Two Days Under the ‘01 For Clutch Replacement NV3500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MarkMac77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
So driving home from a trip to the mountains last week, I went to downshift and the transmission went *BANG* and the clutch pedal fell lifelessly to the floorboard.

A quick look under the truck revealed that the throwout bearing left the chat in dramatic fashion.

IMG_9496.jpeg

The parts counter guy asked me, “How do you know it’s the throwout bearing?”

The parts guy was convinced after I showed him the image above. So off I went with a replacement clutch kit, including a new pressure plate, friction disk, pilot bearing and throwout bearing.

Now, in my youth replacing a clutch was a 1-day job, but I was about to discover my 2001 Ram was a very stubborn truck.

It took a whole day just to get the old clutch out. The cross-member the transmission sits on was not willing to budge after being unbolted… even with the weight of the transmission and transfer case sitting on it. The cross-member laughed at the rubber mallet.

For lack of an OSHA approved technique, I had to use a farm jack to spread the frame rails and work the cross-member out Wile-E-Coyote style, with a lot of heavy iron hanging over my head, and under enormous tension.

IMG_9506.jpeg

**I’m not advocating this approach!**

I was already committed to the job at this point, desperate, and highly experienced at stupid.

I did manage to shoot the jack handle about 40 feet across the driveway once, where it bounced off a 1948 John Deere B and rolled halfway back to me.

I don’t know whether my individual truck had a previous adventure where the frame got bent, or whether Ram engineered the cross member to fit that tightly… but the crossmember was too wide by about two fat thumb-widths.

By the end of Day 2 I had everything put back together, no personal or property injuries, and the truck had a new clutch assembly, new hydraulic ***** & master cylinder, new transmission mount, and as a bonus I identified and fixed a broken vacuum line secretly hiding on top of the transmission.

Another *bonus* is that I thought I had a noisy transmission input shaft bearing, because the NV3500 transmission was noisy in neutral, just idling, without the clutch pedal depressed. In my experience, a dying throwout bearing usually makes noise when you depress the clutch pedal. Well, after replacing the throwout & pilot bearings the truck now idles without any transmission noise.

I did some searching online before and didn’t get much in the way of results for transmission noises. I also know Dodge didn’t make a huge amount of manual transmission trucks. I posted this here for future fellas researching clutch replacement and noises.

At any rate, the old hay wagon is back on the road now. 16 bales, no sweat..

IMG_9180.jpeg

Last edited:

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
Desperate times call for desperate measures stay as safe as you can

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members