Truck won't start when it's -15°F or below

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

05ram1500SLT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My truck cranks and cranks but won't start if the temp gets below -15°F. While it is cranking it tries to start but just can't. It seems like the engine fires but just not enough to keep it going. Today was kinda odd because it was -18 out and I was cranking it for a good minute before it finally got over whatever was holding it back and started. My friends also have 3rd gen Rams and they never have any problems when it gets cold out. I have also added HEAT to my tank to make sure the gas wasn't freezing but this didn't help the problem at all. Anybody have any idea what could be wrong?

Marley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's cold.
I would invest in an engine block heater from etrailer or Amazon.

Your issue is not uncommon at those temps.

ad80721

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mine starts at -25.... check your EGR system. Is there any codes? check engine light?

Quyonmob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's cold.
I would invest in an engine block heater from etrailer or Amazon.

Your issue is not uncommon at those temps.

It’s cold, but it should fire off nonetheless.

Block heaters only work if you have a place to plug it in.

OP
OP
05ram1500SLT

05ram1500SLT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It’s cold, but it should fire off nonetheless.

Block heaters only work if you have a place to plug it in.
It seems to me like it is firing but something won't let it completely start. Little puffs of exhaust come out while I'm cranking it.

aheeejd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
It seems to me like it is firing but something won't let it completely start. Little puffs of exhaust come out while I'm cranking it.
Did you ever figure this out. I've got an 03 1500 with a 4.7 and it is hard to start every time it gets cold. Like 30°.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Try a fuel additive to melt any ice in the fuel system. Could have some moisture in the system freezing up the injectors. Summer fuel isn't meant for the winter, but once you fill with winter gas the fuel should not be an issue. If that truck has a fuel filter besides just the in tank pick up screen I'd change it.

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Coolant Sensor or related wiring.If it's turning over good obviously it's not getting enough fuel to start it.Think carb engine with a a manual choke only half closed.Easy check would be to unplug the sensor and see if if fires right up.Don't leave it running this way though the PCM WILL THINK IT'S SOMETHING LIKE -38 DEGREES AND BE DUMPING LOTS OF FUEL.Visually inspect the terminals(harness side and sensor)for white crystals(silicate from leaking coolant) or just plain green death(corrosion).

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Dang thats cold...I'd move...jk.

No, I would...but sorry about your starting issue

PolarisCobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Don't add Heet, or anything else with Alcohol to the gas. You are very likely using gas with 10% ethanol in it (ethanol is alcohol). You don't need to add any more. If you are sure you are using 100% gasoline, you can add the drygas, but don't add it to gas with ethanol in it. It won't help at all.

FYI - I have started my truck at -20 without issue. How many miles on your spark plugs? Is the air filter clean?

What are you using for oil? if the oil is too thick, you may have trouble getting the engine to spin fast enough.

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Get a scan tool or code reader on it and check your sensor readings or do like I said and try unplugging the sensor.If it fires right up you know where to look.

Just noticed another thread on here about bad coolant sensors.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat