Uconnect 8.4A NAV capable.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Britgeezer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just ordered a RAM 1500 BH, fingers crossed.

Originally had intended to order NAV, but this one is only NAV capable.

I know the NAV, I have it on my Cherokee LTD, its OK but not great. Anyone have experience of doing the "dealer" upgrade. For now I just plan to use an iPhone.

• How much should they charge?
  • Is it exactly the same as factory?
  • How long do free updates apply?

jbr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just ordered a RAM 1500 BH, fingers crossed.

Originally had intended to order NAV, but this one is only NAV capable.

I know the NAV, I have it on my Cherokee LTD, its OK but not great. Anyone have experience of doing the "dealer" upgrade. For now I just plan to use an iPhone.

• How much should they charge?
  • Is it exactly the same as factory?
  • How long do free updates apply?
The dealers is.going to charge you about $500.00 to activate the nav. I thought the nav/map updates for the uConnect 8.4 was $150.00 each time. It's such a rip off. It's one of the things that is preventing me from upgrading from the 5.0 to the 8.4N.

OP
OP
B

Britgeezer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The dealers is.going to charge you about $500.00 to activate the nav. I thought the nav/map updates for the uConnect 8.4 was $150.00 each time. It's such a rip off. It's one of the things that is preventing me from upgrading from the 5.0 to the 8.4N.

I think for my Cherokee the updates are free for the 36 month B to B period, I will check with the dealer.
For now my existing Garmin and Tom Tom Navi or the IPhone will do fine.

Jarhead57

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 4x4 CC Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Or do as I did as mine was only "nav ready" and play "hard ball". I told them that if they want to sell me this this truck I get it free....took them about 1 minute to agree....:)

Irongoats

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
^^ I'm with this guy. I told them throw in Nav upgrade ($700 they were nucking futs) and they agreed in about three minutes. No problems after the upgrade.

APFSDS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
funny, when i was asked what it would take to seal my deal, i asked them to activate my nav and they didn't blink.
my guess is it costs them $0.

OP
OP
B

Britgeezer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
funny, when i was asked what it would take to seal my deal, i asked them to activate my nav and they didn't blink.
my guess is it costs them $0.
Thanks for the replies. My dealer wanted $599 but I found an online solution for $499. I tried the throw it in approach and they said with my affiliate pricing they couldn't do it.

So until I find a better price there is no built in Nav .... not a biggy for this vehicle.

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
There is no free updating of the maps. There is free updating to the software. You don't really need to update the maps. Roads don't change that much and the maps are not up to date, there always behind. I use the added navigation 4 to 5 times a day,5 days a week with no problems.

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
Smartphone navigation is way better. Most recent and actual real time traffic updates. I pay for phone data I'm going to use it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

Britgeezer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There is no free updating of the maps. There is free updating to the software. You don't really need to update the maps. Roads don't change that much and the maps are not up to date, there always behind. I use the added navigation 4 to 5 times a day,5 days a week with no problems.

Thanks for the answer.

Based on my Cherokee Nav the maps are obviously out of date around at least around Washington DC, it would have had me turn left at turn right only (or vice versa) junctions that locals said were years old.

I think at $500 I'll pass for now.