Truck won’t start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jascobai

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Hello everyone, I’ve had my truck for about 12 years. It’s a 1993 D250. This is my second 1st gen that I’ve owned. I drive a company truck and my dodge has been sitting for long periods of time without starting. I replaced the battery today and all the lights and buzzer come on but when I try to crank it up, it doesn’t start. I did notice that the ignition switch no longer has the “springy” feel to it. I turn the ignition and it stays in place, it doesn’t spring back to the original position. I’m sure that is what is causing it not to crank but I know there are a lot of knowledgeable people for these trucks and wanted to see if someone knew of a thread that could walk me through how to fix it. Thank you in advance.

ginandtonic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nothing at all, no attempts at turning over, no clicking.. just silence when I turn the key

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well, it's probably just the ignition switch if it doesn't feel right. I never replaced one before but they are pretty easy to get, like 40 bucks at AutoZone. I think it's mostly just a matter of pulling off the plastic sheath from the steering wheel and wiring the new one on. You should try hot wiring it first though to make sure that's the problem before you order a new switch.