UConnect Software Update Received--What's in it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

musicwatkins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6 cylinder
Hate to say it but... the whole Uconnect issue along with two recalls, massive intermittent lifter noise on startup, a broken A/C (only cools on MAX...dealer says that's the way it's supposed to work) along with a couple interior rattles I can't locate just may push me to a Chevrolet dealer for a test drive. I never had any of these issues with my 07'. Sometimes you don't know what you've got until it's gone . Arrruuuggghhh
I have had those same issues. My truck had a serious rattling noise when I first bought it, it drove me crazy. I took it back to the dealer, after running tests on it for 3 days they told me the windshield had been installed crooked. They swapped it out with a new one (after having it for eleven days) that seemed to fix the issue. My AC does the same thing, it pumps out room temp air unless you put it on max. Not to mention the radio update issue. This is my 3rd Ram, I never had any issues with the first 2. 2018s are lemons.

T-Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have had those same issues. My truck had a serious rattling noise when I first bought it, it drove me crazy. I took it back to the dealer, after running tests on it for 3 days they told me the windshield had been installed crooked. They swapped it out with a new one (after having it for eleven days) that seemed to fix the issue. My AC does the same thing, it pumps out room temp air unless you put it on max. Not to mention the radio update issue. This is my 3rd Ram, I never had any issues with the first 2. 2018s are lemons.
Glad you seem to have gotten the rattle issue fixed. Never heard that a windshield could be installed crooked. Wow...that's a new one for me. Much to my surprise they were able to replicate my rattle and it turns out it was a loose/broken bezel behind one of the overhead map lights. The dealer replaced the overhead console & lights with a new one and it seems to have taken care of the rattle for now. They still can't figure out my A/C problem and have opened a case with Chrysler. I couldn't leave my truck for a week so I went back and picked it up while they research more. I also requested they reset my radio back to factory specs in an attempt to circumvent the latest Sirrius update but was told they could only flash the software with the current version so I guess we'll all have to wait until Sirrius releases a fix :-(.

OP
OP
PowrRam

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
Glad you seem to have gotten the rattle issue fixed. Never heard that a windshield could be installed crooked. Wow...that's a new one for me. Much to my surprise they were able to replicate my rattle and it turns out it was a loose/broken bezel behind one of the overhead map lights. The dealer replaced the overhead console & lights with a new one and it seems to have taken care of the rattle for now.

Glad to hear that problem is fixed.

They still can't figure out my A/C problem and have opened a case with Chrysler. I couldn't leave my truck for a week so I went back and picked it up while they research more.

Stay on them like a mad dog on a bone. You'll get it fixed.

I also requested they reset my radio back to factory specs in an attempt to circumvent the latest Sirrius update but was told they could only flash the software with the current version so I guess we'll all have to wait until Sirrius releases a fix :-(.

Which reminds me, it's Monday, time for my weekly cage rattling of UConnect and Ram Customer Care.

OP
OP
PowrRam

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
Which reminds me, it's Monday, time for my weekly cage rattling of UConnect and Ram Customer Care.

Got a hold of them. Like a skip in a LP record:

CSR: "There is a fix coming but there is no ETA."

Me" "Yes, I've heard that one before. I've also heard there is a fix coming shortly. However, tomorrow will be the 3 month anniversary of the problem, and the definition of "shortly" is not three months, not in my book. I've also heard there is a fix coming this fall. Well, there are only 18 days left in fall."

ElPasoRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi all. I'm new to the forum. I found it as i was researching the audio problem on my new 2019 1500 Classic Bighorn.
I just traded in my 2015 Lonestar for it. If i had known about the audio problem earlier, i would have definitely delayed the purchase. As they say, hind-sight is 20/20.
Getting ready to talk to my salesman to express my dissatisfaction. I doubt he'll be able to do anything but hopefully he'll inform any new customers of the problem. I wont hold my breath.
I really enjoyed listening to music on long trips. Hopefully this gets fixed soon.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi all. I'm new to the forum. I found it as i was researching the audio problem on my new 2019 1500 Classic Bighorn.
I just traded in my 2015 Lonestar for it. If i had known about the audio problem earlier, i would have definitely delayed the purchase. As they say, hind-sight is 20/20.
Getting ready to talk to my salesman to express my dissatisfaction. I doubt he'll be able to do anything but hopefully he'll inform any new customers of the problem. I wont hold my breath.
I really enjoyed listening to music on long trips. Hopefully this gets fixed soon.

How long ago did you get the new truck?

In CT you (technically) have 3 days to undo a lot of big sales like that. Not sure if it applies where you are but might be worth looking into.

Zabbu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here is an interesting read with many tips on how to decrypt and edit a uconnect update -> https://forum.xda-developers.com/general/connected-car/rooted-jeep-cherokee-14-uconnect-t3194106

They go into depth on how to find the decryption key in the file it's self, among other cool tricks. I haven't had the time to dig into it and try to edit the files myself yet, but figured maybe one of you has some extra time to dig through it. I would like to install the update PRIOR to this one, and just leave it there forever.... no updates. Just my 2 cents.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The '18 have a completely different file setup (which makes sense since they are a completely different manufacturer for that one year)

I hate to say it but I worry for you '18 guys that UConnect will just give up because it seems like the head unit was unique to just that one model year (and maybe the '19 classics? not sure)

I wonder if you could get a dealer to willingly convert the truck to a '17 head unit....

ElPasoRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How long ago did you get the new truck?

In CT you (technically) have 3 days to undo a lot of big sales like that. Not sure if it applies where you are but might be worth looking into.
i bought it 5 days ago in New Mexico. there is no remorse period. Although, i would say this is more of a defective product issue. To make matters worse, i just realized that this new truck does not have a trailer brake controller.
Just talked to my salesman and he's "checking with his service manager".
I'm afraid to see what tomorrow brings....

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
i bought it 5 days ago in New Mexico. there is no remorse period. Although, i would say this is more of a defective product issue. To make matters worse, i just realized that this new truck does not have a trailer brake controller.
Just talked to my salesman and he's "checking with his service manager".
I'm afraid to see what tomorrow brings....
Can you go into dealer mode on the radio and let us know what Application Version it's on the 2019 8.4 radio?

Press: hot+cold+front defrost (for 6-10 secs)

1d6091bba041aa0fc61c6ef0527d872c.jpg

M² Mods.

MO_CPA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
HOLD UP! UConnect is saying they released an OTA update on Sunday? Note, this is not me they are replying to, just noticed it on Twitter. Has anybody received this?

Capture.PNG

FF1899

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just put my vin into the website and still says up to date. I haven't received one yet and it still sounds like ass

OP
OP
PowrRam

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
HOLD UP! UConnect is saying they released an OTA update on Sunday? Note, this is not me they are replying to, just noticed it on Twitter. Has anybody received this?

View attachment 148346

I spoke with Ram Customer Care on Monday and they said the fix was not yet ready. Of course the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing at UConnect, so who knows?

OP
OP
PowrRam

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
From the FAQ's page for UConnect Software Update:

Q: Will I receive a communication in advance of the Over-The-Air Update?
A: Uconnect® will send out a communication to all customers via email. It will be sent to the email address used to register for Uconnect Access or the email address for you on file. The communication will be sent out in advance of your vehicle receiving the Over-the-Air Software Update so that you will know what to expect.

Q: Why does my stereo sound like sh*t since I received the latest Over-The-Air Update?
A: Unfortunately some vehicles will have their tone controls radically altered because of the update. You will be instructed to wait for months for Uconnect® to identify and rectify the problem. Just keep checking our software update site here, https://www.driveuconnect.com/support/software-update.html as if you were a teenaged girl with a pregnancy test kit whose period is a couple of days late.

https://www.driveuconnect.com/faq.html#over-the-air-software