Under hood insulation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Magnum5.9

Reaction score
Ram Year
01 ram 1500 4x4
Engine
Magnum 5.9
The insulation that hangs from the underside of the hood is on its last leg.

Anyone make a replacement part? Or throw it in the garbage and don't worry about the temp effecting the hood paint?

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
For me it was the latter. Bout all it does is quiet the engine down a little. I had the dealer tear mine off when I took it home.

You CAN get replacements tho from LMC.

mitchbowers

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996 2500 5-speed, soon to be leveled on 33's
Engine
5.9 Magnum
50/50 chance any of the old vehicles I drive has the insulation. Don't think it really ever makes a difference

OP
OP
M

Magnum5.9

Reaction score
Ram Year
01 ram 1500 4x4
Engine
Magnum 5.9
For me it was the latter. Bout all it does is quiet the engine down a little. I had the dealer tear mine off when I took it home.

You CAN get replacements tho from LMC.

Any I'll effects? Paint chiping/peeling? And how long have you had it without the insulation

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
It's a fire blanket, it's ment to fall on the engine in case of a fire. Get a new one.

OP
OP
M

Magnum5.9

Reaction score
Ram Year
01 ram 1500 4x4
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Not really sure who to believe because Merc has A LOT of knowledge so I am leaning toward his side...

but a new one is $180 from LMC :puke:

Anyone know of anyone else that makes these things... I dont want my clear coat and paint to get ruined due to the heat without the heat shield.

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OP, I don't know if this helps you, but tomorrow I am actually gonna pull my oem heat shield and replace it with an aftermarket heat insulating/sound absorbing hoodliner. See pics below.

I am guessing that this stuff might even be cheaper than the factory part new, and it definitely has better insulating/absorbing properties... Not to mention it looks nice, too.

http://www.streetsideauto.com/p/dyn...vuJSuXN3oQsmdCMrYS1o8_4dRtju7B_mvwaAhn08P8HAQ

I am installing mine to cut down on engine noise (for audio purposes), and also to reduce the heat that soaks through the hood and ages the paint. :favorites13:

Attachments

• Dynamat Hoodliner 7.jpg
    Dynamat Hoodliner 7.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 430
  • 2002_Ford_F-150_14.jpg
    2002_Ford_F-150_14.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 1,167

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Go ask your local fire department guys......

I AM one of the local fire department guys... by the time the fire would be involved enough to release any clips, t would be too involved to be smothered. Also, the way a fire would happen under the hood would almost guarantee that one side or the other would release first negating any smothering of the engine fire. All this would do id redirect the fire to other areas. Fire, like water follows the path of least resistance.

OP
OP
M

Magnum5.9

Reaction score
Ram Year
01 ram 1500 4x4
Engine
Magnum 5.9
OP, I don't know if this helps you, but tomorrow I am actually gonna pull my oem heat shield and replace it with an aftermarket heat insulating/sound absorbing hoodliner. See pics below.

I am guessing that this stuff might even be cheaper than the factory part new, and it definitely has better insulating/absorbing properties... Not to mention it looks nice, too.

Dynamat Part No. 11905 - Sound Deadening Materials

I am installing mine to cut down on engine noise (for audio purposes), and also to reduce the heat that soaks through the hood and ages the paint. :favorites13:

Either do a DIY thread or send me a pm on how it goes! Very interested to see how it turns out!

Crocdocs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 5.9
Not really sure who to believe because Merc has A LOT of knowledge so I am leaning toward his side...

but a new one is $180 from LMC :puke:

Anyone know of anyone else that makes these things... I dont want my clear coat and paint to get ruined due to the heat without the heat shield.
I'm positive it is for fire protection, but so if you have a small fire it will not ruin the paint, however if you are just worried about the paint it will do nothing to hurt it, it isn't there for paint protection it for fire protection. I've had 5 vehicles that have not had it and paint holds up fine, it's no big deal to not have one on it or not, unless your worried about your engine catching fire lol
So it should be up to you if you want original or not?
:favorites13:

Last edited:

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
go to a local upullit and get a used "new to you" one for like $10 or $15

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I AM one of the local fire department guys... by the time the fire would be involved enough to release any clips, t would be too involved to be smothered. Also, the way a fire would happen under the hood would almost guarantee that one side or the other would release first negating any smothering of the engine fire. All this would do id redirect the fire to other areas. Fire, like water follows the path of least resistance.

Yeah, I took mine off yesterday and I can't imagine it serving any purpose other than collecting dirt and looking like ****, lol! It's like 1/8" thick and cardboard like material... For the sake of research, I might take a lighter to it and see what happens.