Want to beef up suspension on 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
So I bought a toy hauler: IMG_20140705_192319_506.jpg it weighs 7000 dry. So I figure about 2000 more with toys and fluids,etc. I had a weight distribution hitch with sway bar installed and was talking to the guy doing the install. he said the weight is not a problem but the weight on the suspension is a little more than he would like to see. He said its the suspension u need to watch. He said if I add some air bags it would help a lot and I should be fine. I was told there are other options also. Looking for suggestions.i really don't want to put air in bags every time I tow. Is that how they work or can you leave air in them. Here is one that I saw :
2014 Dodge Ram Pickup Suspension Enhancement | etrailer.com

I don't care about money if it will save wear and tear on the truck. I would like to keep it for 10 years. I will only use the thauler a few times a year and don't pull anything else right now. I wanted comfort and luxury over a 2500 :)

Last edited:

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i don't have them(yet) but a lot of people seem to use airbags. i believe they are 1 time install and you just fill them with air when needed

cableguy_hd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 2500 CTD
Engine
6.7 Cummings
I have the timbrens AND air bags. I bought the timbrens first. Then bought the bags. Had I got bags first I would have saved the 200$ on the timbrens. The bags go in your coils. You run a line out so you can add air. Inflate when in use, deflate when not. Keep at least 5 psi. You wont know they are in there at that pressure. Airlift 1000. They are about 90$. I found an Advanced Auto coupon on line and saved a little. More will chime in today on how they like the bags

OP
OP
C

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I took it for 100 mile ride the other day(empty) and you can tell its back there but the truck will pull it. The worst thing was a little dolphin motion over some bad roads which I heard the bags would take care of. The wd hitch makes everything good. I was actually surprised to see the mileage was 11-12mpg doing 60-65 for a good hour and a half. The trans. temp. never went over 178 on my 8 speed. Kept it in tow mode. Brakes were set to 8.5. I have almost 5000 miles on it. We are going to ohio next week from ny so I would like to get it done before then but if I don't Ill manage. What is involved in installing the bags. I don't know anything about suspensions except that they sag if you put too much weight on it :) Thanks

RamRodRic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
are you sure the wdh is setup properly? it usually takes a couple adjustments to get it right. are the spring bars rated for your tongue weight as loaded for a trip+any weight that is loaded in the bed of the truck behind the axle. your truck/trailer combination should be sitting pretty close to level, on a level road. a little nose down attitude on the trailer is acceptable IF it helps with reducing sway. it should rarely, if ever, be nose up though.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
You may be underestimating the weight of that trailer once loaded up- I might be wrong though. That aside, check the sizing on the bars installed? At 13% tongue weight of 9000lbs- 1170lbs on the tongue, just for figures. Are the bars at least 1200lbs bars? Personally- I'd err on the side of caution and use larger than 1200lbs since loading habits and circumstances change and directly affect tongue weights.
That is a pile of weight on the receiver- so airbags or replacement coils are in order, and definitely look into some shocks to help a bit with the porpoising. Like mentioned above- level or a tad nose down, not nose high. With a trailer that size, I would really be babysitting my axle weights- keep it under control. I know the TH usually have a really heavy dry tongue weight with a rear garage, but typically they average out to 13% or so loaded I believe.

So, my route would be: bags or coils, shocks, tires and make sure you have the correct size bars- sway control is a bonus too. I used the TTC1223 replacement coils- hindsight I would have used the TTC1223v which are a bit lighter, and guys rave about the bags- don't think you'd go wrong with either. I chose the coils because there is really nothing that could go wrong with them- leaking etc.

Last edited:

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Coils / Solid replacements > Bags IMO.
I wouldn't want to be out in the middle of no where, crack a bag and be up sh*ts creek.

That or get coil spring REPLACEMENT air bags, so you're full rear air ride.
That'd be a trick solution too.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Assuming your WD bars are at least 1,200lb, I would secod the vote for heavier rear coils instead of airbags. I love my bags but will soon have the 1223 coils as well, so I don't have to rely on the bags; they can leak and leave you riding on bumpstops; NOT comrfotable.

Tires are another considertion; upgrade to LT tires ASAP for load and sway control.

swanny297

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I love my bags but will soon have the 1223 coils as well, so I don't have to rely on the bags; they can leak and leave you riding on bumpstops; NOT comrfotable.

I will be the naysayer - if you are riding on bump stops, without bags or with faulty bags you are way over your pay load capacity. The payload on a 1500 maxes out around 1500lbs depending on actual scale weights - bags and WD hitches don't change that - if your tongue weight is 1200 lbs that leaves you 2-300 lbs left for occupants/cargo in the truck.

BoldAdventure

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I will be the naysayer - if you are riding on bump stops, without bags or with faulty bags you are way over your pay load capacity. The payload on a 1500 maxes out around 1500lbs depending on actual scale weights - bags and WD hitches don't change that - if your tongue weight is 1200 lbs that leaves you 2-300 lbs left for occupants/cargo in the truck.

1680 actually was the best on the 2014's I saw, but maybe you can get more with less. The more options you have, the less payload you end up with. Got a Big Horn with Crew Cab, 4WD, Rambox, leather, sunroof and 5.5 bed? Look at your door sticker and be disappointed. :bawl:

swanny297

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Full tank of gas and my butt in the truck - 2014 black express CC - 4wd - 33g fuel tank - steer axle=front, drive axle=rear . ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405031385.687780.jpg

MiRamDriver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For the amount you tow and the fact that ride comfort is important to you, I'd get bags. Mine made a world of difference on my truck towing 12K+ over 1,000 miles. Like others have said, I'd opt for 1,500lb bars for longevity purposes as tongue weight can easily change and you could be at 15%.

swanny297

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
At 15% you have exceeded your payload capacity unless your cargo and occupants weigh less than 150lbs - again your truck will do it - keep in mind during an at fault accident while towing they have the right to weigh you - if you have exceeded limits your insurer can legally decline any claims including lawsuits

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
At 15% you have exceeded your payload capacity unless your cargo and occupants weigh less than 150lbs - again your truck will do it - keep in mind during an at fault accident while towing they have the right to weigh you - if you have exceeded limits your insurer can legally decline any claims including lawsuits

I'd be more concerned about the receiver rating than payload but this is a bit off of the original topic.

Back to suspension...

Last edited:

swanny297

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Class V with WD can handle 1800lbs TW - coils and airbags will eliminate your sag.

ETA - most have a class iv which is 10,000lbs GTW and 1000lbs of tongue weight.

WulfGang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If money is no option and you were wanting to go with Airbags they have systems that are completely automated. You set the PSI at what you want and the system maintains that.

The step down from that would be gauges that YOU monitor and then flip a button to keep them at the psi you want.

Don't stress over having to air/deflate them. It isn't very time consuming considering if you have to make ready everything to tow out anyways.

The better systems come with an air compressor you mount on/in the truck.
So you don't even have to mess with shrader valves to inflate/deflate.

FWIW, I use an '06 to tow a TT that is 6,900# dry. I figure with everything loaded it's closer to 8K # + 2 toddlers, 2 teens and me & my wife. Oh, and a teacup Yorkie.

OP
OP
C

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Ok. thanks the bars r 800-1200 so ill see about getting some beefier ones. I will take some pics later today and show u guys. I never measured the sag. I think I'm just gonna go with the airlift 1000 since I will only use it a few times a year.

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok. thanks the bars r 800-1200 so ill see about getting some beefier ones. I will take some pics later today and show u guys. I never measured the sag. I think I'm just gonna go with the airlift 1000 since I will only use it a few times a year.

if you're not going to use them often it might be a good idea to remove them when not in use or at least in the off season. i'm not sure how well they hold up but i'm assuming they are made out of rubber which will take a beating if you see cold winters

ScottH

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
Guys I had 1000's on one of my previous trucks. They hold air pretty well, meaning you won't necessarily need to put air in them every time, but keep in mind they may lose some PSI over time and should be checked before going out towing. Also i found keeping 10 PSI in them even while not hauling or towing is best as they keep their shape prevents the coils from pinching or ripping the bags. I had them for the life of the truck and never had any problems with them, so I personally would not go through the effort of removing them in the 'off season'. They do not make the ride stiffer, just more controlled so any worries about stiff ride don't worry about.

Also there is a company called Total Load Control that makes an air bag system for the 1500 as well. Unlike the airlifts, these get mounted outside the coil on the axle (they do not replace the coil, they remain). They are larger bladder bags and substantially stronger. As you would expect, they cost more though.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend.

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Guys I had 1000's on one of my previous trucks. They hold air pretty well, meaning you won't necessarily need to put air in them every time, but keep in mind they may lose some PSI over time and should be checked before going out towing. Also i found keeping 10 PSI in them even while not hauling or towing is best as they keep their shape prevents the coils from pinching or ripping the bags. I had them for the life of the truck and never had any problems with them, so I personally would not go through the effort of removing them in the 'off season'. They do not make the ride stiffer, just more controlled so any worries about stiff ride don't worry about.

do you live anywhere that sees real winters? i'm really curious about how well they'd hold up long term but honestly i see what winter can do to tires or really any rubber after a few years so i don't have much faith

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357