TT/Supporting mods suggestions...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Cool. 1160.

Curb weight is GVWR minus Payload.

The max towing figure is a bit deceiving. It is GCWR minus Curb weight. Which as you see...doesnt provide a driver or a hitch.

So 6950 minus 1160 is 5790

13500 minus 5790 is 7710. 7710 is everything you can combine to your truck.

So you said the UVW of the trailer is 5335 with a TW of 630. So you got the trailer of 5965. Remember...this is the least your trailer will weigh.

A WDH is usually about 100lbs. So. 6065 is at the back of your truck.

TW is part of payload. 1160 minus 630 and the 100lbs hitch is 430lbs left for your truck.

So that would be the room for you and anything you put in the truck. But...you have room to put things in the trailer.

So lets say you put 1000lbs in the trailer. That is only about 120lbs added to the truck. Which allows you to have 310lbs in the truck.

When you hook up the weight distribution hitch...you will distribute the weight and be fine.

And there is a bit of capacity left ...just be sure to get weight back to the steer axle

Hope this helps. Hope the numbers make sense.

Any questions just ask.

I think you will be fine towing that trailer. Keep the speeds safe and prepare for any hills or mountains. You got a good combo there.

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Dry weight of a thousand pounds more means you lost your carrying capacity.

You might not be able to pull that one they way you need

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Never go by dry weights when trying to determine whether you can or can't or should or, shouldn't buy a particular trailer. Trailers loaded and ready to camp are always more (much) than the dry weight.

I typically use gvwr so I know I have more margin. I always like to have margin and not be maxed out. Others don't need as much margin or don't worry about it. That is their choice. Another quick way I figure is 80% of tow rating against trailer GVWR.

My truck has a 13,600lb tow rating 80% of that is 10,880. With my 6 speed transmission and 3.73 gearing I know for sure I would not want to attempt to tow anything heavier than that.

So if I look at trailers 10,800 lb GVWR (not dry) and under I would still be pushing things, but have some margin.

There are many ways to determine this stuff. I just feel that if you have to do a lot of heavy number crunching, your pushing the limits too much and you need more truck or less trailer.

Just my thoughts....

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Make sure you do the math on camping costs, RV parks are not free. All in, your costs to live in an RV can easily equal a small apartment, depending of course on what region you are in. It’s not impossible to save money, but it’s not guaranteed either.

A good WDH is really all you need, I’ve towed plenty of TT in that size range with various pickups and SUVs.

Living on the road with no financial reserves would give me pause. Stuff happens.

Most trailers are not built to withstand the wear and tear of continuous occupancy. The materials are cheap and thin. Doesn’t mean it’s not possible, just be prepared for maintenance.

If you have RV’d before, you probably know these things. If this will be your first experience, tread carefully.

Best wishes on your new career direction.
Agree with above, adding bags should not be necessary if you are at proper weight, just more to fix down the road. And camping is not always a cheap alternative. I lived in a camper for about a year in Virginia so not brutally cold. If you don't have electric heat that can keep up with camper loss, propane is really expensive. A four seasons camper is a must if living in it. And campgrounds will make sure site cost covers electric usage so it can be cheap or expensive depending on utility rate. Not saying to drop idea, I really enjoyed it. But I could have definitely rented cheaper and had both truck and trailer paid off. Good luck.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
My son has practically lived in RV parks the last year or so. The one he is in now in Texas is about $700/month plus electric but has great amenities. He has been in about 5 different ones in that time and they were all about $600-800/month. His camper is about 32' coupler to spare tire

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
So that is saying a 13% tongue weight

Add the 1000lbs and you are at 6920. 13% hitch is 900lbs.

Your payload is 1160. WDH about 100 ...so you would have 160lbs you could put in the truck.

There is a bit of capacity above payload...but I wouldnt want to play to far into it.

You would have to go to a scale anf see what it really weighs.

It would be close...but not fun at that length

OP
OP

4eyedconekiller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
So that is saying a 13% tongue weight

Add the 1000lbs and you are at 6920. 13% hitch is 900lbs.

Your payload is 1160. WDH about 100 ...so you would have 160lbs you could put in the truck.

There is a bit of capacity above payload...but I wouldnt want to play to far into it.

You would have to go to a scale anf see what it really weighs.

It would be close...but not fun at that length

Well *****. So I’m trying not to read toomuch into it (or be incredibly dense) but I’m getting the vibe that this one should be a pass, correct? This one has a PERFECT layout, and one of the best uses of space I’ve seen. :(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Well *****. So I’m trying not to read toomuch into it (or be incredibly dense) but I’m getting the vibe that this one should be a pass, correct? This one has a PERFECT layout, and one of the best uses of space I’ve seen. :(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Upgrade to a 2500 then if you want that one

OP
OP

4eyedconekiller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Upgrade to a 2500 then if you want that one

If it was in the current budget (bad financial decisions pre-divorce) we def wouldn’t be having this discussion. Thanks for your input. Seeing the numbers was a little deflating, and I was open enough to share it. Not apologizing.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
I hear you about budgets but just want to throw this out there. The 2019 1500's have a higher payload that may get you within limits.

All that being said, I don't think the weight would be a deal killer. You might be over with your current truck but depending how much you tow and how far you go you might be able to get away with it. The length will make the higher crosswinds a little uncomfortable but if you keep your speeds a little lower you should be ok. Not saying it's legal but MANY people are towing TT's similar to the one you posted with 1500's every day. My step-son has a 26'er with a dry weight of about 5500lbs and he towed it with his 2019 1500 and his 2020 Tundra. I think he may have towed it with his 2015 1500 too but not positive about that. But he said his tows with no issues

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
It is so hard to say @4eyedconekiller .

Some people are towing some ridiculous sized campers with 1500 trucks.

Terrain has a lot to do with it. If you are going to be in flat country...you can tow a little more. In hilly country...tow a little less.

But you sure do not want to find out going down a steep grade that you overloaded your truck.

Then the manufacturers lie about their numbers.

If that was maximum hitch weight they listed it would be fine. But the hitch weight is usually figured off of unlaiden weight.

If you could test tow it to a scale..that would be best case scenario.

Your experience level would also have to be considered and the weather where you are headed.

But that is a big camper.

Last edited:

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I am camping right now watching people leave. There are some very mismatch setups.

But some people only live 7 miles out the road and only camp here and only camp if the weather is beautiful.

People on this site and others are well overload and claim their 1500 tows like a dream.

I tow with about 2k payload in the truck. Cannot do that with a 1500. And my trailer is only 5700lbs. So I could tow with a 1500...just take 2 vehicles.

If you are only making one long tow and can take your time getting there...then maybe go a little into capacity. If you will be towing long distances often...it is gonna get old.

I wish I could just say get it. But id you weigh all the pros and cons and feel safe. Get it.

OP
OP

4eyedconekiller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I was going to do a big multi quote, but it would’ve been a couple of pages long, LOL.

With what I am intending on doing, leaning closer to caution is better suited. I’m a noob at towing a travel trailer, not towing in general, which lends itself to something that’s a bit more within limits. The adventurous part of my current lifestyle means that I’ll never have a full clue where I’m going, or the weather in which I am going to be towing. With that said, I value you guys thoughts and opinions very highly.

Where there is no counsel, the people fall;
But in the multitude of counselors there is safety.
Proverbs 11:14

For by wise counsel you will wage your own war,
And in a multitude of counselors there is safety.
Proverbs 24:6

They make campers every day!

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Awesome. We enjoy helping. There are alot of people who just hook and go. They may have a great experience...or they may just not know they are having a bad one.

I often think...they must have never had a deer jump out in front of them...or nailed an expansion joint on a bridge in a crosswind.

You are making smart decisions.

I am surprised we didnt get any of the people telling us we are full of ****...load it and go.

Hope you find the perfect one soon

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
If it was in the current budget (bad financial decisions pre-divorce) we def wouldn’t be having this discussion. Thanks for your input. Seeing the numbers was a little deflating, and I was open enough to share it. Not apologizing.

Good scripture, thanks for that especially on a Sunday when I was camping myself and couldn't attend church.

As DD said, I saw TONS of half ton trucks way overloaded this weekend. Rear squatted hard, headlights up, pulling large TTs well over 30' long. Crazy stuff. Sounds like you are making good, level headed decisions. Well done Sir.

If you can't go 2500 that's ok, they are not for everyone. You can tow heavy with a half ton. I did it for years, but the margin for error is much less so you really have to have a good set up. Good luck

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
It is so hard telling you not to get a perfect trailer.

I just watched a guy leave. He had atleast 8 inches of extra gap at the front and the rear was on the bump stops. He looked happy as a lark pulling his 30 plus foot camper.

There is no way that could be fun.

I wish you could go hook up to the trailer and see.

Maybe it doesnt have 13% tongue weight. Maybe the listed tongue weight is loaded...but It usually isn't.

Ugh.

Toddz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
You have gotten great advise above. As someone who towed with a 1/2 ton for years, you really have to watch your numbers.

As mentioned in previous posts, you have a little above your GVWR of 6950 to play with. That is because your GAWR both front and rear are 3900 each (7800 lbs).

Your tires are ok, but at the weights you're looking at you might want to go a minimum C class tire and air bags. Also invest in a tongue weight scale no matter what trailer you pick because that will always be your trucks week link (I had to do all the above to mine). Also the CAT scales are your friend no matter what you tow with.

always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. Ephesians 5.20

Last edited:

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just wanted to chime in and give you some real world numbers from my trailer. My trailer has a dry tongue of 650. Those brochure weights are almost always light. Figure you'll add 100 lbs for a battery and full propane tanks. The brochure weight includes empty tanks only. My trailer ready for camping is 1100 on the tongue. It's doable for me but I might scale back in the near future. I don't have a ton of stuff in the pass thru either. Watch your tongue weight. It'll creep up really fast. My trailer is 33' and weighs 7600 wet (6500 dry)

Last edited: