Vararam Air Grabber!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rewindgy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you live in an area with cold and snow - you should put a Winter front on anyways! The thing flows too good and the air is too cold! Mine doesn't like the -30 C air temps - so I have the front from the eco diesel - works like a charm.

OP
OP
Italgeorge

Italgeorge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok now for all y’all that wanted to see the AMI Sing step installed...I’m finally done! Had some trouble with the mounting brackets but after I figured out how to do it, it went smooth as butter. Here it is!! Do t mind the dirty truck. It’s been raining non stop for like a week lol

15EFEE52-E91C-4B71-AEE4-A7D5A4D04704.jpeg

191C1FD9-D73A-485B-810D-1134ECC016FF.jpeg

FA5FC93B-EA94-4ADB-A07E-65409EE72E09.jpeg

EBCE915A-CBA0-485E-8CA9-475E0FAB0B57.jpeg

645400B9-9FCB-4F6C-BFBA-9453D83E2D77.jpeg

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Snow in the Vararam seems to be a spotty problem. Some people who drive in snow haven't had a problem while others do. I'm starting to think the type of grill has a lot to do with it. A honeycomb grill flows air more directly to the radiator than say a Big Horn, Laramie, or sport grill that the air coming in changes directions more.

However since this is a concern and I live in New England, I'm going to try putting some screen either right behind the grill or in the part I cut out of the radiator shield in attempt to keep the snow out of the Vararam. If I like the results I'll post some pics here.

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I REALLY wish they made one for the Pentastar's. I think a few more horsepower on the highway would make the difference in holding 8th gear more on the long hauls.
This by itself will give you no better performance .All show and noise by itself.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Snow in the Vararam seems to be a spotty problem. Some people who drive in snow haven't had a problem while others do. I'm starting to think the type of grill has a lot to do with it. A honeycomb grill flows air more directly to the radiator than say a Big Horn, Laramie, or sport grill that the air coming in changes directions more.

However since this is a concern and I live in New England, I'm going to try putting some screen either right behind the grill or in the part I cut out of the radiator shield in attempt to keep the snow out of the Vararam. If I like the results I'll post some pics here.

I had a buddy put one on his 2012 a few years back.Where I live we get what's called Chinooks,and we'll go through a drastic warm-up in a matter of a couple hours,it'll be -20F when you go to bed at 10:30 and by 4:00am the next morning it'll have warmed up to 45F,which turns the streets into a slush pit.He'd had his Vararam on for about 3 days when we got one,and the streets had about 6" of pure slush on them.He was all proud of his new vararam so he roared out to see me,when we opened his hood to look it over,the truck had picked up enough slush and snow under the hood,the air filter was totally soaked,and had actually sagged down and had big gaps between the filter and the top of the air cleaner housing,and was sucking in pure muck through the gaps,to the point he even had slush on the entrance to his throttle body and intake,consequently I drove him home,and we picked up his stock air cleaner and threw it back on,on my driveway,after that he went back to his stock air cleaner in the winter and only used the Vararam in the summer.If you do live where there's lots of snow,you might want to hang onto your stock air cleaner and re-install it during the winter months.His truck was a Sport,so it did have the closed off grill.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had a buddy put one on his 2012 a few years back.Where I live we get what's called Chinooks,and we'll go through a drastic warm-up in a matter of a couple hours,it'll be -20F when you go to bed at 10:30 and by 4:00am the next morning it'll have warmed up to 45F,which turns the streets into a slush pit.He'd had his Vararam on for about 3 days when we got one,and the streets had about 6" of pure slush on them.He was all proud of his new vararam so he roared out to see me,when we opened his hood to look it over,the truck had picked up enough slush and snow under the hood,the air filter was totally soaked,and had actually sagged down and had big gaps between the filter and the top of the air cleaner housing,and was sucking in pure muck through the gaps,to the point he even had slush on the entrance to his throttle body and intake,consequently I drove him home,and we picked up his stock air cleaner and threw it back on,on my driveway,after that he went back to his stock air cleaner in the winter and only used the Vararam in the summer.If you do live where there's lots of snow,you might want to hang onto your stock air cleaner and re-install it during the winter months.His truck was a Sport,so it did have the closed off grill.
Well. That sucks.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This by itself will give you no better performance .All show and noise by itself.

Sorry--this statement is false! It has been proven at the track and on the dyno that this mod does increase your performance. If you have documented evidence that your statement is factual, please post it.
Jay

Last edited:

LoneStarSilver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
We get a lot of rain here in Austin, and I have never had a problem with water--I guess if there is any that gets in toward the filter it would just drain out through the drain holes. Snow might not do that however.
Jay

Thanks for that information Jay. That’s the main reason I have yet to buy one. Just the thought of a soggy paper filter was enough to deter me. Another poster told me the sound is similar to when we used to turn the top over on the old metal air cleaners. Is that your experience as well?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Thanks for that information Jay. That’s the main reason I have yet to buy one. Just the thought of a soggy paper filter was enough to deter me. Another poster told me the sound is similar to when we used to turn the top over on the old metal air cleaners. Is that your experience as well?

Miss them days of hearing an old Q-jet sucking air,lol. Every 4 barrell GM in high school parking lots had the lid flipped in the 70's

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

To 2nd Jay water doesn't really seem to be an issue. The last round of heavy rain I may have taken a few of the creek bed crossings a little too fast. My hoodliner is basically brown all around the vararam outline, but the filter got no mud or any noticeable wetness every time I checked. Granted with enough water depth you might have some issues, but at that point I'd be turning around and taking the long way.