Turn on fog lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cgugler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi, not sure if this been asked before or not. I just purchased a 2017 ram 2500 tradesman. Does anyone know how to turn the fog lights on? We cannot figure it out for the life of us. On mine, the headlight button doesn't push in. Sorry if this is a stupid question..

OP
OP
C

cgugler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
that im not sure on. i know there has been a lot of aftermarket stuff put on it. its possible the owner before me put it on aftermarket as well.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I didn't know there even was a Ram Tradesman.
YUP, Lower Trim Level, usually more set up, and ordered for fleet trucks/business. Like post #2, Mtnrider said, not normally spec for Tradesman models

ttttt.JPG

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi, not sure if this been asked before or not. I just purchased a 2017 ram 2500 tradesman. Does anyone know how to turn the fog lights on? We cannot figure it out for the life of us. On mine, the headlight button doesn't push in. Sorry if this is a stupid question..
Post a pic of your front bumper

OP
OP
C

cgugler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Probably not a good enough picture but this is what I have.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220730-165650.png
    Screenshot_20220730-165650.png
    420.9 KB · Views: 114
OP
OP
C

cgugler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
YUP, Lower Trim Level, usually more set up, and ordered for fleet trucks/business. Like post #2, Mtnrider said, not normally spec for Tradesman models

View attachment 499233
Mine has the off road package in it. but also has a lot of after market add ons to it as well. so its definitly possible that the fog lights are aftermarket.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

The picture is pretty bad but those look factory? Previous could have done a bumper swap on it though? I'd look and see if they are even wired up for starters.

OP
OP
C

cgugler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The picture is pretty bad but those look factory? Previous could have done a bumper swap on it though? I'd look and see if they are even wired up for starters.

I honestly don't know. It had been in a fender bender, nothing to make air bags deploy. So I think the bumper is a aftermarket..I'll have to check and see if they even are wired.

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
How about a pic of your interior showing the headlight switch etc

process of elimination:

1. They Look like factory fogs.
2. do you have the interior switch?
3. Are there (good) bulbs in the lights?
4. Are they connected Fogs connected to power ?
5. Is the fuse good?

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That bumper looks aftermarket for some reason. Something about it seems different to me. I'd stick your head under the bumper to see if they are wired for starters. If they are maybe start following the wires to see where they go.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I honestly don't know. It had been in a fender bender, nothing to make air bags deploy. So I think the bumper is a aftermarket..I'll have to check and see if they even are wired.

It's a factory bumper but people swap them out all the time. Maybe he had chrome before or just wanted one with the fog cutouts etc? The fact that you don't have the switch on the headlight dial is a pretty good indicator that it didn't come with them. Looks like he tried to "black" it out. The fender flares are not original either, not something that comes on a tradesman.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's a factory bumper but people swap them out all the time. Maybe he had chrome before or just wanted one with the fog cutouts etc? The fact that you don't have the switch on the headlight dial is a pretty good indicator that it didn't come with them. Looks like he tried to "black" it out. The fender flares are not original either, not something that comes on a tradesman.

WHAT MtnRider said. The fact no switch on the dial is the tell tale. Truck did not originally come with fog lights. SO now U gotta start looking and tracing wires, to see if they R hooked up, power, like others have said. Could there also be another switch, added in (aftermarket as PPL say), somewhere that controls those fogs, or was there a bumper swap. Internetguessnosis at it's best, and something, OP< U gonna have to check, as there is no way ne of us could know without being there, just saying.

OP
OP
C

cgugler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
thank you all for your recommendations. i will stick my head under the bumper and see if i can find wires for the fogs. some of you said the bumper looks factory, i dont know what factory usually is on these particular trucks but mine is a metal bumper. one of you said if they are wired in, look for a switch to turn them on. we did look but cant find anything. if i find wires, i will follow them and see if they are even wired in. thanks again for all your help.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Someone may have bolted up a Bighorn bumper

They may have put a switch in a cubby some where
or maybe they did not get that far with the mod

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are you sure you have OEM fog lights? Not something normally spec'd on a tradesman.
It coulda been special ordered that way. I know a gal who had just a regular trim first-get Durango that came with the 5.9L V8

roadrnnr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I installed Factory fogs in my 2011 slt. Did not come with them.
If you'rs has not had them activated you have to wire up the underside of the fuse box. There is a dummy plug in the slot they would go in from underneath.
Can't remember which socket, you'll have to get a wiring diagram for your year.
Then replace the switch with a fog light included switch and the best part you have to have your dealer go into the sales code and change it to fog equipped to activate them.

Intense-Dakota

Landscape and Nature Photographer
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a tradesman with factory fog lights. There really wasn't a marking but you just pushed in (towards the dash) on the light dial. Once on though, they stayed on for each restart.