TT/Supporting mods suggestions...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4eyedconekiller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
About to be a first time travel nurse, and contemplating making the plunge on a a travel trailer right off the bat.

I have No money reserves, but hate the idea of giving away half my stipend and having very little In return. Looking at an assignment with variable hours, so it would be difficult to have roommates.

Looking for a 20-27’ TT. 5K# or less dry. Pulling with my EcoDiesel. Traveling solo.

Already looking at adding airbags, buying a WDH, and making sure brakes and shocks/struts are in good working order.

Suggestions? Thoughts?

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Your on the right track. 5k or less will be no problem for your truck imo. Mine is a 26.5ft bunk house weighs about 7500 loaded. Taken thru mountains hills the whole 9 no issues. My truck is a cc 4x4 with 3.21 gears and a hemi. Wdh with stabilizer bars is a must if you ate traveling a lot. Airbags would likely help you even with a 5k lb tt as I assume living in it your going to have a lot loaded up. Upgrading tires will help some with sway. Best thing to do is take your time and remember you towing a 20+ft sail that weighs as much or more than your truck so it is gonna move you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk all grammar errors brought you by fat fingers and auto correct.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Make sure you do the math on camping costs, RV parks are not free. All in, your costs to live in an RV can easily equal a small apartment, depending of course on what region you are in. It’s not impossible to save money, but it’s not guaranteed either.

A good WDH is really all you need, I’ve towed plenty of TT in that size range with various pickups and SUVs.

Living on the road with no financial reserves would give me pause. Stuff happens.

Most trailers are not built to withstand the wear and tear of continuous occupancy. The materials are cheap and thin. Doesn’t mean it’s not possible, just be prepared for maintenance.

If you have RV’d before, you probably know these things. If this will be your first experience, tread carefully.

Best wishes on your new career direction.

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
You don’t have to do anything special for a trailer that size. A good weight distribution hitch with sway control, and keeping up with maintenance would serve you fine.

No cash reserves is a worry. Things do and will break that can be a minor annoyance for a short trip, but become big issues when full-timing. Most small campers don’t hold up well to full-timing, and those that do aren’t cheap.

Not to discourage, but consider all the possibilities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP

4eyedconekiller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Your on the right track. 5k or less will be no problem for your truck imo. Mine is a 26.5ft bunk house weighs about 7500 loaded. Taken thru mountains hills the whole 9 no issues. My truck is a cc 4x4 with 3.21 gears and a hemi. Wdh with stabilizer bars is a must if you ate traveling a lot. Airbags would likely help you even with a 5k lb tt as I assume living in it your going to have a lot loaded up. Upgrading tires will help some with sway. Best thing to do is take your time and remember you towing a 20+ft sail that weighs as much or more than your truck so it is gonna move you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk all grammar errors brought you by fat fingers and auto correct.

For sure. That’s why I am trying to stay lighter. Kinda anxious to see how the EcoD does with that kinda load.

Make sure you do the math on camping costs, RV parks are not free. All in, your costs to live in an RV can easily equal a small apartment, depending of course on what region you are in. It’s not impossible to save money, but it’s not guaranteed either.

A good WDH is really all you need, I’ve towed plenty of TT in that size range with various pickups and SUVs.

Living on the road with no financial reserves would give me pause. Stuff happens.

Most trailers are not built to withstand the wear and tear of continuous occupancy. The materials are cheap and thin. Doesn’t mean it’s not possible, just be prepared for maintenance.

If you have RV’d before, you probably know these things. If this will be your first experience, tread carefully.

Best wishes on your new career direction.

I’m just now doing some digging around. Exploring all options. I’d prefer to buy a used nicer one than a cheap new one. Time will tell, for sure.

You don’t have to do anything special for a trailer that size. A good weight distribution hitch with sway control, and keeping up with maintenance would serve you fine.

No cash reserves is a worry. Things do and will break that can be a minor annoyance for a short trip, but become big issues when full-timing. Most small campers don’t hold up well to full-timing, and those that do aren’t cheap.

Not to discourage, but consider all the possibilities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks all for the wisdom!! I really do appreciate it.

Reserves: I’m actually looking to work for a few weeks to get some cash put back, and then pick up a TT.

I did however find one of these for a STEAL: https://www.rvusa.com/rv-guide/2020-gulf-stream-conquest-travel-trailer-floorplan-275fbg-tr44729

Nice layout, no extra slide out stuff. Little heavier than I was looking at, but it’s a dealership that’s closing. Can buy for 10,500.

Toddbigboytruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
About to be a first time travel nurse, and contemplating making the plunge on a a travel trailer right off the bat.

I have No money reserves, but hate the idea of giving away half my stipend and having very little In return. Looking at an assignment with variable hours, so it would be difficult to have roommates.

Looking for a 20-27’ TT. 5K# or less dry. Pulling with my EcoDiesel. Traveling solo.

Already looking at adding airbags, buying a WDH, and making sure brakes and shocks/struts are in good working order.

Suggestions? Thoughts?
Congratulations with your new life choice I hope all the best for you
I think with what you have stated that you have a good head on your shoulder.
Now here is my 2 cents yes but used you save so much we have bought three trailers and every time we bought light use and had them until we out grew them

Towing well not knowing your configuration on your diesel rear end and your towing capacity but staying under 5000 lbs will be great

I would look into RV Care. It is like AAA for your trailer (I understand that money is a issue)

I hope you all the best and congratulations

csuder99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As you will be living in the trailer do yourself a favor and do a lot of research into travel trailers, especially construction details, durability, cold weather capability, reputation of manufacturer. The trailer mentioned above is tempting, especially at the price, but a dry weight of 4738 lbs with a length of 29'10" is kind of a red flag in my book. In comparison 25ft four season trailers come in at ~6000 lbs dry weight.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
I would look into the Keystone Premiers. Aluminum frame, aluminum framed walls, and insulated. If it was just me and my Missus, I would have the 22RBPR. Look at the 19ft or 22ft models. Might be better than the 27ft one you are looking at. Having the feeling of white knuckle ride with a large RV/travel trailer will make ya tired for sure over long distances. It might be some more money, but they look to be better built. My $0.02....

OP
OP

4eyedconekiller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Congratulations with your new life choice I hope all the best for you
I think with what you have stated that you have a good head on your shoulder.
Now here is my 2 cents yes but used you save so much we have bought three trailers and every time we bought light use and had them until we out grew them

Towing well not knowing your configuration on your diesel rear end and your towing capacity but staying under 5000 lbs will be great

I would look into RV Care. It is like AAA for your trailer (I understand that money is a issue)

I hope you all the best and congratulations

I really appreciate it. This forum is such a good wealth of knowledge!

As you will be living in the trailer do yourself a favor and do a lot of research into travel trailers, especially construction details, durability, cold weather capability, reputation of manufacturer. The trailer mentioned above is tempting, especially at the price, but a dry weight of 4738 lbs with a length of 29'10" is kind of a red flag in my book. In comparison 25ft four season trailers come in at ~6000 lbs dry weight.

I will continue to dig. This is why I ask - I wanna learn! I’d have never known to look at it like that.

I would look into the Keystone Premiers. Aluminum frame, aluminum framed walls, and insulated. If it was just me and my Missus, I would have the 22RBPR. Look at the 19ft or 22ft models. Might be better than the 27ft one you are looking at. Having the feeling of white knuckle ride with a large RV/travel trailer will make ya tired for sure over long distances. It might be some more money, but they look to be better built. My $0.02....

I will for sure look into them! Thank you!

RVGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you set up your wdh properly you won't need airbags. Airbags hide problems (and sometimes make them worse in the process) because they don't redistribute weight in a beneficial manner, if at all.

In terms of trailer, living in them is no easy task. They aren't meant to be, and it'll show. It's possible but you'll need to spend some time and money on the way. A good 3 season trailer is a good place to start but they're not light or cheap. Northwood is a good starting point, they make Arctic Fox, Snow River, and Nash travel trailers. Their sister manufacturer is Outdoors RV and they're also good. Montana is another go to trailer for people, Cougar, Winnebago is getting into the trailer game now too if you can find a good used one already.

What you need to do to make them liveable full time will depend on where you plan on living. Do you expect to see freezing temperatures often? Are you going to be moving around a lot? Will you always be plugged in to dependable power/water supplies? Are you going to have a dump station at your site? Will you be running off the small onboard propane cylinders or rent a larger 100lbs tank?

No matter what though, my main suggestion is if you plan on using the propane furnace you absolutely need to invest in a good dehumidifier. I cannot tell you the amount of trailers I've written off because mushrooms were growing in the carpet or between the walls of a lived in RV. The furnace kicks off a lot of moisture into the air and high humidity is not an RVs friend.

OP
OP

4eyedconekiller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I’ve been digging for months, and decided to hold off on both the KTM and the TH. Decided to go forward with a regular TT.

Think I’ve found a winner...

[/URL]

5355# Dry, 7500# GVWR, Hitch weight 630. Includes WD Hitch and all the expensive bits that come with starting a camper adventure. Second owner, no repairs. WInterized religiously. Arctic Package, Electric Jacks, etc.

Pics:
f6eca7dc1c5d4817221bd74ad81faaad.jpg

4fc71909abe02790f55e60f0c136218b.jpg
0ad5110d697ec3a98a1ab1ff7cbe0f1f.jpg
72e5ca81e20979dfe14b4fa00916d6b3.jpg
3ca93ee5e69c70acb99c6c45f0e70eed.jpg
45e43ea20e6c4639e7dbd67ae68d5060.jpg
cbe658422da3d043094de6adbd7d3b4e.jpg
7bb5e2b352784a061d217b248c214c30.jpg

Thoughts? Anyone had one of these???

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RAM DRVR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Looks good. Ask/make sure wheel bearings have been serviced. Operate everything several times to ensure they work properly.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I think that's going to be too heavy for your truck. 7500 dry, so 8500+ with cargo (probably a lot more if you're living in it and collecting things as you go, or have water in your tanks + propane on board etc). 8500 * 0.13 = 1100 pounds of payload.

For a 4th gen ED, that's probably already right at max payload (my brother's ED has < 1000), and you haven't even climbed in yourself yet.

You may be able to make it work, but considering you plan to do this permanently and often, I personally would go smaller (or trade your truck for a used 2500 hemi).

OP
OP

4eyedconekiller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Looks good. Ask/make sure wheel bearings have been serviced. Operate everything several times to ensure they work properly.
As far as I know, they’ve never been serviced. It’s currently still apparently got the original tires on it. Date code 4313.

I think that's going to be too heavy for your truck. 7500 dry, so 8500+ with cargo (probably a lot more if you're living in it and collecting things as you go, or have water in your tanks + propane on board etc). 8500 * 0.13 = 1100 pounds of payload.

For a 4th gen ED, that's probably already right at max payload (my brother's ED has < 1000), and you haven't even climbed in yourself yet.

You may be able to make it work, but considering you plan to do this permanently and often, I personally would go smaller (or trade your truck for a used 2500 hemi).

Maybe I’m reading the specs wrong, but it’s got a 53xx# dry weight, with a payload rating of 2145#, and a tongue weight of 630#. Truck is rated at 7600#. Fully loaded, I agree it would be a lot. As a travel nurse, I have a place full of stuff at home. I will travel with minimal tank fills and will be parked while I am on assignment. The jump to 8500# in your calcs is throwing me off. How does that correlate?

I have a lot to learn, so I’m asking questions to make sure what I’ve got my hands on.

OP
OP

4eyedconekiller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
here’s the chart for the EcoD...
4x4, CC, 5.7 Box, 3.55’s

fd20e9c69602cfe6e2dd9bc153032ef3.jpg

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
As far as I know, they’ve never been serviced. It’s currently still apparently got the original tires on it. Date code 4313.

Maybe I’m reading the specs wrong, but it’s got a 53xx# dry weight, with a payload rating of 2145#, and a tongue weight of 630#. Truck is rated at 7600#. Fully loaded, I agree it would be a lot. As a travel nurse, I have a place full of stuff at home. I will travel with minimal tank fills and will be parked while I am on assignment. The jump to 8500# in your calcs is throwing me off. How does that correlate?

I have a lot to learn, so I’m asking questions to make sure what I’ve got my hands on.

He read your post wrong.

Good luck. It looks like a winner if everything checks out.

Safe travels.

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
GCWR 13500

GVWR 6950

Camper 5335 TW 630

What is your payload on your door sticker...so I can figure your base weight?

You will have to tow with the tanks empty...but you can fill and dump at a campground.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

My bad, I did read your post wrong, I thought the 7500 was dry weight.