Turn signal issues on '97 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jpilk99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've read a number of posts on this, but, not sure why my issue is. For what it's worth, this truck is 'new' to me after having sat for 6 years. She's on the road now, running great, but, there is odd behavior going on with turn signal lights and it varies when the brakes or headlights/running lights are on.

At first, I just basic issues getting ANY turn signal bulbs to light up. So, I went to the junk yard and got the 'Turn Signal/Multi-function control' switch, which I think came out of an '01. Turn signals then worked perfectly ...or seemed to. I hadn't driven at night, so didn't test what things were like with the running/head-lights - and after doing do, I have a mixture of:

• Very slow turn signals with lights on
  • With lights AND brakes, no turn signals
  • Sometimes, when I turn Right turn signal either Both or left blinker blink....

I bought 2 new signal Flashers, with a tiiiiiiiiiiiny difference - blinkers blink a little quicker, but, still all the odd lighting/non-lighting of the tail light bulbs. I also checked all relevant fuses - all good.

Thoughts?

Thinking the 'turn signal/multifunction control' switch may either have issues or just not compatible with my year?? But, after reading that this is a relatively common issue, I didn't want to start buying parts left 'n right without some of you all weighing in.

Thank you,

Jay

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Check and clean ALL of your ground connections.

OP
OP
jpilk99

jpilk99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pls forgive my ignorance, but, ... how many are there and where? I’ve seen a bunch of ground straps under the engine and bed while doing all the brake lines, etc. you’re talking about those?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Your going to want to clean both sides of all the grounds you can find,anywhere, your truck is 23 lots of time for corrosion. Also check in the rear for other grounds around lights.

OP
OP
jpilk99

jpilk99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Your going to want to clean both sides of all the grounds you can find,anywhere, your truck is 23 lots of time for corrosion. Also check in the rear for other grounds around lights.

Additional information I just learned:

With lights (running or headlights) - the passenger side rear license plate light is out. It's not the bulb, it's the harness. Working back up through the harness to where the license plate wires meet the larger harness that has the brake & back up lights, and trailer connector...

Assuming that wherever the license plate wire is compromised, I'll likely find one of the other wires similarly compromised.

Jay