Voltage dip with ac on?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BuschLatte420

chill water by day, drink beer by night
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 classic tradesmen crew cab 6’4 box
Engine
5.7L NON E-TORQUE 3.92 gears 4x4
Just started to get warm yet again in NY here, finally using the ac in the new ram. Noticed it seems like the voltage dips and goes back up with the ac on guessing when the compressor cycles, anyone else notice this? Never had that on any other vehicle I have owned or drove. Can’t imagine anything is wrong being 6 months old at 2400 miles, Thanks!

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Noticed it seems like the voltage dips and goes back up with the ac on guessing when the compressor cycles
Need to use a meter to verify a voltage drop is actually occuring. Also check the static voltage of the battery after it has sat overnight. It could be a sign of a weak battery. It could just be due to the warmer weather as the commanded charge voltage usually goes lowers. Check the battery terminals that they're clean an tight also

OP
OP
BuschLatte420

BuschLatte420

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Need to use a meter to verify a voltage drop is actually occuring. Also check the static voltage of the battery after it has sat overnight. It could be a sign of a weak battery. It could just be due to the warmer weather as the commanded charge voltage usually goes lowers. Check the battery terminals that they're clean an tight also
I will take the time and run the ac with the meter on the battery, and check that as well, only is a second drop or so I was noticing on the dummy gauge. I would hope a new battery would last more than 6 months! But this is the new America! Everything is clean and tight, take very good care of this truck.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I will take the time and run the ac with the meter on the battery, and check that as well, only is a second drop or so I was noticing on the dummy gauge. I would hope a new battery would last more than 6 months!
If the voltage fluctuating is only a split second or so it's probably nothing to be concerned with if the voltage is staying up in the 13V range.
As for the age of your battery, look at the production date of the truck on the driver's door jam sticker. If you've already owned the truck for 6 months, it's a good possibility the battery is already pushing a year old already depending on how long it sat between production and waiting to ship out.

OP
OP
BuschLatte420

BuschLatte420

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If the voltage fluctuating is only a split second or so it's probably nothing to be concerned with if the voltage is staying up in the 13V range.
As for the age of your battery, look at the production date of the truck on the driver's door jam sticker. If you've already owned the truck for 6 months, it's a good possibility the battery is already pushing a year old already depending on how long it sat between production and waiting to ship out.
Or sat on a shelf in the factory, ordered beginning of September was built and shipped mid October got it November 2nd. Yes it’s a quick fluctuate moment, voltage doesn’t stay down.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
The newer trucks have much more sensitive gauges. You should be able to see the actual voltage on the EVIC screen. The compressor kicking in is going to pull voltage and your regulator will up the charge from the alternator to offset. That is the blip you are seeing. Perfectly normal, you should see it on other high draw accessories too.

OP
OP
BuschLatte420

BuschLatte420

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The newer trucks have much more sensitive gauges. You should be able to see the actual voltage on the EVIC screen. The compressor kicking in is going to pull voltage and your regulator will up the charge from the alternator to offset. That is the blip you are seeing. Perfectly normal, you should see it on other high draw accessories too.
I will check that out, I do have the more fancy cluster so it should be on there

OP
OP
BuschLatte420

BuschLatte420

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If a mod can move this to the 4th gen section that would be great, apparently I made a rookie mistake after 6 + months of being here, I have a 2022 classic LOL! And no digital voltage gauge :(