Undercoating/oil spraying

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Since I live in the wonderful salt belt, and now my truck is going into its 2nd full winter (I know. I should have done it last year. But things came up and winter came on hard and fast) I’m wanting to get it sprayed so she don’t turn into a pile of rust, never have had it done before on any cars/trucks of mine. But. Is there any particular ones/brands I should stay away from? And being I have a diesel. Is there any components I need to tell them to not spray to avoid any problems with the emissions crap or something that will have a mental breakdown if it gets oiled??? And I remember a Chevy dealer telling me when I had my Chevy that it would void my warranty... does that apply here also????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I would just avoid any of the rubberized, tar like undercoats. Stuff like Ziebart sells. My FIL just basically destroyed his 2017 Nissan Frontier by having it coated with that crap >
Go with any of the oil type spray places. Krown is a popular one by me. I had my truck done in October for ~$150. Key is you need to have it done every year. Supposedly it's the high zinc content in Krown that gives it it's magic.

OP
OP
lpfm1990

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I would just avoid any of the rubberized, tar like undercoats. Stuff like Ziebart sells. My FIL just basically destroyed his 2017 Nissan Frontier by having it coated with that crap >
Go with any of the oil type spray places. Krown is a popular one by me. I had my truck done in October for ~$150. Key is you need to have it done every year. Supposedly it's the high zinc content in Krown that gives it it's magic.

I know it’s got to be done yearly. Around me. We have one guy that does krown. Another does fluid film. and the last does ruststop. Far as the rubberized ziebart, they are crazy expensive. And have heard many horror stories about them also

17CrewCab1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Man, I don't think I could handle such abuse on my cars. That would drive me nuts. I would have to buy a vehicle just to drive in winters.. sell it and do it again next winter.. haha

I saw a car a few years back here in Arizona, it was from Ohio, and there wasn't a car left. Was rust everywhere.. even the license plate was destroyed.

My buddy moved from Virginia and helped me do some work on my last truck. We crawled under the truck to replace the springs. He laid under their for like 10 minutes... in shock... and I was like dude what? He said how old is this truck? I said 5 years... he said this is just as clean as my truck was off the lot... but that lasted a few months...

But living in Arizona.. we can travel 2.5 hours up north and play in the snow in Flagstaff. I like playing in the snow, snowboarding, little off roading, but man.. I couldn't drive in that stuff everyday.. every morning.. I give you all some mad respect.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know it’s got to be done yearly. Around me. We have one guy that does krown. Another does fluid film. and the last does ruststop. Far as the rubberized ziebart, they are crazy expensive. And have heard many horror stories about them also

Cant go wrong with Krown or FF, not sure which brand Rust Stop is.

Personally I would go with Krown. I oil undercoat my truck by myself since I have no Krown dealers near me....I do have a FF installer but prefer the newer coatings to FF.

17CrewCab1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Cant go wrong with Krown or FF, not sure which brand Rust Stop is.

Personally I would go with Krown. I oil undercoat my truck by myself since I have no Krown dealers near me....I do have a FF installer but prefer the newer coatings to FF.

Is it some sort of spray can?

OP
OP
lpfm1990

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Man, I don't think I could handle such abuse on my cars. That would drive me nuts. I would have to buy a vehicle just to drive in winters.. sell it and do it again next winter.. haha

I saw a car a few years back here in Arizona, it was from Ohio, and there wasn't a car left. Was rust everywhere.. even the license plate was destroyed.

My buddy moved from Virginia and helped me do some work on my last truck. We crawled under the truck to replace the springs. He laid under their for like 10 minutes... in shock... and I was like dude what? He said how old is this truck? I said 5 years... he said this is just as clean as my truck was off the lot... but that lasted a few months...

But living in Arizona.. we can travel 2.5 hours up north and play in the snow in Flagstaff. I like playing in the snow, snowboarding, little off roading, but man.. I couldn't drive in that stuff everyday.. every morning.. I give you all some mad respect.

I live for the snow [emoji23]
12289f313e493443f81a7efd586f4657.jpg
3527a901207a1b8acebcb92b7b74f238.jpg

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
... Far as the rubberized ziebart, they are crazy expensive. And have heard many horror stories about them also

When my FIL (who is in his 70s) rolled into a local Ziebart shop recently the guy at the shop originally quoted him something like $1200. When my FIL balked at that the guy asked him "What do you want to spend?" FIL said, I dunno.. maybe $300? $600 later he rolled out with the whole underside caked in that rubbery nightmare. Just like I suggested he DON'T do. "But I get FREE yearly re-sprays" he said. Ughh...

It was a real nice showroom clean 2017 Frontier crew cab 4x4 that he recently bought.

17CrewCab1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Now I jet ski and do water sports, do some snowboarding, but this.. this looks fun but scary at the same time. I'd be always worried, what is under the snow? Stump? haha

(Sorry for jumping off topic to the OP)

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is it some sort of spray can?

You can get FF is small spray cans but thats really only good for small areas (think door hinges, inside the tailgate, etc)

I get a gallon of what I use (Corrosion Free Rust Cure) and a pneumatic undercoating spray gun (essentially a slightly modified paint gun so it can feed thicker liquids), hook it up to my compressor and go to town. Comes with 3 different nozzles which I use depending on what Im coating (360 degree for inside things, etc)

OP
OP
lpfm1990

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Now I jet ski and do water sports, do some snowboarding, but this.. this looks fun but scary at the same time. I'd be always worried, what is under the snow? Stump? haha

(Sorry for jumping off topic to the OP)

That’s why I trail ride [emoji23], I know people who go to the mountains and backcountry areas strictly, I do go off trail in some areas where I know there’s nothing under the snow (or so I hope [emoji23])

235f6e9fb4787a7f322fabe7e135a5fe.jpg

OP
OP
lpfm1990

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Used to run on the hill about every weekend growing up. Old Forge has some awesome trails too.

5 weeks from now I should be running the hill. Every year the weekend before or of Christmas I get down there. My sleds are my babies [emoji23]. And they drain my bank accounts [emoji23]

Mega-Hemi

US AIR FORCE '08-'18
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
5 weeks from now I should be running the hill. Every year the weekend before or of Christmas I get down there. My sleds are my babies [emoji23]. And they drain my bank accounts [emoji23]

I used to. Unfortunately, I had to sell my sleds when I joined the military in ‘08. Now that I’m back in NY I’d like to get some again but that has to wait till the house and family are settled.

R.D.J.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I fluid filmed my 2018 maybe a month ago. It defintely looks like crap under there when the gravel dust sticks to it, but I'm happy with the results.

I work on trucks for a living, and people always ask if I hate working on oiled trucks, and my answer is always the same: I would definitely rather clean the fluid film/road dust out of my clothes/hair/skin, than have to torch everything off of the truck due to rust/corrosion. Every.Single.Time.

OP
OP
lpfm1990

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I fluid filmed my 2018 maybe a month ago. It defintely looks like crap under there when the gravel dust sticks to it, but I'm happy with the results.

I work on trucks for a living, and people always ask if I hate working on oiled trucks, and my answer is always the same: I would definitely rather clean the fluid film/road dust out of my clothes/hair/skin, than have to torch everything off of the truck due to rust/corrosion. Every.Single.Time.

In the spring I’d hit up the local power wash and get the underbody wash a couple times. Might rinse off most the oil. But by spring the salt is gone. And just re oil it in the fall again?

Abell34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7l
Just scheduled my new 18 at the local detail shop. They sell an 18 month rust prevention treatment. Supposedly they remove all the lights and panels and spray everything from power window apperatus to the brake lines and inner door panels. Sounded pretty labor instensive but theyre about 250 bucks. I didnt think it was too bad. That treatment and an exterior detail with paint corrections for about 400 bucks sounded pretty good to me. Just the thought of hand waxing this big a$$ truck makes it worth every penny.

OP
OP
lpfm1990

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Just scheduled my new 18 at the local detail shop. They sell an 18 month rust prevention treatment. Supposedly they remove all the lights and panels and spray everything from power window apperatus to the brake lines and inner door panels. Sounded pretty labor instensive but theyre about 250 bucks. I didnt think it was too bad. That treatment and an exterior detail with paint corrections for about 400 bucks sounded pretty good to me. Just the thought of hand waxing this big a$$ truck makes it worth every penny.

Took me like 3hrs to wax my truck, but I rather do it and not have some idiot buff the paint off my truck [emoji23]

Mega-Hemi

US AIR FORCE '08-'18
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I’d rather wax my truck than my 35’ 5th wheel. But I still end up doing both every spring. [emoji30]

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
I've been doing Fluid film myself on the truck since it was new. It's the best stuff for DIY IMO.

wT2IB1W.png

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jems007