USB power in overhead console?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Intense-Dakota

Landscape and Nature Photographer
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2017 RAM Rebel, and I have a dash cam that is powered via standard USB power. I am toying with the idea of adding a USB port in the overhead console so that I can mount the dash cam next to or behind the rear view mirror. This way I don't have the to route the cables everywhere and waste a USB port.

Just wondering if anyone has attempted this yet, or if anyone has the schematics for the wiring in the overhead console (with amp ratings and voltages would be awesome. Obviously, there is 12V power in there, but I need to ensure it is switched with the vehicle ignition so that the dash cam doesn't run 24/7. I also want to make sure it can handle at least 1amp additional load. (btw, I will be upgrading to LED interior lights at the same time also most likely).

Something similar to this:
usb.jpg

Here: (or on the side preferably)

overhead_pic.jpg

OP
OP
Intense-Dakota

Intense-Dakota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What about a hardwire kit? Might be a cleaner install and easier to do
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07J3LPVXC/

Thanks for the link.

I have looked at that (and may still consider it), as I have a hard-wired kit that came with the dash cam. But, I thought if I can wire up a USB port, I could remove the dash cam without having a cable still hanging. I also planned on making a custom USB power cable (<6 inches) with a right angle plug to make it more flush mounted also.

PaulTGarrett

Grumpy old man
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Thanks for the link.

I have looked at that (and may still consider it), as I have a hard-wired kit that came with the dash cam. But, I thought if I can wire up a USB port, I could remove the dash cam without having a cable still hanging. I also planned on making a custom USB power cable (<6 inches) with a right angle plug to make it more flush mounted also.

Look on eBay for 6" USB cables. They are there with right-angle connectors. I am planning on doing exactly the same thing you are proposing when I add the overhead console. I'm also going to install my accessory switches in the console at the same time.

dss56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Be careful as usb is 5 volts and not 12 volts

OP
OP
Intense-Dakota

Intense-Dakota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Be careful as usb is 5 volts and not 12 volts

Yep, I plan on using a 12v USB port with circuitry built in (once i find it lol).

I just need to find the schematics for the overhead, hopefully along with amperage ratings.

dss56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you could get to 1 of the overhead lights and tap into 1 of them Im sure you will be fine on the amp draw should be very little maybe an amp or less

OP
OP
Intense-Dakota

Intense-Dakota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Amp draw not a problem, but i havent tried to track down the fuse to see what the max amperage is.

dss56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If those 2 light are on their own fuse which I dont think so it would be a 5 amp fuse for both lights.
You could always put an inline fuse of its own a 3 amp fuse should be fine for the camera.
Use #20 gauge wire and should be good to go that camera will draw mili amps

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
View attachment 160267 I tapped into my rear slider power on overhead console for my dash cam The rear slider has switched power so goes off when truck is off. Took me maybe a hour to do it. Mainly because I was just being careful. I did buy a harness, the one with it was usb only.

IMG_20180310_170704.jpg

Firea100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi to all on the site! What brand of dash camera is the favorite for our trucks?
Thanks,
Larry in East China Mi

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
I am using a cheap $45 dash cam and has been perfect for a year now. Mines a Yi dash cam. Here's a sample of video from the $45 one. I used this hardwire kit, to tap the slider wires for power.
Screenshot_20190325_215639_com.amazon.mShop.android.shopping.jpg

Last edited: