Under front seat Subwoofers With Built In Amp

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

load97

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the base 6 speaker system in my 2015 Quad Cab Sport. Iv'e upgraded all the speakers & now moving on to a 8-10" sub. I do have heated & ventilated power seats in the front. I'm looking for a minimal install and the front seats seem to fit the bill. Possibly behind the back seat like I see another member did with his Rockville. I might do it, or let Best Buy do it as it's getting colder out & I'm not 25 anymore lol.

I see JBL, Alpine, Kicker, Rockville & a few others all make some. Just looking on feedback from people that have installed one of them under the front seats, or even behind the rear seat (quad cab). If you were able to fit one of them in, & if so, any modifications you had to do. Also, please mention if you have power seats etc, as that may affect the measurements of the compact powered sub.

TIA!

Here's what I've found so far for dimensions of various name brand powered subs that might fit:

Kicker HS8 13 7/8 x 9 3/8" x 3 1/8"

Kenwood KSC-SW11 11" x 7 1/2" x 2 3/4"

Alpine PWE-S8 13.5" x 9" x 3"

Cerwin Vega VPAS10 13.6" x 9.6" x 2.6"

JBL Bass Pro SL 13 9/16" x 9 7/8" x 2 13/16"

Pioneer TS-WH500A 13.38" x 9.84" x 2.36"

Pioneer TS-WX120A 11" x 7 7/8" x 2 3/4"

Pioneer TS-WX130DA 11" x 7 7/8" x 2 3/4"

Last edited:

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
Did you see this thread in your searches of this forum?
https://www.ramforum.com/threads/kicker-hideaway-pics.68665/page-3

Using the physical measurements of the Kicker Hideaway I made a mock-up cardboard box the exact same size and tried to fit it under the passenger seat of my 2018 1500 Big Horn (non-power seat). I had to remove the spare tire jack. While I could shoehorn it in place I just couldn't get it to fit in there comfortably. It seemed to me I would be losing the last inch of backward travel of the seat as the bottom of the seat would contact the cardboard box I had fashioned. Getting the Kicker anchored into place would be another problem though I suppose several sections of velcro attached to the bottom of the subwoofer box would be good enough to keep it in place when the box was pressed into the carpet.

OP
OP
load97

load97

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you see this thread in your searches of this forum?
https://www.ramforum.com/threads/kicker-hideaway-pics.68665/page-3

Using the physical measurements of the Kicker Hideaway I made a mock-up cardboard box the exact same size and tried to fit it under the passenger seat of my 2018 1500 Big Horn (non-power seat). I had to remove the spare tire jack. While I could shoehorn it in place I just couldn't get it to fit in there comfortably. It seemed to me I would be losing the last inch of backward travel of the seat as the bottom of the seat would contact the cardboard box I had fashioned. Getting the Kicker anchored into place would be another problem though I suppose several sections of velcro attached to the bottom of the subwoofer box would be good enough to keep it in place when the box was pressed into the carpet.

I had saw your post. I read another forum member say it was originally a no go, but then posted that it did fit. So it's 1-yes & 1-no lol. Thanks for pointing out you have non powered seats.

OP
OP
load97

load97

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here's what I've found so far for dimensions of various name brand powered subs that might fit:

Kicker 11HS8 13 7/8 x 9 3/8" x 3 1/8"

Kenwood KSC-SW11 11" x 7 1/2" x 2 3/4"

Alpine PWE-S8 13.5" x 9" x 3"

Cerwin Vega VPAS10 13.6" x 9.6" x 2.6"

JBL Bass Pro SL 13 9/16" x 9 7/8" x 2 13/16"

Pioneer TS-WH500A 13.38" x 9.84" x 2.36"

Pioneer TS-WX120A 11" x 7 7/8" x 2 3/4"

Pioneer TS-WX130DA 11" x 7 7/8" x 2 3/4"

Last edited:

sam-aye-am

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I installed the Rockville 8” behind the back seat. For my personal preferences, this was just right in my truck.

I tried to see if I could fit it under the passenger seat, but didn’t want to relocate the jack despite it being unlikely to be of any use to me should I need it since 95% of the time I have a camper on the truck.

I’m presently on the other side of the country from my truck and honestly can’t remember if the pass side is power. Truck was originally a tradesman and I got Laramie heated and ventilated leather seats in it now. 7cb73eaa004dcfe625bcf0b3840ee324.jpg

I should add that the small black amplifier also pictured is for my door speakers, not the sub.

On final edit, I’m back home and pass seat is also powered in addition to the aforementioned heated/vented.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
I have a very small 6x9 looking Kenwood self powered woofer (75rms) KSC-SW11 and I got it thinking it would fit under one of my front seats. Both of mine are powered, heat and cool and this thing is tiny but wouldn’t fit. I now have it in my firebird for extra bass. It could be used as a full range or sub and it’s pretty loud. It’s only 2.75” tall.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-wHMJVOUEHGI/p_113KSCSW11/Kenwood-KSC-SW11.html

OP
OP
load97

load97

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a very small 6x9 looking Kenwood self powered woofer (75rms) KSC-SW11 and I got it thinking it would fit under one of my front seats. Both of mine are powered, heat and cool and this thing is tiny but wouldn’t fit. I now have it in my firebird for extra bass. It could be used as a full range or sub and it’s pretty loud. It’s only 2.75” tall.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-wHMJVOUEHGI/p_113KSCSW11/Kenwood-KSC-SW11.html

Seems hard to believe it wouldn't fit. Iv'e seen pictures from another forum member on here of the Kicker fitting under the front passenger seat (wasn't a powered seat IIRC). I popped off the pass seat plastic cover and looks to be about right to fit the Kicker.

Thanks for the help guys. I ordered up a Kicker 11HS8 last night, along with a temp & humidity sensor off eBay (need to do auto temp to get rid of the 8.4 4C heat control issues).

Last edited:

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Seems hard to believe it wouldn't fit. Iv'e seen pictures from another forum member on here of the Kicker fitting under the front passenger seat (wasn't a powered seat IIRC). I popped off the pass seat plastic cover and looks to be about right to fit the Kicker.

Thanks for the help guys. I ordered up a Kicker 11HS8 last night, along with a temp & humidity sensor off eBay (need to do auto temp to get rid of the 8.4 4C heat control issues).

Without removing any of the original equipment (jack, etc) it would not fit. Removing the equipment would allow for more room but then you need to keep that equipment somewhere else in the truck. I personally prefer to not mess with the OEM stuff and keep it as OEM as possible for a cleaner install. Sure displacing a jack and stuff isn’t anything crazy but it’s very hidden and out of the way there so I decided to leave it.

Plus my seats are powered, heated and cooled so they aren’t a good comparison.

Hopefully you get what you want from the kicker.

OP
OP
load97

load97

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Got the Kicker installed last night. Fits under the passenger seat pretty good actually. Jack stand is under the back seat (previous owner put it there). The Kicker won’t fit under the back seat laying flat on floor. When the seat comes down from being folded up the amp is too high. It does fit under the drivers seat, but with the heated and cooled seats (which I have) it’s a bit tighter, but doable. On drivers side a person would want to bend the bracket for the seat harness connectors ever so slightly for peace of mind. I only did the passenger side since the original owner had already removed the jack. I took one Kicker bracket & cut it in half and as seen in picture connected to another. I used a brass bushing about 3/8” high to level the right side of the Kicker sub. Can’t see it as it’s below the carpeting. Left side of Kicker I used a the other factory hole I presume was there for the jack.

5856D198-7EB1-48FB-8112-281EB33F50B1.jpeg ABE76C05-830F-4028-9BE0-2D2AB4E9449A.jpeg58BC7B36-5786-46C6-8EA1-DF72FDFFE3FD.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
load97

load97

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here’s a few pics of the connections behind the radio & the center console port that I tapped for 12v remote turn on. Hope helps others wondering where and what to connect to. I tapped the left & right rear speakers from behind the radio. The kicker harness had plenty of length for speaker high level inputs as well as the 12v power to the battery. The remote turn on (blue wire) was not long enough. Only came with 2’ of cable or so. Ground was just as short. I used Posi-Taps for connections on speaker wires & remote turn on at 12v source. Soldered the connections for the main fuse under the hood & for the remote turn on wire to make it longer. Bought the Posi-Taps off of Amazon. Like $10 for 6 of them lol, but worth it. The speaker wires off the Posi-Taps are wires I had laying around. I had a brain fart and forgot the harness had plenty of length LOL. I ran the Kicker speaker wires up to the taps and removed mine (not seen in pics).

B49A525A-720E-4E3A-AF4A-4A6AEA025DD3.jpeg

132DA39A-4E4D-43B2-B2CF-CAAC2AAC69FF.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
load97

load97

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Random behind head unit pics. Nothing special.

88A6D25B-DDCB-46F5-B7D3-587EC6B55437.jpeg

D46C3568-8801-48CC-B772-1CCA31C3A206.jpeg

BB7298D6-2DDB-4D3C-8D4A-EACE7124D2DB.jpeg

OP
OP
load97

load97

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sorry I missed the reply. It sounds pretty good. I'm not using the remote sub control, so each way to work I adjust 1-2 things only, then listen and readjust. After about a week I got it dialed in pretty good. I haven't driven the truck in a few days now, but I'm very happy. I have the crossover set to just a hair to the right of the center up line. I originally had it further to the right (120 hz?), but it was too boomy for me. I have the bass boost just a hair over the first line to the left. Just enough to give a little extra oomph. The gain I have set to between the 2-3 line to the left. I may lower it a hair still.

Now that I converted the Ram over to Pioneer 3 ways in all the doors & Kicker speakers in the dash with the 4 ohm 10 watt resistor soldered on them & the Kicker under seat sub, I think my Ram sounds much better. I was just telling the wife this last night. The Kicker isn't going to pound the snot out of me like when I was a kid with big systems, as everyone says as well. But it is pretty nice. It does give a little bit of punch to the seats when the right frequency down low hits. I wish it was just a hair more punch, but then I'd have to put a different sub in under the back seat and possibly lose my fold flat floor, or eff around a lot to get it all to fit. Plus I'd be spending more cash than I want right now. Wife has been pretty good about letting spend some money on the speakers as well as few other things done to the truck.

So for the last few days I have been driving our 2019 Jeep Cherokee that has the 8.4 4C and the 9 speaker premium system. Now originally I thought it was pretty decent for an upgraded system & my Ram with the stock 6 speaker system with stock speakers sucked; which the Ram did lol. Since switching the Ram over to upgraded speakers, I like the Ram better now. Especially for the bass. The Jeep has what I thought too much high pitched sound to it now that I didn't notice before (I do like my highs to be stronger than most people probably like). I adjusted the equalizer on the Jeep and that made it worse. If the wife will allow, maybe in the spring, I will see if Mopar has a factory Kicker upgraded 8" sub or fit one in to the Jeeps enclosure. Possibly a different amp. We'll see how ambitious I really am & the cash flow. Since I'm the only one with an income while the wife works, it's not as easy to spend. Once college is done and I put her to work.... :)

On a side note, here's a quick list of the vehicles I most recently had with stock premium systems in them and what I thought (this is at the time BTW lol). There really wasn't much if any for stock premium audio that I had before this time, which both GM cars were just a Bose amp with special equalizer settings like many of the cars from the 90's and earlier.

1998 Buick Regal GS with 4 speaker premium system. Sounded decent, but not great.

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP with 4 speaker premium system. Sounded decent, but not great. Same speakers as the Buick. The car later got a custom fiberglass 10" sub and 6 speakers added. Sounded great. My buddy now owns the car & puts his baby in it lol.

2004 Saturn Vue Redline with 7 speaker premium system. sucked balz, soon as wife started driving our Nitro we bought 3 months later & I was stuck with it, I **** canned all the speakers & added 2nd cheapy amp for sub only. Changed out sub for a cheapy on Amazon as well. Made it tolerable, but not great.

2007 Dodge Nitro R/T with 9 speaker premium system. Sounded pretty decent. Was pretty happy with it. Though, I always contemplated just changing out the speakers for factory upgraded Kickers. Sold the SUV to my brother, so I still ride in it once in a while.

2017 Harley Davidson CVO Street Glide with 4 speaker dual amp premium system (currently have). Sounds better than my Saturn ever did, but not much for bass. Open air drivers seat, go figure right? lol.

2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk with 9 speaker premium system (currently have). The SUV as of last May. Best factory system we've had so far. The sub won't give me that little bit of punch that I like down low, but at least fills the bottom end of sound enough to be pleasing.

2015 Ram Sport with 6 speaker stock system. Pretty crappy to me. I'd put it better than my two GM cars stock systems & maybe even better than my Saturn Vue after I swapped speakers even, but that's it. Just changing the 6 speakers out and adding a compact under seat subwoofer made it pretty damn nice!

I always have loved a nice loud system, even as a kid through my late 20's. But as I get older (in my 40's now), I want it to be clean accurate sound that's just a bit louder than normal. Enough to make me feel a little youthful, but not embarrassingly so. Just enough bass to really feel it punch a bit.

Last edited:
OP
OP
load97

load97

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
FYI to help others out in their journey. Here's what I used on my standard 6 speaker factory system truck. I found most of these speakers from reading other peoples threads on doing budget friendly speaker upgrades that are fairly quick installs with decent results.

Subwoofer for under the seat is a Kicker 11HS8 8" shallow powered sub. https://www.amazon.com/Kicker-11HS8-Hideaway-Subwoofer-Enclosure/dp/B007LQWSYC/ref=sr_1_1?crid=166EZZKIL8O1P&keywords=kicker+hideaway&qid=1548196029&s=Electronics&sprefix=kicker+hid,electronics,237&sr=1-1

All door speakers are Pioneer TSA6966R 6" x 9" 3 ways. They fit right in, including the front. No modification needed. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014Z7IIV6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Dash speakers are Kicker 43DSC3504 3.5" 2 ways. Fit right in. I did use the 4 ohm 10 watt resistors on the positive side like other have stated. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BLVEV8S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The resistors I used for the dash speakers are SQP10AJB-3R9 3.9 OHM 10 watts. Soldered on the positive side. Wrpped the joint in good electrical tape. The resistor doesn't get hot or even warm with stock wattage going to it. https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/SQP10AJB-3R9/3.9W-10-ND/18725?utm_medium=email&utm_source=oce&utm_campaign=2444_OCE18RT&utm_content=productdetail_US&utm_cid=756297&so=57578058&mkt_tok=eyJpIjoiTW1Fd1pqZGxPRFptWkRJMiIsInQiOiJkTGlPNXd0VlJkSDltbkg5M0xXTHRZb2dqM0V6WXdGc1wvV3RQcW1FVUducTZlcGJ0OGZwWDBzbGVxdDFncXY4UTQwNyt4WVQ4YTNxMUtTeWZlNDhOZkNVM0k0SHowU1EwSnEzZHk5NWg2SjRiVVVqcXk1UE1OQTJaS3JnbStvbHcifQ==

Metra 72-6514 Speaker Wire Adapters for the doors. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GEIP95C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Metra 72-7902 Speaker wire adapters for the dash (resistors solder/crimp to) https://www.qualitymobilevideo.com/72-7902.html

I did not install, but others have said work & sound decent for the dash are Dayton PS95 3.5" speakers. These are 8 Ohm and do not require the resistor on them. https://www.parts-express.com/dayto...point-source-full-range-driver-8-ohm--295-349

Posi-Tap 6pc pack #605/6 16-18 awg Blue. These are wire taps that save a lot of time (as other have used). Spendy, but trustworthy. Used on the amp remote signal wire & on the radio harness to splice in to factory rear speaker wires for the subwoofer. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H242NNY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
So for the last few days I have been driving our 2019 Jeep Cherokee that has the 8.4 4C and the 9 speaker premium system. Now originally I thought it was pretty decent for an upgraded system & my Ram with the stock 6 speaker system with stock speakers sucked; which the Ram did lol. Since switching the Ram over to upgraded speakers, I like the Ram better now. Especially for the bass.

Agreed. I had a 2015 Big Horn with the 9 speaker Alpine system. I replaced the dash speakers (did not have the 4 ohm resistors). It sounded pretty good.

Now I've got a 2018 Big Horn with the 8.4, 6 speaker system. I replaced the dash speakers, including using the 4 ohm resistors, put in an 8" powered subwoofer (Rockville USS8) behind the back seat, replaced the front door speakers with the same Pioneer 6X9's as you have. It sounded noticeably better than the Alpine system in my 2015.

I enjoyed it for 10 days. Then came the Uconnect OTA software update that screwed it over.

I always have loved a nice loud system, even as a kid through my late 20's. But as I get older (in my 40's now), I want it to be clean accurate sound that's just a bit louder than normal. Enough to make me feel a little youthful, but not embarrassingly so. Just enough bass to really feel it punch a bit.

Same with me.