TUNING VALUE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dave Haddon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looking at many many threads I beg to ask. Is the purchase of a new PCM plus a Diablo tune and install really worth all the cost and effort?
It seems first off the expense is considerable for what is gained.
THe problems encountered are many and reported as time consuming and frustrating.

There are many questions left on the table if you make the jump.
What about the consumer who does not want all the dials and read outs..just give me an honest assessment of the value to my basically stock trucks performance.

Can I get feedback pro and con on these questions..
Appreciate any input...no disrespect intended to Diablo or Tuners..just want to do my homework before making a costly decision...thank you

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
I haven’t tuned a 5.7 specifically, so I’ll let others speak to the cost vs performance gains aspect. I’ll confine my remarks to market or resale value.

When I’ve sold used tuners before, it’s probably half the cost I get back. If that.

Shopping used vehicles, if I find a prospect is tuned, I don’t want it. It’s a deal breaker for me.

Not because I’m against it; I’ve tuned a number of mine and likely will do it again. But I never expect anything back from that investment other than some smiles.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Those are only answered by personal opinion. For me and my truck it was super easy and well worth it but that’s because I wanted the mds disabled properly and was tuning for general reasons. Power wise it makes a good bit more power but cost to hp ratio it’s not much for a stock truck. I have long tube headers and a 6.4 intake manifold.

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I did the Diablosport i3 and PCM swap. Yes, I swapped my PCM for an unlocked PCM. Its a part and it held nothing special in it. I can return my “swapped PCM” to stock in few minutes if I wanted to. My VIN was written into it just like if yours failed and dealership had to replace it. Cost $533 from Holley, super easy process.
I knew going into it I most likely was going to get a Hemifever 93 & Trans tune. The i3 supports this. Cost $325.
It is a simple small device you use to load the tune, then disconnect and put away, nothing you mount in windshield or anything. I didn’t want anything more but a good, proven 93 octane tune.
The difference in performance was startling. I have bolt-on mods (see my signature) with a couple more to do. My truck is running great with no issues. Caveat: Its been installed only a 4-5 days.
So far, it is awesome compared to before.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Looking at many many threads I beg to ask. Is the purchase of a new PCM plus a Diablo tune and install really worth all the cost and effort?
THe problems encountered are many and reported as time consuming and frustrating.

What about the consumer who does not want all the dials and read outs..just give me an honest assessment of the value to my basically stock trucks performance.

Appreciate any input...no disrespect intended to Diablo or Tuners..just want to do my homework before making a costly decision...thank you
Don't waste your money on a Diablo Dave,the good local tuners are all HP tuners now.Spring for HP. CCMR in Edmonton supposedly can unlock your PCM now.I haven't tried out their unlock,but i know a few guys who are using their unlocked PCM's and say they're as good as anybodies unlocked pcm.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Agree with above, go with HP. You can adjust simple things like fan settings and idle RPM yourself without bothering your tuner. You can also to a point with Diablo but its much more limited on the unit than in HP.

Diablo almost bricked my PCM so I'm a little biased towards HP.

OP
OP
Dave Haddon

Dave Haddon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is what a NOVICE OLD GUY NON MECHANICAL..Detective genius ( had to give myself some pluses) needs. I appreciate any leads guys..I am just as happy shining my baby my 1st new Ram Warlock as anything else. However i would like to explore the Tune thing and the murky waters of the misinformation on headers..but for now everyone just enjoy New Years..hope to keep you all in the loop and talk to you next year...BTW..if I cvan be of any help on my side of things do not hesitate to ask before you speak to anyone for Police/Criminal Code/Highway Traffic Act issues..cheers Dave in Saskatoon

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Agree with above, go with HP. You can adjust simple things like fan settings and idle RPM yourself without bothering your tuner. You can also to a point with Diablo but its much more limited on the unit than in HP.

Diablo almost bricked my PCM so I'm a little biased towards HP.
I did bump my idles up 100rpm with the i3, but I also see that there are fan settings. Were you ever able to adjust the cooling fans yourself? I will be installing a 180 Tstat next weekend, so I am curious. Thanks.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I did bump my idles up 100rpm with the i3, but I also see that there are fan settings. Were you ever able to adjust the cooling fans yourself? I will be installing a 180 Tstat next weekend, so I am curious. Thanks.
I was able to with my Trinity as well. It just didn't save so every time I flashed a tune I had to reset the idle/fan...

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

If you are stock and staying close to stock, and running 87 or 89 octane fuel - IMO the cost benefit ratio for tuning is not good.
It's not like the days of 10-30 yrs ago when a tune would make a big difference on a stock motor. The stock tune is pretty good for a stock 87/89 fuel truck.
Now if you just want to play with it or plan on decent mods, well then tuning makes sense.
Just don't expect to gain 50hp and 5 mpg with a tune on a stock truck - at a cost of $500-1000+.

OP
OP
Dave Haddon

Dave Haddon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi Paco..appreciate the stright goods..Kinda what i thought. That said your words "play with it or plan decent mods"..can you describe to the Novice boy here what you might be thinking in way of mods...The most I could see would be ceramic coated headers from someone..and installed by someone...???...hitting the sack ..raising a glass to the New Year and my 75th year...the rainbow bridge is not far off in my heritage so thought i might have a little fun..no racing or stuff just some fun..Cheers Paco

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I have HP. I've used them before long ago on other cars/suv/etc.

I have 2021 truck and at the time HP didn't support it. It still doesn't fully.
Their new module and software does more. It does cost more than diablo, but is way better.
I also purchased a new module. not the swap.

My truck still has warranty if there is issue, I wanted to put everything back.

As Paco mentioned above. If you aren't going to change anything, then you are mostly wasting money.
Playing with trans is fun, even stock.

I'm doing it for fun. First thing I did, was removed the 170km limit. I drive on toll highway that is mostly empty.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I have HP. I've used them before long ago on other cars/suv/etc.

I have 2021 truck and at the time HP didn't support it. It still doesn't fully.
Their new module and software does more. It does cost more than diablo, but is way better.
I also purchased a new module. not the swap.

My truck still has warranty if there is issue, I wanted to put everything back.

As Paco mentioned above. If you aren't going to change anything, then you are mostly wasting money.
Playing with trans is fun, even stock.

I'm doing it for fun. First thing I did, was removed the 170km limit. I drive on toll highway that is mostly empty.
For just a little 345 smallblock,the trucks will open your eyeballs up, for how fast they are wide open with the limiter removed. Going to a carshow awhile ago,i had the cruise set at about 60 mph,when a 71 429 Cyclone passed me,so i figured i'd see what he had,his old 429 topped out at just under 130,so i pulled out and passed him like he was in 2nd gear.He looked me up at the car show wanting to know how the hell a late model Dodge truck could pass him that easily,lol

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
For just a little 345 smallblock,the trucks will open your eyeballs up, for how fast they are wide open with the limiter removed. Going to a carshow awhile ago,i had the cruise set at about 60 mph,when a 71 429 Cyclone passed me,so i figured i'd see what he had,his old 429 topped out at just under 130,so i pulled out and passed him like he was in 2nd gear.He looked me up at the car show wanting to know how the hell a late model Dodge truck could pass him that easily,lol

few days ago. I was driving on 407 around 3:00 am. Was only driving 150-155km. Passed only vehicle, which was truck. 5 mins later, it was next to me. beeping and waving at me.
They took off. I noticed it was blue raptor. Figured I check if they removed the limit on their truck. 10mins later, pulled up to side of them, waved.
They tried to keep up, but all I seen was lights fading.

I stopped at Tims to get coffee. Around 10 mins later, they showed up at same Tims. Said we weren't racing you, one of your back lights are out.
Opps, ya I broke it off-roading when I hit a tree haven't fixed it yet :)

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi Paco..appreciate the stright goods..Kinda what i thought. That said your words "play with it or plan decent mods"..can you describe to the Novice boy here what you might be thinking in way of mods...The most I could see would be ceramic coated headers from someone..and installed by someone...???...hitting the sack ..raising a glass to the New Year and my 75th year...the rainbow bridge is not far off in my heritage so thought i might have a little fun..no racing or stuff just some fun..Cheers Paco
Happy New Year!

Shorty headers aren't going to gain much, long tube headers and a tune will gain some.
Most people go to shorty headers more to fix a broken bolt problem - actual power gain is minimal,but there are a few models that help with the power curve.

By playing with it - playing with the shift points in the trans, removing MDS, removing rev/speed limiter, changing throttle rate (this one you can feel but it really doesn't add any power), etc.

Decent mods - cam, long tube headers, etc.

There's always the Pulsar and Pedal commander for just fun and can sometimes be bought used, warranty won't detect them, and are simple to use.
Pedal commander basically changes the rate on how fast the throttle opens - since there isn't a throttle cable and it's done electronically.
Pulsar does that but has I think 8 different tunes in it that are easily to change between them.

Last edited:

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Happy New Year!

Shorty headers aren't going to gain much, long tube headers and a tune will gain some.
Most people go to shorty headers more to fix a broken bolt problem - actual power gain is minimal,but there are a few models that help with the power curve.

By playing with it - playing with the shift points in the trans, removing MDS, removing rev/speed limiter, changing throttle rate (this one you can feel but it really doesn't add any power), etc.

Decent mods - cam, long tube headers, etc.

There's always the Pulsar and Pedal commander for just fun and can sometimes be bought used, warranty won't detect them, and are simple to use.
Pedal commander basically changes the rate on how fast the throttle opens - since there isn't a throttle cable and it's done electronically.
Pulsar does that but has I think 8 different tunes in it that are easily to change between them.

Dave has already started down the path lol! He has some good bolt-on plans.

As for my path, I will relay my experience with the Edge Pulsar for any considering it…I installed one in 2019 when I was under warranty. It shut my truck off twice in one day under normal driving conditions. I promptly returned it.
Pedal Commander, heck yeah! Running one 2018 - present. I kept it even after Hemifever. Why? It works great and I can turn it off in seconds for the wife, teenager or valet/service. I did talk to HF about it and he left my sensitivity alone.

Last edited: