upgrading my 5.7 to 1200HP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Khalid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi All, first of all i like to say that I’m glad to join this form and get to know you all beside I’m so excited that i recently got myself a 2004 dodge ram, hemi 5.7 and i want to upgrade my engine to an extreme power to participate in our local drag race in my town.
the question is haw and what to start with!!
i need some professional advise.
thank you

jmgak47

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 1500 Express QC 8 Speed
Sell the Ram and buy a GM

Best advice you will get if your goal is really 1200 HP to the wheels or crank. Not going to happen out of a late model Hemi motor, performance world is not up to par nor tuning.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Replace with a viper engine, then start from there.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Welcome to the forum, start with a CAI and a cat back exhaust to enjoy driving your truck while you gather parts for the big build.

Harley Harrold

USAF Ret. 36+ years service
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
You could buy a custom chassis, complete with the Mopar Hellcat engine, performance transmission, super heavy duty rear differential, for around $250,000.00. Transfer your cab, bed, and sheet metal to the new chassis. Then install new wheels and tires to complete the package. :naughty:

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Start with realistic goals. Like how to use proper grammar when constructing a sentence.

How aboutt being a little more welcoming. The forum is a world wide community and not all of our members speak english as their first language. Discrimination because of that will not be tolerated. I'm sure he speaks english a whole lot better then you could speak arabic.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Welcome to the forum. If you want that kind of power out if the Hemi you will need supercharger or turbo as far as I know. People who dog on the Hemi should probably check out drag racing since the engines they use are all based on the Hemi even the other brands from what I have read.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
To get to anywhere near that goal you'll easily need a huge bankroll, patience, and a builder who you can work with. A 400 stroker engine with at least an f-1c procharger and some nitrous. Then behind that you need a completely different transmission but luckily you can flash the PCM to think it has a manual and run a trans from there.

That kind of power level requirements haven't been reached out of a 5.7L based build, but you'd be surprised the difference even just running 650rwhp.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Welcome to RamForum!

Sometimes people get a bit spun up over threads like this.
Don't mind them...

You've got a hell of a journey ahead of you if you plan on a reliable 1,200 HP truck.
Just trying to put down that my HP is going to be quite the challenge!

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Next time use your native language to see if they complain then!

MyOhFive

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
If you're serious about your 1200 HP and presumably have the time/money to make it happen, I would sell the HEMI and buy a cummins powered 2500 and build it...

Ramunit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Making HP is the easy part if you have the money, the hard part is finding a transmission that can survive. Not gonna happen with the 545rfe

preachp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi khalid, and all.

To All,
To those who talk trash about the Hemi let me gently remind you all that the hemis are some of the best engines out there and they hold many a record for performance and speed numbers. May I also remind you all that it was the 426 hemi that held the super stock NHRA record for OVER 20 YEARS, that was banned from from NASCAR in the early 70.s, that if I remember correctly still has a weight penalty on NHRA because of the ridiculous amount of power those funny looking heads are capable of. Also let remind everybody the strength of an engine is in the lower end while the power is made in the heads.

To Khalid,
Engines are a series of components that are matched and tuned for a specific purpose. You will need to engineer the engine for your numbers. You will need a stronger bottom end to start with forged and shot-peened con rods. Drop your compression down to about 6-8 to 1 then start with a super charger. and start increasing your boost. With the lower compression you will be able to radically increase the amount of boost you get out of the supercharger and you will also be able to put in a cam that will facilitate the outrageous airflow that you will be able to produce. +1 on the stroker idea just keep the compression low or you will be severely limiting the amount of boost you can run. I would suggest you find a true performance / engine machine shop. Get the heads a full port and polish and look at possibly increasing the valve diameter. Do not forget about your fuel injection and fuel pump they will need to be upgraded enough to accommodate that huge air you will be pumping into that thing.

preachp

Last edited:

dRAMbuie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Great post preach.
1200HP is probably doable but at huge cost.
It's been a while since I've run in the right circles but if memory serves your cost after about 750-800HP is going to increase exponentially and really isn't worth it unless you're a truly serious racer.

Don't forget a roll cage. That's a lot of ponies at your disposal.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk