Undercoating (Your Thoughts)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ubem

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Has anyone ever used the product called (Undercoating In A Can) by Petroleum Service Company. The product is a black wax coating which has been used on United States Military and Commercial vehicles for several decades and remains pliable drying to a semi firm tacky touch to resist chips and cracking. Reviewing their web site the product appears to be promising, is reasonably priced and is sold in 12oz spray cans, pint, quart, gallon and multi gallon drums. It can also be purchased in a clear color also.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
As long as it's not rubberized or tar like, I'd use it.

I've been on the woolwax and fluid film kick the past few years, but there's lots of great products out there.

Rick_Hunts

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Following this.

I've used POR 15 products for years they make a rust inhibiting product and also frame coat type of paint that held up well when I lived in IL with all their salt

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Check the Gen 4 threads, there are a number of extensive conversations on this topic.

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage
Check out waxoly

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've used POR 15 products in the past with great results, I used the black primer that stopped the rust or prevented the rust but it had to be coated with paint or undercoating the kind i used stopped rust.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I use KROWN Spray ! It is like Fluid Film or Wool Wax . I think Wool Wax is more Similar what you found !
SO sounds good.

Plenty of How to videos on You Tube on how to use Krown. Fluid Film etc ! Should be same you your find!
So I will be following . FYI Krown/FF is about 150$ dealer installed !

Krown drills access holes in doors, post etc!
I had dealer do it because I am lazy lol

jeeperjkjeeper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I use KROWN Spray ! It is like Fluid Film or Wool Wax . I think Wool Wax is more Similar what you found !
SO sounds good.

Plenty of How to videos on You Tube on how to use Krown. Fluid Film etc ! Should be same you your find!
So I will be following . FYI Krown/FF is about 150$ dealer installed !

Krown drills access holes in doors, post etc!
I had dealer do it because I am lazy lol
Krown is great stuff. I also use Rust Check products from Crappy Tire...great stuff as well

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Has anyone ever used the product called (Undercoating In A Can) by Petroleum Service Company. The product is a black wax coating which has been used on United States Military and Commercial vehicles for several decades and remains pliable drying to a semi firm tacky touch to resist chips and cracking. Reviewing their web site the product appears to be promising, is reasonably priced and is sold in 12oz spray cans, pint, quart, gallon and multi gallon drums. It can also be purchased in a clear color also.

Sounds like Woolwax and Fluid Film.

NorthStar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn/Lone Star 4x2 Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
I saw where my rear axle was showing a very mild surface rust so decided to get after it. I used Rustoleum Rust Converter and the Rustoleum high temp black to do the entire thing. Then I ordered three cans for Fluid Film from Amazon to coat the axle and entire underside of the truck. Worked like a charm!

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Northstar1

Our Rams get the paint scraped of the rear axles during the factory assembly
The trucks don't get the wheels put on until just at the end of the assembly process.

If you have seen your vehicles up on a hoist & the hoist is the kind that holds up the vehicle by the rear axle housing, that cradle is like what they use at the assembly plant.
The assembly plant moves the vehicles through miles of track, without the tires on the vehicle

Last edited:

NorthStar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Our Rams get the paint scraped of the rear axles during the factory assembly
The trucks don't get the wheels put on until just at the end of the assembly process.

If you have seen your vehicles up on a hoist & the hoist is the kind that holds up the vehicle by the rear axle housing, that cradle is like what they use at the assembly plant.
The assembly plant moves the vehicles through miles of track, without the tires on the vehicle

Understand but all of my surface rust was on the top of the axle and around where the drive shaft enters the pumpkin (on the front of the axle). I've owned new Rams going back to the 80s and never seen anything like it until our 5th Gens started doing it.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Understand but all of my surface rust was on the top of the axle and around where the drive shaft enters the pumpkin (on the front of the axle). I've owned new Rams going back to the 80s and never seen anything like it until our 5th Gens started doing it.

I've got a 19 1st of the 5 gen and I got all kinds of rust on everything cast iron and metal where's there's no paint on it at all, I'm keeping this truck, I'll be going under to rustolium everything.

NorthStar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
I've got a 19 1st of the 5 gen and I got all kinds of rust on everything cast iron and metal where's there's no paint on it at all, I'm keeping this truck, I'll be going under to rustolium everything.
I know the feeling as I was even shocked to see the lower shock mounts had rust. IMHO, given the cost of these Rams there is no reason FCA should skimp on primer and paint during the manufacturing process.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6

Dodge 1500 4X4

I do like Rust oleum as well ! BUT on the car frame I would worry about not getting the nooks and crannies in the frame. Plus the paint will flake off from road chips IMO and may hold moisture !
That is why I like Fluid Film ,Krown or wool wax , It travels all over the frame . Plus you can buy it in spray cans and do it your self, But I am lazy and paid to have it KROWNED lol Average is about 150$ and they drill and spray the door panels and several other places !
I see that you are a youngster so why not stop in and see a few of us young pups well not so young pups lol :) at
Senior citizen club