Volant Intake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I really feel this gets overlooked way more than it should for our trucks. After a lot of research, the Volant intake checked all the boxes I was looking for: excellent filtration, free flowing tube to the throttle body, and the ability to add a lower tube that has a scoop to grab air from below the bumper.

The main thing thats unique with the Volant over any of the other 3 cold air intakes I've tried (or any intake for that matter) is the available Donaldson Powercore G2 filter. Not only does it have a service life of 4 years/100,000 miles, but it has a very high filtration effeciency. Good air filtration is extremely important for engine longeavity and this is really the first intake I've looked at and/or ran myself that had superior filtration over the factory airbox & filter. For me thats important as I plan on keeping my truck for many years to come.

Installation: The install was pretty straightforward although the instructions could have been a little better. It has pictures but they're separate from the the written steps so I found it kind of tedious to keep flipping between the steps and the pics. GreenRaMM made a great video on youtube of the installation: I found this video extremely helpful. There are a good amount of adjustments that can be made to make it fit the engine bay perfectly. I've read about fitment issues with this intake but I didn't run into any. The whole intake felt very well made and looks very well designed.

Ease of removal: This was a big one for me. The factory intake is very easily removed to work on the engine if needed. 2 of the other intakes I had were not easily removed and changing spark plugs on a Hemi with a big intake in the way was NOT fun. The volant comes completely out of the engine bay by loosening 2 hose clamps and removing 2 bolts, leaving plenty of room to work.

Filtration: This is what sold me on the Volant. The Powercore G2 filter is simply one of the best air filters available. Its used on many semi trucks, agricultrual equipment, and industrial equipment that operate in very dusty environments. I've read people will buy other intakes and then get a G2 filter that fits from Volant. http://www.emea.donaldson.com/en/aircraft/support/datalibrary/040693.pdf

Performance: This intake is a definite improvement over the stock airbox and is just as good as any of the other 3 intakes I've tried. Definite improvement in throttle response and lower intake air temp vs the factory airbox. I have seen air intake temps around 2-3* above ambient temps with the lower scoop installed. With the stock airbox I never saw get below 5* above ambient temp so that lower scoop defintiely works. The only intake that I had that brought in this much cold air to the throttle body was the Air Grabber.

Overall I'm extremely happy with this intake, its exactly what I was looking for. It's really too bad I had overlooked it for years.

A big thanks to Nick at @Nick@GotExhaust for quickly getting me the intake and lower scoop. I've bought several things from Nick over the last few years and its always been a great experience. He also has the best prices around on Redline oil!dc37232b53a58980748fa905eba9b120.jpg1432da1ca8a66dca4bbcccbbedf06414.jpg2e22ba5f827ce617e00f4f6c8fb07398.jpg755287bba92732c6e69514cf6a62789d.jpg0f741c2d074b3e5088d3f7e60eebd61c.jpg5ddc5c21efe2d8f44451c4d474f9c033.jpg86429c87cc97d2f12cc2cc4ceedb5143.jpg]a152662c2cc636e12deec589e7b1a391.jpg43a7274d82d20ac944bb5629d171146e.jpg

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
The design of the scoop meant to be in that location or can it be mounted behind grill?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Oh that's nice Bro, good write up as well. Looking forward to hearing more overtime.

OP
OP
Hemi395

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The design of the scoop meant to be in that location or can it be mounted behind grill?
It's meant to be in that location. Some people have cut out the bottom of the air dam so that it's flush with the bottom of the air dam. To get it behind the grill would require some modification but it could be done....

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I really feel this gets overlooked way more than it should for our trucks. After a lot of research, the Volant intake checked all the boxes I was looking for: excellent filtration, free flowing tube to the throttle body, and the ability to add a lower tube that has a scoop to grab air from below the bumper.

The main thing thats unique with the Volant over any of the other 3 cold air intakes I've tried (or any intake for that matter) is the available Donaldson Powercore G2 filter. Not only does it have a service life of 4 years/100,000 miles, but it has a very high filtration effeciency. Good air filtration is extremely important for engine longeavity and this is really the first intake I've looked at and/or ran myself that had superior filtration over the factory airbox & filter. For me thats important as I plan on keeping my truck for many years to come.

Installation: The install was pretty straightforward although the instructions could have been a little better. It has pictures but they're separate from the the written steps so I found it kind of tedious to keep flipping between the steps and the pics. GreenRaMM made a great video on youtube of the installation: I found this video extremely helpful. There are a good amount of adjustments that can be made to make it fit the engine bay perfectly. I've read about fitment issues with this intake but I didn't run into any. The whole intake felt very well made and looks very well designed.

Ease of removal: This was a big one for me. The factory intake is very easily removed to work on the engine if needed. 2 of the other intakes I had were not easily removed and changing spark plugs on a Hemi with a big intake in the way was NOT fun. The volant comes completely out of the engine bay by loosening 2 hose clamps and removing 2 bolts, leaving plenty of room to work.

Filtration: This is what sold me on the Volant. The Powercore G2 filter is simply one of the best air filters available. Its used on many semi trucks, agricultrual equipment, and industrial equipment that operate in very dusty environments. I've read people will buy other intakes and then get a G2 filter that fits from Volant. http://www.emea.donaldson.com/en/aircraft/support/datalibrary/040693.pdf

Performance: This intake is a definite improvement over the stock airbox and is just as good as any of the other 3 intakes I've tried. Definite improvement in throttle response and lower intake air temp vs the factory airbox. I have seen air intake temps around 2-3* above ambient temps with the lower scoop installed. With the stock airbox I never saw get below 5* above ambient temp so that lower scoop defintiely works. The only intake that I had that brought in this much cold air to the throttle body was the Air Grabber.

Overall I'm extremely happy with this intake, its exactly what I was looking for. It's really too bad I had overlooked it for years.

A big thanks to Nick at @Nick@GotExhaust for quickly getting me the intake and lower scoop. I've bought several things from Nick over the last few years and its always been a great experience. He also has the best prices around on Redline oil!dc37232b53a58980748fa905eba9b120.jpg1432da1ca8a66dca4bbcccbbedf06414.jpg2e22ba5f827ce617e00f4f6c8fb07398.jpg755287bba92732c6e69514cf6a62789d.jpg0f741c2d074b3e5088d3f7e60eebd61c.jpg5ddc5c21efe2d8f44451c4d474f9c033.jpg86429c87cc97d2f12cc2cc4ceedb5143.jpg]a152662c2cc636e12deec589e7b1a391.jpg43a7274d82d20ac944bb5629d171146e.jpg

Any worries about sucking in rain, snow or water from standing puddles ?

OP
OP
Hemi395

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
no worries about sucking in rain, snow or water from standing puddles ?
This is a good point that I forgot to mention. If you go with the scoop, the Volant filter wrap is highly recommended. It will keep any water that makes it to the air box out of the filter. Water getting up into the intake box could be an issue with heavy rain at highway speeds. There is a drain hole in the back of the box in case this does happen. I will update if this is an issue.

As far as the scoop being submerged in water, the unit pulls air from the fender area in addition to the lower scoop. If the scoop was submerged in water it would most likely just pull air from there instead of sucking water up the tube...

Cowboy Brick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd love something like this but I take my truck off roading way too much. Mud, dirt, and water would be a major concern for me. Think I'll just stick to the stock ram box.

-----‐--------------------------------------------------
Nod for 8 when they open the gate.
--------------------------------------------------------

ScLeCo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Supercharged 426
I'd love something like this but I take my truck off roading way too much. Mud, dirt, and water would be a major concern for me. Think I'll just stick to the stock ram box.
With the Donaldson filter and the filter sock you will filter out more than with the stock set up.
I have this intake and I use the Powercore G2 and remove the scoop when I go off road and I have a regular filter for street use.

Cowboy Brick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
With the Donaldson filter and the filter sock you will filter out more than with the stock set up.
I have this intake and I use the Powercore G2 and remove the scoop when I go off road and I have a regular filter for street use.
I need a filter for both on road and offroad use. I do 60% on road and 40% off road with my truck, and removing and re adding a scoop would get tiresome for me.
I've read about K&N air filters are good, but they also don't filter as good. I honestly feel like staying stock is just the best option for me unless I get one of those air scoops that go on the outside of the a frame of the truck, but then again, I ain't taking my truck that deep, and is just a waste of my money and time installing one.

OP
OP
Hemi395

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You change that filter out when you go off road??

ScLeCo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Supercharged 426
You change that filter out when you go off road??
Yeah, it doesn't flow as well as the regular filter.
I also have a set of dedicated off road wheels and tires too.
Most of my miles are on the street but when I do go off-road it's usually for a week or two at a time so I have a whole off road only set up.

Cowboy Brick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Most of my miles are on the street but when I do go off-road it's usually for a week or two at a time so I have a whole off road only set up.
Yeah I'll just stick with the stock filter for now.
How's the whipple doing?
After I do everything I want to my truck I'm thinking about adding a whipple myself.

Cowboy Brick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can I use this with the stock box or is it open like that K&N air filter?

ScLeCo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Supercharged 426
Can I use this with the stock box or is it open like that K&N air filter?

You have to use the Volant box.

I love the Whipple.
The only thing is I can never own a truck with less than 600hp now.

Cowboy Brick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You have to use the Volant box.

I love the Whipple.
The only thing is I can never own a truck with less than 600hp now.
Did you have to upgrade anything after adding the whipple?
My engine and transmission is stock, other than rebuilding the transmission. It's a 6speed.

ScLeCo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Supercharged 426
Did you have to upgrade anything after adding the whipple?
My engine and transmission is stock, other than rebuilding the transmission. It's a 6speed.
You don't have to upgrade anything. You won't be anywhere near 600hp though, more like 500.
I also don't know anything about the 6 speed transmissions.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah I'll just stick with the stock filter for now.
How's the whipple doing?
After I do everything I want to my truck I'm thinking about adding a whipple myself.

The Airaid Jr is probably a good mod for you then. It uses the stock air box with a better panel filter and replaces the intake tube from the air box to the throttle body. This will give you a little better throttle response and hp. If interested in a quote, message me.

OP
OP
Hemi395

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So you have the oiled filter for off road?

Yeah I like how easy the scoop comes off, I'm thinking in deep snow I might take mine off...

OP
OP
Hemi395

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The Airaid Jr is probably a good mod for you then. It uses the stock air box with a better panel filter and replaces the intake tube from the air box to the throttle body. This will give you a little better throttle response and hp. If interested in a quote, message me.
I second this, I ran one for awhile and it does make a difference over the stock corrugated tube and paper filter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990