Updated pics finally!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Finally had a chance to get the new blue ox and shank hooked up and set. Still 3/4" nose high, but if I get the next longer shank, my Ram will turn into a trencher. Here's hoping my family weight drops the nose of that thing a bit more :)

26' 5500lbs wet. Really pulls strong, Happy for now. Next truck will be an HD for sure so we can move up because this little rascal puts me over my GVWR by a good chunk.

Fender measurements before hookup F: 38.5", R: 41.5"
After hookup with no tension on bars F: 39", R: 40"
After hookup with 8 loose links F: 38.75", R: 40.75"
After hookup with 9 loose links F: 38.5", R: 41"

It still seemed to wiggle around quite a bit with 8 loose links. Gaining one more tension link seemed to clean that up quite a bit, but I only got going as fast as 80KM/h on the service road and I was bucking a 55km/h wind- so my perception may be skewed.

Attachments

• 2014-07-05 15.28.32.jpg
    2014-07-05 15.28.32.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:

h2oman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's a good looking rig.

BoldAdventure

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Very nice looking rig. I can not recall, did you end up with the variable rate springs or the 50%

BoldAdventure

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
So, have your impressions of the Durtrac's changed at all? I saw in a few earlier threads you felt they kind of floated all over the road.

OP
OP
smurfs_of_war

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Nope. In fact I am working on a deal as we speak for a trade across on some BFG ATs with a member of our local truck club. I brought them up to 60PSI each and they are still really soft and squirmy and just plain uncomfortable.

Lesson learned. Moment of weakness.

cableguy_hd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 2500 CTD
Engine
6.7 Cummings
If you get the BGF's post how they do. That's gonna be my choice I think when I need tires

BoldAdventure

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
We have Nitto's Trail Grapplers (not the Terra) on our other truck, and I personally hate them, mostly becuase they are horrible in the rain. Yet it seems everyone and their mother gets them, and a lot of folks seem to be towing with the Terra Grapplers.

I've heard good things about towing with the BFG AT K/O's.

rebel89820

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Nope. In fact I am working on a deal as we speak for a trade across on some BFG ATs with a member of our local truck club. I brought them up to 60PSI each and they are still really soft and squirmy and just plain uncomfortable.

Lesson learned. Moment of weakness.
We run duratracs on our work trucks, I can't remember the load range on them but they actually say 90 psi cold on the tires ... once we figured that out it wasn't so scary towing the heavy stuff. I agree with you tho, the BFG's are far superior, we can't get more than 20k out of the duratracs, even on the half-tons. Good luck, hope the deal works out for you!

whatroads

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 QC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7 w/ 3.92
I run BFG AT's. Great tires for towing. I tow a 7K 31 ft travel trailer. I use C rated BFG's. Work great for my application. If I had a 3/4 I would be using E rated

OP
OP
smurfs_of_war

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Cableguy_hd requested an update after a good run with the BFGs. Absolute night and day difference. No wandering, felt firmly planted and in control at all times. This is a 2 week trip- so we were loaded HEAVY and it was smooth sailing. With the duratracs I always felt like I was one bump in the road away from disaster. As you guys are all my witness- I swear I will never EVER cheat on my BFGs again :)

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Cableguy_hd requested an update after a good run with the BFGs. Absolute night and day difference. No wandering, felt firmly planted and in control at all times. This is a 2 week trip- so we were loaded HEAVY and it was smooth sailing. With the duratracs I always felt like I was one bump in the road away from disaster. As you guys are all my witness- I swear I will never EVER cheat on my BFGs again :)

Love to read this. I have been in love with that tire since I was 15. I have had them on 2 Durangos and my current Ram. They look amazing and you can't kill them. They do everything well including wear. I have about 65k on mine right now with 6/32nds left I believe. You can tow anything with them and they don't waver. They are expensive but they are worth every penny!

TomR00

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When you guys are talking the BFG tires are you talking about the BFG AT TA KO in the LT275/65R20 size??

Thanks

StevoTee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I tow a 31 foot, 7500GVWR trailer, using air bags. Air the bags up to 30PSI, Tires to 50PSI.

On our most recent trip, found that it was bucking quit a bit (Really boucy), just loosened off 1 link and seemed to make it better.

So if you're having trouble setting the WDH with the stiffer springs, it'll be trial and error.

oh, and since we're on tires now, I have Toyo Open Country ATII Extremes, really like them. Daily drive at 35PSI and AIr up to 50 PSI for towing. They are a tad squishy at 35 PSI.

BoldAdventure

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Mike, do you have any lift on your rig? Looks like it's level or rides a lil high? Just curious. Maybe it's just the photo.

OP
OP
smurfs_of_war

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
It is a little higher. The rear springs pop it up a little because they don't compress as much unladen as the OEM coils and barely compress with the tongue weight- which is why I needed that longer drop shank. The Rancho replacement coil overs up front have a 1.75" lift to them as well. But, the trailer is really low slung, so it likely looks worse than it is. In the pic it is pretty much at unloaded ride height.

WulfGang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I tow a 31 foot, 7500GVWR trailer, using air bags. Air the bags up to 30PSI, Tires to 50PSI.

On our most recent trip, found that it was bucking quit a bit (Really boucy), just loosened off 1 link and seemed to make it better.

So if you're having trouble setting the WDH with the stiffer springs, it'll be trial and error.

oh, and since we're on tires now, I have Toyo Open Country ATII Extremes, really like them. Daily drive at 35PSI and AIr up to 50 PSI for towing. They are a tad squishy at 35 PSI.

I have the same tires.

Towing I run 60psi - nice & firm. Feels good. Can tow faster than is safe. lol - if I wanted to.

Non-towing I run rears at 32psi and fronts at 35psi.
I run less in the rears because I lost a lot of tread from my last tires in the center. These are expensive tires (as you probably know) so I want to maximize their life!

Also, I figure the weight is more up front so a little more psi won't hurt their either.

Love my AT II's.
These too, worth every $