Vararam paper filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

frank1823

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
First off let me apologize if this has already been answered but I couldn't find it after searching quite a bit.
I just ordered a Vararam Air Grabber for my 2013 Ram 1500 Hemi.
So my question is, is there a paper filter available for the Vararam? Just plain air filter. Doesn't have to be a performance filter. I dislike oiled filters and I'm adding the Vararam primarily because I want to add a second battery in the stock Cummins 2nd battery location. Secondly I think it looks cool as heck in an old school way. It will definitely help with a tune once I add shorty headers in the very near future. So that's my question. Paper filter to fit the Vararam, anyone?

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I understand not liking oiled filters but the vararam filters are decent as far as I’ve seen. If it was me I would just order the prefilter for it though. That reduces the amount of cleaning you’ll need to do. Also don’t over oil and make sure after oiling you let it sit for 24hrs in a dry place so all the extra oil can drip off and the filter can dry up. I had the s&b with an oiled filter. I swapped out to a stock airbox because I added a snorkel. I don’t mind the oiled filters because they can be washed but I’ve always preferred paper as I know they filter better

OP
OP
frank1823

frank1823

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I understand not liking oiled filters but the vararam filters are decent as far as I’ve seen. If it was me I would just order the prefilter for it though. That reduces the amount of cleaning you’ll need to do. Also don’t over oil and make sure after oiling you let it sit for 24hrs in a dry place so all the extra oil can drip off and the filter can dry up. I had the s&b with an oiled filter. I swapped out to a stock airbox because I added a snorkel. I don’t mind the oiled filters because they can be washed but I’ve always preferred paper as I know they filter better
I appreciate the input brother. The process for oiling you just described is the problem I have with oiled filters. Worrying whether I oiled it too much mucking up my intake, throttle body and other stuff is not something I want on my plate. Worrying that I didn't oil it enough and I'm letting dirt into my engine is another thing I don't want. If either of these two things there isn't a way to know it happened that is immediate. You find out later when you find stuff mucked up weeks or months later, or you end up with excessive engine wear due to dirt grinding my cylinder walls. Then the other pain is the oiling process and having to wait for it to dry. I'd ideally like to just open a box and slap in a new paper filter and I'm done. No worrying if I over or under oiled. Maybe not the best performance I can get but I can live with that. If I can't find a paper filter I'll order a prefilter for sure.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Take the whole thing back, and put the stock filter box and filter back on. It is a far better setup and provides all the air needed unless you have some serious upgrades and a tune on the truck. It also filters WAY better than any oil bath filter.

OP
OP
frank1823

frank1823

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Appreciate the opinion Dean. Yes some upgrades forthcoming and others already done. The truck is tuned and will be retuned after header and exhaust install. I'm not adding the Vararam for performance. I'm adding it because I am adding a second battery to run accessories and the 2nd battery bracket mounts where the airbox currently sits. I don't like the oiled filter idea which is the reason for my original post. Surely I'm not the only one that would like to use a Vararam with a plain paper filter.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Have yopu considered putting the second battery in the box or under the rear seat? rather than in the engine compartment. The cooler operating environment makes batteries last a whole lot longer, plus, size is not limited.

OP
OP
frank1823

frank1823

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes, I initially was thinking of going that route but ultimately didn't want to lose that storage space. Those storage areas are full of tools and other equipment. I'd have to then figure out where to relocate that stuff, and my Ramboxes are full. Additionally I like the clean look of adding a factory bracket and associated hardware.
Overall the Vararam will solve my issues quite nicely if only I can do something about the oiled filter.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Yes, I initially was thinking of going that route but ultimately didn't want to lose that storage space. Those storage areas are full of tools and other equipment. I'd have to then figure out where to relocate that stuff, and my Ramboxes are full. Additionally I like the clean look of adding a factory bracket and associated hardware.
Overall the Vararam will solve my issues quite nicely if only I can do something about the oiled filter.
Filter Wear has a sale on their outer socks,that ends today,if you want to order a cover for the filter.The original Vara Rams did come with a paper filter,so you might still be able to find it,if you can track down it's part number.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat