Unbelieveable towing experience

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Retiring Don

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
This may sound like a commercial for RAM but my wife and I just returned from a 5000+ mile, four week trip with our trailer with about half of those miles pulling our Lance 2295 trailer (approximately 6000 lbs loaded), and I cannot image a better truck for towing than our 2019 crew cab Ram Laramie. Equipped with the level 2 equipment group package, 5.7L, 3.92 diff, 2wd, tow/haul package, and air suspension.
Let me start by singing the praises. The 8 speed transmission was flawless, even while towing the shifts were smooth and timely, and at times the shifts were so seamless that the only way you could tell there was a gear change was by the tachometer. Even with the 3.92 rear gear I averaged 11 mpg while towing and 21 mpg when disconnected and venturing out on day trips to shop or sight see. I will admit that I tried to maintain a consistent 60 mph while on highways/interstates towing and 65 mph when not towing. I also never felt under powered when towing, even when having to accelerate up a 10 degree incline to avoid people who didn't know how to merge onto an interstate. Knowing that I had the torque to get me out of these types of situations was comforting.
The creature comforts are wonderful! The cab is so quiet, the seats with their lumbar supports were a pleasure to sit in for long periods, and things that I never thought I'd use like heated seats and steering wheel were used almost daily as the fall temperatures fell in the New England states.
The suspension is great, and the ride was even better than my wife's Challenger. The air shocks kept the truck level even with the 300 lbs of "stuff" in the bed and the trailer connected. And the electronic sway control coupled with my Blue Ox weight distribution hitch made the towing smooth and uneventful even in 40 mph wind gusts.
My only issue was with the GPS that comes with the truck. Even with the "Unpaved roads allowed" option not checked, it managed to send us down unpaved roads several times, roads with posted signs that said "Residents Only", and single lane roads that were so narrow that trees lining the roads would cause the blind spot avoidance lights on the side mirrors to flash. Not to mention even with the 8" display we couldn't tell how it was routing us which resulted in us towing our trailer through some less than pleasant parts of some major cities. Enough said! We have come to the agreement that we will not go down any street that doesn't at least have a line down the middle, and we will use our Google map app whenever we have cell phone coverage.
Now that we have 18K miles on the truck, with 5K of those miles towing our trailer, I have total confidence that our cross country camping trip next year will be a total pleasure. RAM has produced a great truck!

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Sounds great. My 2013 1500 towed great too but I had to upgrade due to the size of our boat but the 1500's are very capable trucks.

As for the GPS, you should have Apple Car Play or Android Auto? My son plugs his iphone into the truck and uses his GPS from his phone. He said it is much better. It will display on your 8.4" screen just like your factory GPS. Might want to give that a try next time.

ScLeCo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Supercharged 426
65mph on the interstate? In the left lane too I bet.
:rolleyes:

OP
OP
Retiring Don

Retiring Don

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
The only time I use the left lane is for passing or if I don't have our trailer behind us, am in a hurry at 70+ and there are slower vehicles in the right lane. As I recall from taking my driving test 51 years ago the left lane is for passing and I don't believe anything has changed except for the yahoos who never read or understood that. While I don't condone speeding, if I'm in the left lane and I see someone going to overtake me, I move over to let them pass and then chuckle when the local law has them pulled over to the side of the road.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
This may sound like a commercial for RAM but my wife and I just returned from a 5000+ mile, four week trip with our trailer with about half of those miles pulling our Lance 2295 trailer (approximately 6000 lbs loaded), and I cannot image a better truck for towing than our 2019 crew cab Ram Laramie. Equipped with the level 2 equipment group package, 5.7L, 3.92 diff, 2wd, tow/haul package, and air suspension.
Let me start by singing the praises. The 8 speed transmission was flawless, even while towing the shifts were smooth and timely, and at times the shifts were so seamless that the only way you could tell there was a gear change was by the tachometer. Even with the 3.92 rear gear I averaged 11 mpg while towing and 21 mpg when disconnected and venturing out on day trips to shop or sight see. I will admit that I tried to maintain a consistent 60 mph while on highways/interstates towing and 65 mph when not towing. I also never felt under powered when towing, even when having to accelerate up a 10 degree incline to avoid people who didn't know how to merge onto an interstate. Knowing that I had the torque to get me out of these types of situations was comforting.
The creature comforts are wonderful! The cab is so quiet, the seats with their lumbar supports were a pleasure to sit in for long periods, and things that I never thought I'd use like heated seats and steering wheel were used almost daily as the fall temperatures fell in the New England states.
The suspension is great, and the ride was even better than my wife's Challenger. The air shocks kept the truck level even with the 300 lbs of "stuff" in the bed and the trailer connected. And the electronic sway control coupled with my Blue Ox weight distribution hitch made the towing smooth and uneventful even in 40 mph wind gusts.
My only issue was with the GPS that comes with the truck. Even with the "Unpaved roads allowed" option not checked, it managed to send us down unpaved roads several times, roads with posted signs that said "Residents Only", and single lane roads that were so narrow that trees lining the roads would cause the blind spot avoidance lights on the side mirrors to flash. Not to mention even with the 8" display we couldn't tell how it was routing us which resulted in us towing our trailer through some less than pleasant parts of some major cities. Enough said! We have come to the agreement that we will not go down any street that doesn't at least have a line down the middle, and we will use our Google map app whenever we have cell phone coverage.
Now that we have 18K miles on the truck, with 5K of those miles towing our trailer, I have total confidence that our cross country camping trip next year will be a total pleasure. RAM has produced a great truck!

My 2014 gps has been junk since new. Finally gave up on it and use my portable tom tom

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
sounds like a great trip. we tow our similar wt. 28' trailer with my laramie and get similar results albeit I travel a little faster. on the interstates I will set cruise on 68-69 and I get anywhere from 8.5 to 11 mpg depending on the wind and terrain. I wont use my cell phone for nav. as I am used to using the truck's for the last 3 trucks I've owned. the first thing I do when picking up a new truck is turn off the annoying voice and I dont enter a destination in there anyway. I usually choose the route I want to take before leaving home and just use the nav as a map to show upcoming exits or changes in highways. these rams have plenty of power and the 8 speed will get you moving. we recently did a 3400 mile circle from ft. worth to moab-yellowstone-sheridan, wy. and back and were impressed with the comfort of the truck. I drove all the way home from sheridan, wy..almost 1200 miles...in one day and it wasnt nearly the butt whippin I was expecting.

DAVECS1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Agreed, this truck tows and works like a dream. It is like I am almost cheating. I utilize my Android auto as the new Uconnect is a huge disappointment.

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
Great to hear about your experience. Thanks for sharing!