Upgrading factory speakers. Questions I have.

Discussion in 'Audio & Electronics' started by Oilman77, Jul 1, 2019.

1. Oilman77

Oilman77 Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7l
    I have the alpine system, but I wanna upgrade the speakers while retaining the factory amp(for now that is). I wanna replace the speakers and later down the road replace sub with two subs and amps with a converter cuz I want to keep stock head unit. Now with the speakers. I’ve read on here that the front side dash speakers are the highs while the front doors are the mids. So I’m thinking of a component set for these. Woofers in the doors and tweeters up front. Can the tweeters handle that? Also the rear doors and headliner speakers. I was thinking of doing the same for back there. Center channel up front I’m thinking a 3.5 coaxial speaker, possibly just keeping stock since when I upgrade to aftermarket amps I won’t even wire it up. It’s hard to find all of the answers to my questions in a single article or at all really. Does anyone have a link to the specs of the stock amp? Has anyone done the two component sets like I mentioned above? Or should it be like this- all three dash speakers be 3.5 coaxial, front doors are component set with the woofers in the front doors and the tweeters in the headliner in the back, then 6x9 coaxial in the back doors? Also plan on installing dynamat in areas as well. Reason I want to retain stock head unit is i bought the truck used. It came with nav and back up camera and I don’t wanna lose them. I don’t have the activation code for the nav which if I understand correctly. if I even hard reset my radio I would have to purchase the code again. Could be wrong on that tho. Hopefully my post isn’t an eye rolling one and I can get some friendly help. Thanks all.

2. kp4243

kp4243 Senior Member Supporting Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Ok so I will say this. The best thing you can do is sound dampening. I used two different brands and did my entire cab for roughly $175+30 hours of my time. My plan is to run the front 3 speakers and the headliner speakers in series on the same channel. Then run the door speakers and a 10" sub.

3. rotwiler

rotwiler Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2013 QC Outdoorsman
    Engine:
    Up front use jbl gx302 3.5s in all 3, leave doors alone, the door sounds good. Rear doors use a 2 ohm jbl or infinity 6x9. That alone will make it sound 100% better. You might miss some freq if you do components, since the Amp crosses over the speakers. Infinity also makes a 3.5 3022cfx that sounds identical to the jbl Gx302. Add some butyl sound dampening to all doors and some closed cell foam sheets to stop rattle. Will be amazed how much better it sounds. Nav, once added pretty sure no activation code is needed later, but you may need 4 digit pin code for radio if is disconnected, easy to get online for like $20, need Vin and some numbers on back of radio.(factory speakers in dash have no tweeter seperate, is a cheap paper cone speaker). Door mid/bass 6x9 are poly and not bad, but still even in rear door, no tweeter, so is why it sounds so muffled.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    mbryanr2019 likes this.
  4. mbryanr2019

mbryanr2019 Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Thanks for the info, much appreciated. I was searching for similar as the OP and quickly realized with the wrong speaker choice, I could easily make it sound worse.

5. Epizza

Epizza Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    Can you give me the model# for the 2ohm jbl 6x9s? I'm having a hard time locating 2ohm 6x9s.

6. rotwiler

rotwiler Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2013 QC Outdoorsman
    Engine:
    The JBL gx962(2way) and gx963 3 way show 2.3ohms like oem on Crutchfield site. The gx963 on Amazon open box right now is $65 new they are 79.99 and Crutchfield wants over $100. I would get the open box ones, Amazon always does me right if there's a issue. The 2 way version is same price as 3 way.

7. Epizza

Epizza Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    Thanks!

8. mbryanr2019

mbryanr2019 Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    These alright for the rear and stock head unit same as OP