Two (probably dumb) questions...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dgriffi2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I know the crew cab gained like 4” over the 4th generation crew cab, but how about the quad cab? Anyone with a 4th gen quad buy a 5th gen quad cab notice a difference?

Second question- there are growing numbers of used 5th gens hitting the used market. I find the Laramie trim level checks off most of my wish list boxes, except most have 18” wheels and I want 20’s. If I were to find one I like, can a dealer swap the wheels from a truck with 20’s? (Would a dealer even do that?)

mlrtimemach

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Tradesman 4X4
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I know the crew cab gained like 4” over the 4th generation crew cab, but how about the quad cab? Anyone with a 4th gen quad buy a 5th gen quad cab notice a difference?

Second question- there are growing numbers of used 5th gens hitting the used market. I find the Laramie trim level checks off most of my wish list boxes, except most have 18” wheels and I want 20’s. If I were to find one I like, can a dealer swap the wheels from a truck with 20’s? (Would a dealer even do that?)
As for the tires my dealer swapped my brand new tires an put them on the new truck I was buying. I went from the 20's on the new truck to the 18's I had. Problem came when the tire pressure system didn't work so they had to change out the sensors in the wheels. I didn't care but they weren't too happy doin all the extra work.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L

I've read that they are longer as well, but I can't say for sure because I've never been in a 5th gen quad. I'd probably just hit a dealership and see it they'll let me measure both if I was considering a quad cab.

It's strange that you're seeing mostly 18 inch wheels on used Laramies in your area. In my area, most come with the 20 inch wheels. As for your second question...yes, you can use any 5th gen 1500 wheels on any other 5th gen 1500. As already mentioned, the TPMS system might have to be "adjusted" to comply with any pressure differences between the two sizes. Any dealership I've ever dealt with would be willing to do that, but as with most everything, it's likely to cost you. Some dealers would go down in size (from 20's to 18's) for little if any cost, but going up in size (from 18's to 20's) is usually expensive.

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
I've read that they are longer as well, but I can't say for sure because I've never been in a 5th gen quad. I'd probably just hit a dealership and see it they'll let me measure both if I was considering a quad cab.

It's strange that you're seeing mostly 18 inch wheels on used Laramies in your area. In my area, most come with the 20 inch wheels. As for your second question...yes, you can use any 5th gen 1500 wheels on any other 5th gen 1500. As already mentioned, the TPMS system might have to be "adjusted" to comply with any pressure differences between the two sizes. Any dealership I've ever dealt with would be willing to do that, but as with most everything, it's likely to cost you. Some dealers would go down in size (from 20's to 18's) for little if any cost, but going up in size (from 18's to 20's) is usually expensive.
Results from some simple research on the Ram Truck Build and Price site:

2020 1500 Quad Cab w/6’ 4” bed is 228.9 inches overall length.
2020 1500 Crew Cab w/6’ 4” bed is 241.8 inches overall length.
2020 1500 Crew Cab w/5’ 7” bed is 232.9 inches overall length.