started the vehicle that was donating a boost and usually maintained a very high idle while the boosted vehicle was cranking.

Looking back on those days, I suspect the practice wasn't such a great idea. Moving ahead 10-40 years, now I know without question, that it's a very bad idea, especially for our rolling microcomputers.

Your battery is the tool to use for providing a boost, why would you risk damaging the endless digital systems in your vehicle when it is completely unnecessary and serves no purpose?

The donating vehicle should never be on while boosting!

With the donating vehicle OFF, most systems will be protected.

I strongly prefer to make all the jumper connections myself and if you don't do it regularly, refresh your memory with the correct order of operations and connection points.

This could potentially fry your truck, don't let anyone pressure you into rushing the connection process.

1 MEAN66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT-MDS
Confused like a few others here. You went to jump start the company truck with your "dodge". Then drove it home. I assume being a 2017 it is a "RAM". The problem "symptom" of your truck not starting occurred later that day. after you drove it home. What was YOUR no start - sounds like a no crank?? As others have asked was the engine running when you hooked it to the other vehicle? If not, did you start it once it was hooked up.? If you attempted to start the company vehicle were you successful. Whether you were successful or not at starting the company truck, with yours running or not. Did you have to start yours to drive it home? Or did you just drive away? If you are getting a single "click" each time you put the key in the "crank" position, but the engine is not "turning over". TRY THIS: 1) Take a 1/2 " extension hold it snuggly against the starter housing, 2) hit the other end of the extension with a hammer, 3) then try to start it. I have even done this (the hit) while someone is holding the key in the crank position. Sometimes the brushes to not make a good contact on the commutator and the shock of the hit bounces them off and it will crank. But not sure if you are getting a single Click, or multiple Clicks as you put the key in the crank position.