Issues with AC clutch on new system?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aztsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2005 Ram SLT 2wd reg cab w/5.7

Had AC replaced over winter including dryer, compressor, and office line. I’m having issues when the clutch engages/disengages it makes a clacking noise, I can visibly see a jolt in one of the lines going from the compressor to the dryer, and it fluctuates my RPM. Took it back to where the work was done and they determined it wasn’t the AC but my belt tensioner. Well I had already replaced the tensioner and pulleys along with the belt just months before, and I replaced it again when I heard the noise thinking the same thing. So this time I purchased a mopar tensioner and new belt from mopar. The noise and symptoms continue. I really don’t think I’ve had the misfortune of 3 bad new belt tensioners and they verified the other pulleys were OK. Could my assumption over the AC compressor or clutch having an issue be correct? The dryer also made the noise that it typically makes after shutting off your truck after running AC, but it happened while running the truck with the AC on which I’ve never heard it so before. Opinions appreciated. None of the issues are present when the AC off. No issues idling or noises.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
It's typical to hear the AC clutch engage and drop out, it could get more pronounced if the system is under load(as it gets hotter out).
If the refrigerant going through the system is making excessive noise, I'd suspect there a problem with the amount of refrigerant or a system restriction.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Similar issue with a jeep 2 belt tensioners later the system was overcharged find someone with a set of guages and check it.