vibration/alignemnt balance woes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rupert

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 big horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've ben chasing a vibration( mostly in my *** but everywhere) for about a year now:
New tires, new wheel to replace one that was bent.
Took the truck in to another shop for RF balance and alignment
RF balance went well, but the alignment, not so good on the RF. Seems the jam nut was loose but they could not budge the tie rod to make adjustments. They used PB ballast and a 24" pipe wrench. They did not have a torch......But I do.
So this weekend I think Ill put her on my lift and see if I can use a cheater bar etc. maybe some heat to get it loose.
My concern and Q for you all is: With the electric steering.....I wonder how much stress the rack can handle, especially where the rod goes into the unit.

I welcome any other advise on how to loosen this up without breaking something else: a new rack is 700 bucks.

If I can get it loose they will finish the alignment. The caster and camber ,ad the LF toe were all off, but are good now.
The truck rides a bit better, but the steering wheel is now indexed off 10 deg. to the left.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Rupert

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 big horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Friday night I got the tie rod nd loose. I put 22 MM wrench on the tie rod slot and wedged it against the shock mount, so I would not abuse the tie rod as I beat on the adjuster rod. I backed the jam nut out, hit it with brake free then wire brush the PJ blast. put a pipe wrench on the tie rod and a cheater pipe and got her loose. backed it out of the tie rod end about 6 turns , cleaned it, then I used the string method to set some toe in on both fronts and attempted to center the wheel. I got them both pretty close.
I got to do the DS 2x as I forgot our trucks steering does not lock

Unfortunately I believe the rear axle is off: I was his on the DS a few year ago and the axle was shifted. As I drove home from the accident the steering wheel was off about 1/4 turn. When I got the truck back the steering was centered and the truck went straight...now I wonder....
When I pulled the string tight across the rear tire on the DS the string touched both the front and the back of the rear tire before any contact was made with the front tire. When I pulled it tight on the DS the front of the rear tire was not touching the string when it touched both the front and back side of the front tire. I'm thinking the rear axle is crocked, with the PS leading the DS, causing rear steerage to the left , front to the right.
I don't feel it while driving. It actually rides better than it has in along time.
I am concerned the PS tie rod joint may be worn from all the pulling they did on the adjustment rod, I'm sure they didn't have a wrench holding the tie rod end in place.

I'm taking it in tomorrow to "finish" the alignment. I assumed by looking at the machine they had rear sensors......

OP
OP
R

Rupert

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 big horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
when I attempted to leave work yesterday, I hit the remote start. form 30 feet away I heard the door locks set, which is normal , then a snap and a pop. The truck did not start. as I approached the DS door, it was locked, and would not unlock with the fob. I heard a clicking from under the hood, on the DS. I used the key to open the door, and the dash was blank, I put the fob with key in the slot, ..nothing..so I popped the hood and tried to find the source of the clicking. I had one wrench with me...a ten MM ratcheting. disconnected the battery, waited, connected it. CLick click. I'm thinking the battery is toast, but a coworker had a multimeter and it read 12.66 volts.....I'm 90% sure the battery has plates touching when amps are drawn. went to the battery store.... got new battery and they tested the old one. 12.6 volts until load was applied. ..then POP goes the load bank breaker. installed new battery and all is well. guess what? all the presets for the radio, XM satellite etc. were still there. nice. However missed my appointment for the alignment. they squeezed me in at 430 and I asked them to check the tie rod end we took turns beating on..as I forgot to jack the truck up and do so when I was setting the toe. So after they **** around with alignment they say yeah the tie rod end is flopping around a bit. JEEEZ why bother with the alignment if the tie rod is failing.
I ordered two tie rod ends this am ( 105k on the odometer, I'm just gonna do both) and will install ( counting threads/ measure ) when they arrive and go to my neighborhood shop for alignment and hopefully no more vibration and I will love my truck again.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Rupert

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 big horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Final: My local shop sucks ,,,,,GRRR. I got back late afternoon from Ocean city Bike week Sunday and was tired so I hired them last week to install the new tie rods I bought and do the alignment. I asked them 3x for the readout. They assured me there machine was just calibrated and would print final numbers for me. I was a t work and they said it was done, they test drove it as I asked them to, to make sure the steering wheel was straight. They said the steering had a tiny bit of play in it. I paid them over the phone and reminded them to lock the key in the truck, under the driers floor mat and put the alignment specs and receipt on the seat. , as I wasn't going to be there before they closed. My wife took me to get the truck. After I opened it with my spare key, I looked all thru the truck and on the ground for 20 minutes, no KEY no paperwork. I left them a note in the key drop and went for test drive....Now the steering wheel is off 15 deg. to the right

Next day they do NOT call me, I called them, they are so sorry etc....bring it in and they wil make it right etc..
No chance. Friday night I loosened the jam nuts and turned each tie rod 1/2 turn, locked it down and a test drove it... Perfect. straight is straight.... a lot of the vibration is gone.

I was thing of getting a new truck but I think Ill hang onto this one. I have a long trip coming up I'll see how it rides.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
am3334