Tune up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Patriotswrath

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I mean on the Hemi the driver's side plugs are a PIA to do... But totally doable. There's really only one cylinder that's truly tough because it's right next to the brake booster. However, with some short extensions and a swivel, you can get them done and even manage to use a torque wrench on all of them.

If you don't want to do it yourself, an independent shop would be cheaper. I'm sure they "check" the wires that go to your coils, but that's about all they could be doing for plug wires. The air filter is a 5 min job. Plugs are completely possible for a first-time DIY in about an hour. The passenger side takes maybe 20 mins. The driver's 40-60 depending on your pain tolerance and contortion skills. The sixteen plugs are about $130 as said earlier.. But no that's a crazy price for the work being done. That's like 3.5-4 hours of labor.

Also watch what plugs you get, the 2009-2013 plugs are non laser iridium and are cheaper. The 2017 lasers are more if you want to stick with the OEM plug.

Last edited:

Terry Snapp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Does $966.95 sound right for a damn tune up on a 2017 1500 Express ?? That’s what the dealer quoted me.
Got mine done by an independent mechanic shop for just over $300
An he furnished the parts.
And it included fuel system cleaning.

rsdata

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 BigHorn 1500 8spd 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just had the 100K mile tune up last fall. Plugs and general look over of the engine at an independent shop...
$1150 included new battery ( $180) water pump, serpentine belt, thermostat, anti-freeze. Very happy with the work and price.

Summit1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
What sort of fuel injector "cleaning" would be included in the (OP's) dealer quote? One would think the injectors could be replaced for that quoted price.

mtwofeathers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 5.9
Does $966.95 sound right for a damn tune up on a 2017 1500 Express ?? That’s what the dealer quoted me.
Well I have to ask but how many miles? Hemi plugs last usually 30,000. Ive thrown iridium plugs away after I saw one was melted. Happened because of a lean injector. Using copper with no regrets. But that tune up might indicate they are doing a mileage service. You can do better tho.

jagman_xjs

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 2011 2019 2023
Engine
5.7 Hemi(s)
Well the beginning of wisdom is to ask questions. Frankly I DOUBT they are doing an injector cleaning. I use to work in a dealership and honesty usually is not there , hence why I left. I am glad you asked the question. Like others have said either do it yourself or take it to an independent shop because otherwise a fool and his money are soon parted.

Last edited:

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I mean on the Hemi the driver's side plugs are a PIA to do... But totally doable. There's really only one cylinder that's truly tough because it's right next to the brake booster. However, with some short extensions and a swivel, you can get them done and even manage to use a torque wrench on all of them.

If you don't want to do it yourself, an independent shop would be cheaper. I'm sure they "check" the wires that go to your coils, but that's about all they could be doing for plug wires. The air filter is a 5 min job. Plugs are completely possible for a first-time DIY in about an hour. The passenger side takes maybe 20 mins. The driver's 40-60 depending on your pain tolerance and contortion skills. The sixteen plugs are about $130 as said earlier.. But no that's a crazy price for the work being done. That's like 3.5-4 hours of labor.

Also watch what plugs you get, the 2009-2013 plugs are non laser iridium and are cheaper. The 2017 lasers are more if you want to stick with the OEM plug.

FYI - i emailed NGK last week to find out the difference between OEM "laser" Iridium and Iridium IX. Both have iridium coated central electrode, only the "laser" has iridium on the ground electrode. That is wasted money for a non-waste spark engine, like all 2013+ Hemi engines are. That's when they put on bigger coils to fire dual spark on the same cylinder. I'm going with Iridium IX. (2017 model year)

WY.Ram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
FYI - i emailed NGK last week to find out the difference between OEM "laser" Iridium and Iridium IX. Both have iridium coated central electrode, only the "laser" has iridium on the ground electrode. That is wasted money for a non-waste spark engine, like all 2013+ Hemi engines are. That's when they put on bigger coils to fire dual spark on the same cylinder. I'm going with Iridium IX. (2017 model year)
I recently went through the same routine due to the significant cost difference in the plugs. My conclusion was that Iridium was a 40,000 to 50,000 mi plug and the Laser Iridium was a 100,000 mile plug. The OE in my 2016 was the 100k plug so that's what I went with for a face slapping $300 or $350 gawddang redicoulous nightmare giving amount but that there is a difference.

My last set lasted no prob till 90k, so I don't think that part was fed to me but if the Iridium can last that long I'd rather not spend what I did on plugs for sure. if for any reason you don't need a 100k mi plug, then there are cheaper choices, for sure. I am hoping I really need that 100k plug. Lol

'16 Wagon Greene tune feed'n & fire'n 6.4L with 6spd 5.13 AAM, 37" KM3, -12mm Fuels Thuren Overland, DOR, Purple Cranium CAI, ARH, Solo Mach44 z36, EBC Custom vinyl AVS, 4% tint Morimoto, Rigid, Diode Dynamics AlfaOBD, Diablo, Nanny Kill, Locker bypass .................

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I recently went through the same routine due to the significant cost difference in the plugs. My conclusion was that Iridium was a 40,000 to 50,000 mi plug and the Laser Iridium was a 100,000 mile plug. The OE in my 2016 was the 100k plug so that's what I went with for a face slapping $300 or $350 gawddang redicoulous nightmare giving amount but that there is a difference.

My last set lasted no prob till 90k, so I don't think that part was fed to me but if the Iridium can last that long I'd rather not spend what I did on plugs for sure. if for any reason you don't need a 100k mi plug, then there are cheaper choices, for sure. I am hoping I really need that 100k plug. Lol

'16 Wagon Greene tune feed'n & fire'n 6.4L with 6spd 5.13 AAM, 37" KM3, -12mm Fuels Thuren Overland, DOR, Purple Cranium CAI, ARH, Solo Mach44 z36, EBC Custom vinyl AVS, 4% tint Morimoto, Rigid, Diode Dynamics AlfaOBD, Diablo, Nanny Kill, Locker bypass .................

My point is it doesn't make any difference for a direct-spark ignition system. Spark is only one way - from center electrode to ground tab. With the earlier waste spark Hemi engines (pre-2013) the spark goes both ways - once from center electrode to ground tab during compression, and once from ground tab to center electrode during exhaust.

The plug reverses polarity so requires anti-wear material (iridium) on BOTH electrodes. This is not needed for modern Hemis.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

You might want to read this,the hemi has been a coil on dual plug since 06.

Sparks and Recreation | Dodge Garage

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
You might want to read this,the hemi has been a coil on dual plug since 06.

Sparks and Recreation | Dodge Garage

Yes - but the coil was too small. They had a waste spark wire over to the far matching cylinder with exhaust upstroke. I had a 2012. I had access to more industry info at work then. They released the Hemi with existing stock COP's. Then they found out they couldn't meet emissions without dual plugs. Then they found out their stock coils couldn't fire dual plugs on combustion. Then they added a cross wire waste spark plug.

Only when they got a bigger coil pack did they throw all that away and fire dual direct. This was also why they had copper (nickel-plated) plugs ONLY on pre-13's. They couldn't fire the higher resistive plugs (platinum / iridium / ruthenium / unobtanium) with the old, weak, stock coils. And because of THAT - we all had to change plugs every 30,000 miles, because plain copper/nickel plugs erode that fast.

I remember reading all this in 2013 thinking "my god, what a kluge!!"

RWlRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
1994 4X4 - Replaced 12-31-17 with '04 1500 4X4
Engine
5.7 Hemi.....wow what a difference 10 years makes.....
This dealer sounds like the one I took my, new to me, used '04 to to have the air bag replaced and asked what was wrong with my AC system that didn't put out air.
They said that the "vacuum motors" in the AC system were leaking and needed replaced to the tune of $2000.00.
I knew immediately they didn't know what they were talking about.
Did more research and found the blend doors were plastic and broken and driven by "electric" stepper motors.
Ended up getting it fixed with metal doors for $1500.00.
Gotta ask questions.....

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I think plugs are approximately $8.00 each , so that’s $128.00 plus taxes . I do not now what other parts they plan to use . Air filters aren’t usually included with tune up. So I think the $9.66.95 is a lot to much to pay for plugs . Find an independent mechanic to do this for you. Never trust a dealer. Ever.

My local stealership quoted me $24+ per spark plug just a few months ago.

Throw in a couple hours of labor, and you're more than halfway there.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have looked several times over the years ,the coils are the same part number from 2006 until at least 2018. I have heard from many people on this and other forums swear that they went with different coils for the 100,000 mile plug change,not true . Same coils 2006 onward.

WY.Ram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...e&pd_rd_w=McvQp&pd_rd_wg=VD56S&ref_=pd_gw_unk

$6.06 per spark plug, Iridium IX. You don't need iridium on both electrodes with a 2013+ Hemi. See my note above.

Nothing like 400% + stealership markup, eh?
So the Iridium IX plug will fire for 100,000mi just like the Laser Iridium? I don't think that would be possible with the IX having nickel as the second electrode vs the Laser with platinum (not iridium, but both are precious metals, iridium and platinum, so the difference is mostly moot). But I don't know if that's what your saying and thats why I'm asking. I'm not sure longevity is what you are referring to with your above statement. legit question, I'm not being a dh. :)
Thanks

Octane

Reaction score
A hospital can charge $600 for aspirin.A dealership does the same thing only your truck is the patient.lol. Maybe change air filter and plugs.Listen to truck run....all sounds well.Tuned up! That'll be $966 go pay the clerk!

Octane

Reaction score
My bro. was only a saleman,he would tell me that the business absolutely worships at the almighty dollar altar.And lots of times just tell a customer anything to shut them up and get that dollar from sales to service...you name it and they'll do it(to you).