UConnect Software Update Received--What's in it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wascrash

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Unfortunately on this v22.5 software the sound quality sucks pretty bad, it's like somewhere in the software the lower frequency's are turned up way too far everything sounds super muddy and boomy. I was able to counter it a bit but turning the bass on the EQ all the way down, but then certain songs sound hollow while other songs still hit that frequency and sound super muddy.

I know a lot of people are upset with the sound quality on the 21.9 version, I haven't really read into how the sound quality sucks i just know that people aren't happy with it. I don't know if what i'm experiencing is the same as them or not.

Edit: I didn't realize i was in a different thread here, I clicked on my alert thinking i was back in the UAQ retrofit thread...

Anyway, it should also be noted that there seems to be a glitch with the Uconnect Nav, and Android Auto voice settings where every time you shut the truck off, and start it up again, the voice volume settings go back to MAX... This is particularly annoying for me since i use the speed limit warnings and first thing in the morning it sucks I keep forgetting about this and I'll drift over the speed limit and get screamed at by my truck then i quickly turn the volume back down to 1 -2...

I suppose that's another issue, the voice volume settings claim to go from 0 - 15, but in reality it's more like 0, 10, 15, 25 - 35.

You are experiencing what my new uaq does although from the sounds of it it is not as bad as these other guys. I have mine set a -2 on bass and it sounds comparable to my older ra3 8.4 with bass set 4 from the top on the eq. The sound was still better on my older model. Im dealing with it and getting used to it a little. I do not have a new truck and if I did I would be mad. I just upgraded my 2014 to the newest model.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
You are experiencing what my new uaq does although from the sounds of it it is not as bad as these other guys. I have mine set a -2 on bass and it sounds comparable to my older ra3 8.4 with bass set 4 from the top on the eq. The sound was still better on my older model. Im dealing with it and getting used to it a little. I do not have a new truck and if I did I would be mad. I just upgraded my 2014 to the newest model.
What application version is on yours?

M² Mods.

g00fy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I have my eq set at bass -9, mid +2, treble +1, and its bearable, but it's still not close to my old 2016 RA4

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
One of the big "improvements" with this update was supposed to be the volume/clarity/adjustment of the parking assist beeps

Ive always wondered if they accidentally applied EQ to the main output instead of the parking assist beep output.

audiomikej

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
One of the big "improvements" with this update was supposed to be the volume/clarity/adjustment of the parking assist beeps

Ive always wondered if they accidentally applied EQ to the main output instead of the parking assist beep output.
agreed 100%, they did not realize they were changing the stereo settings, when i first got the truck the beeps did not always work. I came from a 2016 bighorn so I know the system well. After the SW update the tones changed and they worked 100% of the time, now the stereo is all bass, no mids and treble. Also the blue tooth talking voice blasts out at max volume every time and I can only turn it down while she is talking. Not cool RAM!

wascrash

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok this I did not know. When I get a text it scares the crap out of me and I have to turn the volume to 1-2 for it to sound as it should . I thought this was just a setting I had overlooked. I hope I am not stuck with this version if they do update this and fix it. I dont think the radios some of us have upgraded update over the air and If you type in your vin on the website it shows your old radio.

Cstan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Another gremlin I have just noticed from this botched update is on the display brightness settings. You can set it to your liking, with the headlights on and headlights off settings...then after four or five driving sessions it resets to the default 2/2 (headlights on/headlights off).

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Has anyone contacted NavRepair (Infotainment's sister company) about having v19.9 reloaded on the their radio & cost?
(You'd have to remove it and send it to them).

Might not end up with a forced update to 21.9 if the uConnect server has already removed your vin as being updated previously?

M² Mods.

TMD78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not even sure why at this point, but just opened a new case with Uconnect via RAM. I just cannot accept this crap update on such an expensive truck. I think we are such a small subset of 2018 owners that they hope we'll go away and have no real plan to issue an update at this point. I knew back in Sept when I called and opened a case that there was zero chance a new OTA would come anytime soon, but back then I also didn't realize how limited the affected group was. So frustrating when they forced me to close the case saying "we know of the issue and a fix will be coming in the fall". Really wish we could focus our efforts on a petition or class action, something to make them respond. I believe that if they wanted, they could easily fix this issue. Even if I knew it was coming (we heard the false promises of a fix in the fall). If I really knew it would be fixed by a certain date I'd be patient, but at this point we don't seem to be hearing anything at all from Uconnect. Has anyone heard them acknowledge this lately, like in the past few weeks? I don't have twitter to go that route.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did reaching out to Jalopnik ever get any traction?

Since UConnect really is behind the issue, the only thing I could think of is start posting everywhere telling people not to pay for UConnect subs since they clearly dont bother taking care of customers. Hit them in the wallet, I guess.

Although I honestly wonder who pays for UConnect anyway, other than people that probably gave their credit card number at vehicle purchase time and are automatically getting billed without even noticing.

Cstan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not even sure why at this point, but just opened a new case with Uconnect via RAM. I just cannot accept this crap update on such an expensive truck. I think we are such a small subset of 2018 owners that they hope we'll go away and have no real plan to issue an update at this point. I knew back in Sept when I called and opened a case that there was zero chance a new OTA would come anytime soon, but back then I also didn't realize how limited the affected group was. So frustrating when they forced me to close the case saying "we know of the issue and a fix will be coming in the fall". Really wish we could focus our efforts on a petition or class action, something to make them respond. I believe that if they wanted, they could easily fix this issue. Even if I knew it was coming (we heard the false promises of a fix in the fall). If I really knew it would be fixed by a certain date I'd be patient, but at this point we don't seem to be hearing anything at all from Uconnect. Has anyone heard them acknowledge this lately, like in the past few weeks? I don't have twitter to go that route.
I wouldn't really call it a limited group. There's just a limited amount of people who joined the forum to chime in. The update screwed up every single 2018 and some 2019 FCA vehicles in one way or another. That's a pretty wide swath of "fail" on their end.

OP
OP
PowrRam

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
Did reaching out to Jalopnik ever get any traction?

I sent the Jalopnik writer (who had done a couple of articles about a previous UConnect snafu) a couple of emails but never heard anything.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

OP
OP
PowrRam

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
Not even sure why at this point, but just opened a new case with Uconnect via RAM. I just cannot accept this crap update on such an expensive truck. I think we are such a small subset of 2018 owners that they hope we'll go away and have no real plan to issue an update at this point.

I don't think we are a small group. As I understand it anyone with a 2018 FCA product with the 8.4 screen is affected. That's got to be hundreds of thousands of people. The small group is likely discerning listeners that can tell their stereo previously sounded pretty good but is now crap. Also, anyone that took delivery of their vehicles after the update, roughly Labor Day, probably don't know the difference.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

TMD78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wouldn't really call it a limited group. There's just a limited amount of people who joined the forum to chime in. The update screwed up every single 2018 and some 2019 FCA vehicles in one way or another. That's a pretty wide swath of "fail" on their end.
I didn't realize 2019 was affected. I understood that the 2018 models were a unique brand head unit manufacturer (Panasonic maybe instead of Harman) that was not used in any other year. I know some of this "unique to 2018" to be true, because I had a 2017 Challenger for a minute before trading it for my RAM. I knew there was a small update between the two years head units, nav looked different, apple CarPlay etc. When I test drove 16/17/18 Challengers there were small differences in the units. I also owned a 2014 Ram Laramie and to add confusion, my wife a 2016 Cherokee, all with our lovely Uconnect systems that looked very much the same, but supposedly multiple manufacturers had their hands on designing through the years. When I saw the 2018 RAM had CarPlay, I decided to buy a trim that included it hoping I could finally ignore all the pointless map updates and paid uconnect services that didn't mean anything to me. I didn't anticipate them crippling the audio, which at 40 I still value as much as when I was 16.

Cstan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I didn't realize 2019 was affected. I understood that the 2018 models were a unique brand head unit manufacturer (Panasonic maybe instead of Harman) that was not used in any other year. I know some of this "unique to 2018" to be true, because I had a 2017 Challenger for a minute before trading it for my RAM. I knew there was a small update between the two years head units, nav looked different, apple CarPlay etc. When I test drove 16/17/18 Challengers there were small differences in the units. I also owned a 2014 Ram Laramie and to add confusion, my wife a 2016 Cherokee, all with our lovely Uconnect systems that looked very much the same, but supposedly multiple manufacturers had their hands on designing through the years. When I saw the 2018 RAM had CarPlay, I decided to buy a trim that included it hoping I could finally ignore all the pointless map updates and paid uconnect services that didn't mean anything to me. I didn't anticipate them crippling the audio, which at 40 I still value as much as when I was 16.
No doubt about valuing the audio. I loved it before September and just to make it worse, when my mother came to visit last month, we rode around in her '17 Ram and the stereo sounded great. She even pointed out that her moderately equipped 2017 big horn stereo was way better than my fancy new 2018 Night. I pride myself on being able to immediately reply to anything with brilliant sarcasm, but I had nothing lol. All I could do was drop my head and say...I know mom, thanks. Haha

1stHEMI

Reaction score
wow, this is 64 pages long... that's way too much reading for me to try to follow what's going on here.

I'm reading that people are paying for Uconnect... I just downloaded the latest update for free... am I missing something? It's available on the site, and I just talked to someone there who said there's no charge, but urged me to do the update.

Will that update screw up a 2017 model year? I would like to update the maps and navigation, and I'm being told I have to update Uconnect to the latest, first. This is new territory for me.

FF1899

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No doubt about valuing the audio. I loved it before September and just to make it worse, when my mother came to visit last month, we rode around in her '17 Ram and the stereo sounded great. She even pointed out that her moderately equipped 2017 big horn stereo was way better than my fancy new 2018 Night. I pride myself on being able to immediately reply to anything with brilliant sarcasm, but I had nothing lol. All I could do was drop my head and say...I know mom, thanks. Haha

I almost want to bite the bullet figure out aftermarket and throw a hammer through the 8.4 so I can send it to customer service explaining that it sound better not working then it does with the **** update they aren't caring enough to fix

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
wow, this is 64 pages long... that's way too much reading for me to try to follow what's going on here.

I'm reading that people are paying for Uconnect... I just downloaded the latest update for free... am I missing something? It's available on the site, and I just talked to someone there who said there's no charge, but urged me to do the update.

Will that update screw up a 2017 model year? I would like to update the maps and navigation, and I'm being told I have to update Uconnect to the latest, first. This is new territory for me.

UConnect has a subscription service for features like remote locking/unlocking, starting via smartphone, it also includes a few apps to use on the truck (Yelp, etc) and the ability to send voice-to-text replies to incoming text messages.

Downloading and applying updates is free, but the other features cost money. If people dont pay and make it clear why they arent paying, maybe they would listen up.

AFAIK the bad update does not affect 2017 or older. Only the head units in the 2018, 2019 "classic" and maybe the 5th gens.

Brent L

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Please clarify something for me...does this affect the 18’s with the Alpine system or only the standard 6-speaker system?

‘18 1500 Laramie Longhorn Southfork CC 4x4
Sent from my iPad