Air flow question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raminit2014

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Hey everyone, I’ve got a 2014 ram sport with the mopar CAI and just installed the hood scoop air intake kit, does anyone think/know if at highway speeds the air coming through the hood scoop would be more pressurized than the air coming through the fender well? I’m pondering either closing off the fender well air or making some kind of spring door that closes it off once the scoop is bringing in more air

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The engine is always trying to pull a vacuum so the only way that the old intake would cause any issues is if your hood scoop is supplying SO MUCH AIR that the engine is only using a fraction of it and the pressure build up is sending it back out the old intake. Others may jump in here to tell me I'm wrong, but I would leave it in place. If anything I would think it would be a benefit on the low end when you don't have that ram air effect.

OP
OP
R

Raminit2014

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Agreed with the nice to have abundant air at low end, that’s why I’m thinking a spring door on the fender air duct, but that only makes sense if it is indeed getting pushed back through there, thanks for the feedback

OP
OP
R

Raminit2014

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
think more plumbing in existing hood scoop, but thanks for the wind tunnel comment, gonna tack a ribbon in the fender duct and toss a camera in to see what it does

OP
OP
R

Raminit2014

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Finally got around to testing the airflow, while cruising with or against the wind on the highway it was definitely blowing air back out through the fender while maintaining speed/mild acceleration, amazed at the amount of air it gobbled up while at full throttle, after I finish the carbon fiber air intake tube I’ll throw a spring door on the fender inlet and do some more testing, appreciate all the feedback

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat