Upgrading zone lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TD84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So my current set is a 2009 dodge ram cc 1500 big horn. I have the zone 6 inch lift with the 5 inch rear coils.

It has two inches of rake currently. Goal is to eliminate the rake and the front strut spacer. So I've been researching coilovers for the front. I'm leaning towards fox 2.5's.

In my research I've come across som threads that say coilovers, even if they are adjustable to 2.5 inches, shouldn't be adjusted more than 1 inch to 1.5 inches. Is this true? What other options do I have if I want to upgrade to coilovers to eliminate the rake?

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Keep the strut spacers and run a stock length coilover set to 2”-2.5” lift. That would put you at 7”-7.5” front lift.

Cmz2800

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Keep the strut spacers and run a stock length coilover set to 2”-2.5” lift. That would put you at 7”-7.5” front lift.
So you can add a spacer to a loaded spring? Not to steal the thread but if I do a loaded strut (RC 6 inch M1) couldn’t I put the spacer above the strut and have a total of 8 inches raised?

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you want more height your best bet is to keep the lift spacer in the front and just use an adjustable strut or coil over. We can offer most options with great pricing. We can also help figure out what option would fit your needs and budget best. Feel free to send me a message for more info and a quote

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you do stock length struts/coilovers with a spacer lift it is not different than using a stock strut in the lift. Most 6” lifts use a 5” spacer in conjunction with a 1” preload spacer to get to 6” lift. Quite a few people will skip installing the preload spacer and just use bilstein 5100 or another leveling strut. You cannot use lifted struts with spacers because the lifted struts are 4” longer already and adding a 2” spacer on top would screw the geometry up.
So you can add a spacer to a loaded spring? Not to steal the thread but if I do a loaded strut (RC 6 inch M1) couldn’t I put the spacer above the strut and have a total of 8 inches raised?
I would not add a preload spacer to a leveling strut or lifted strut/coilover. It is designed to work at a set height. Bilstein, eibach, and fox are adjustable but I would not use a preload with them since you would just adjust them. The rough country struts are built to work at the height they are sold at. They are not designed to add preload spacers to them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

TD84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So I found this build on custom offsets. Overall this would be what I'm going for.
According to the site it's a rough country 6 inch lift with upgraded front struts with a 2.5 inch spacer on the strut. Also stated it has a 1 inch rear spacer and a 3 inch body lift.

While I have a zone lift I would like to do something like this.

Would the adjustable coilover and existing strut spacer yield the same front lift? What option would be best for that? Seems like that would be around 8 to 8.5 of lift upfront without the body lift.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230622_225621_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230622_225621_Chrome.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 18

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I found this build on custom offsets. Overall this would be what I'm going for.
According to the site it's a rough country 6 inch lift with upgraded front struts with a 2.5 inch spacer on the strut. Also stated it has a 1 inch rear spacer and a 3 inch body lift.

While I have a zone lift I would like to do something like this.

Would the adjustable coilover and existing strut spacer yield the same front lift? What option would be best for that? Seems like that would be around 8 to 8.5 of lift upfront without the body lift.
Leaving the 5” strut spacer and adding the adjustable coilover could get you max 7.5-8” lift up front. @Nick@GotExhaust can definitely help you out. You should send him a message

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Leaving the 5” strut spacer and adding the adjustable coilover could get you max 7.5-8” lift up front. @Nick@GotExhaust can definitely help you out. You should send him a message

I agree with everything said here lol . Stick with the lift setup you have and just add an adjustable strut or coil over. Your going to want to add an angle correcting UCA along with maxing out the adjustable strut/coilover as well.

OP
OP
T

TD84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Also want to upgrade my stock uca. Was leaning towards zone but have read some post that say after they switched to the zone ucs's they couldn't get aligned properly.
Any truth to this? What other brands would be a good upgrade?

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Also want to upgrade my stock uca. Was leaning towards zone but have read some post that say after they switched to the zone ucs's they couldn't get aligned properly.
Any truth to this? What other brands would be a good upgrade?

We have sold more Zone than anything else. I have only seen 1 customer complain of this and it was actually still within factory tolerances.

The other option I would recommend would be Core 4x4

mrack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Definitely go with JBA for UCAs. Great quality product and fully greasable.