Unloaded '06 and Loaded '16

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fishstickz

Reaction score
Ram Year
'06, '16
Engine
3.7, 5.7 Hemi
Ended up picking up a new truck, so I'll be starting up a new thread to keep track of BOTH my trucks and maybe I'll actually keep up with it lol

So my older truck is a 2006 Ram 1500 sitting at around 220k miles. Started out as a base-model single cab short bed with the absolute powerhouse 3.7L V6, but slowly been adding some nice features. Put well over 100k miles on it since 2016 when I picked it up, and have put nearly the same amount of dollars into it (Not really but I know there's a LOT) I have an old build thread for it here, but I'll line up the gist of things
- Manual to OEM power windows/door locks/mirror conversion
- 2017 seat/jumpseat swap
- New carpet
- Custom RAQ Radio with red LEDs
- Bluetooth audio
- Custom headlights with retrofitted HIDs
- New suspension components all around (Some have been replaced twice, this truck eats suspension components lol)
- New engine at 200k miles
- 2.5" leveling kit with 33" Federal Xplora R/Ts and 20" Gear Off-Road chrome wheels
- Paint-matched grille and sport bumper cover conversion
- Added aftermarket fog lights
- Too many changes in AlfaOBD
- 4.56 gears with a Detroit TruTrac LSD

Probably a lot more I'm forgetting, but it's been a pretty great truck. Still have plenty to do with it

Screen Shot 2023-08-29 at 12.43.36 PM.png

The new rig is a 2016 Ram Rebel with about 78k miles. I've put about 3k miles on it since buying it and I've loved just about every second. Its loaded out with more features than I could ever need and I am enjoying the 5.7L and the 8 speed combo even though that dial shifter is a little weird. I've already got a few mods done to it
- Added UnderCover Flex tonneau cover
- Added some bed lighting strips
- Backseat mod
- Couple of changes in AlfaOBD

Img1.png
IMG_6588.png

Now I have two money pits to split my paychecks between

Last edited:

Hanover Fiste

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 SLT, 2018 Sport
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have an '05 and an '18, so I know where you're coming from!

OP
OP
Fishstickz

Fishstickz

Reaction score
Ram Year
'06, '16
Engine
3.7, 5.7 Hemi
Haven't done much to the trucks recently besides gave them both a good interior cleaning. Filling up with gas in one truck was bad enough, having to fill up with gas in two trucks is just plain miserable lol

The drivers side bottom seat cover is ripped and the dealer wants over $700 bucks to replace it. I'm either gonna have to get lucky and find someone willing to part ways with their red Rebel drivers seat bottom cover, find someone who feels confident in patching it up, or just get seat covers

OP
OP
Fishstickz

Fishstickz

Reaction score
Ram Year
'06, '16
Engine
3.7, 5.7 Hemi
The Rebel decided to develop a bit of a tick at startup, so I had whatever cheap 5w20 they were putting in there drained and filled it up with Redline 5W30 for peace of mind. I'm hoping over time that tick will begin to quiet down with the RL. Even though its just at startup, it makes me cringe hearing it.

The '06 also decided to start giving me troubles with a no-crank no-start condition intermittently but slowly got worse. I was worried that I'd have to replace the TIPM as I tracked the issue down to a faulty starter relay, which to my knowledge was built into the TIPM circuitboard. But luckily for me my 2006 still had a separate starter relay behind the TIPM--I guess they didn't start putting the starter relay on the circuitboard until 2007. What I thought was going to be a $500+ dollar fix for a new TIPM was only a $15 relay. Also drained whatever cheap 5w20 was in this truck (not sure why 5w20 was in there to begin with, oversight on my part) and replaced it with 5w30