Warranty issues you'd think

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JWH2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I own a 2018 2500 with the 6.4..this is my 5th Ram starting with mid 90's and this latest truck has had two major issues. At 37,000 miles my oil pan for the most part rotted away. Not covered under warranty because I live in NY. And now with 45,000 miles I'm having to replace the ABS system, also not covered under warranty. Apparently there's been numerous complaints on both of these items but FCA has failed to recall either or offer any middle ground. This truck had undercoating, fabric protection etc...at the dealer before it was picked up.. To top it off, last year spent a few thousand to repair both rear quarter inner fender lips as they had rotted away, and yes, was told this also was not covered because i live in NY. It's a shame, this truck is my baby and I care for it as such but maybe its time to let go of my mopar or no car philosophy...

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I'm from the south so we don't have to worry about rust... but I follow a South Main Auto Channel on Youtube and he talks about undercoating yearly to prevent rust. I've seen some of the stuff he works on (of all flavors) where rust has eaten it away in a matter of a couple of years. I think he mentioned within 5-7 years some vehicles just being too far gone to save.

I'm not sure how you maintain the undercoating, keep the cracks crevices clean, etc... since I don't live in the north... but if that were true I'd say your truck is already 5 years old so maybe it's just a time thing?

OP
OP
J

JWH2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Truck will be 5 yrs old in 2 months. Rust started at 2 yrs. Unfortunately I'm obsessive compulsive including my 50+ thousand truck...rubberized undercoating touched up every year and always pressure washed to get all the road crap off, even in winter..and since the rust was not completely through the metal the dealership refused to fix. Then at 3 yrs when it did, I was denied because of being in NY. Super frustrated with MOPAR.

OP
OP
J

JWH2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Per the dealer and FCA, warranty does not cover a rotting oil pan because I live in NY. This issue is also a well known problem to them and it's because of how they are made, double walled and rotting from inside out. My personal mechanic has replaced several of these on later model Rams. My previous Rams never had these issues at such low mileage or otherwise. I went aftermarket for the pan. It amazes me still the restrictions placed because of where you reside and with no recourse.

JURO

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Sport.
Engine
1500 5.0 liter.
Per the dealer and FCA, warranty does not cover a rotting oil pan because I live in NY. This issue is also a well known problem to them and it's because of how they are made, d. My personal mechanic has replaced several of these on later model Rams. My previous Rams never had these issues at such low mileage or otherouble walled and rotting from inside outwise. I went aftermarket for the pan. It amazes me still the restrictions placed because of where you reside and with no recourse.
makes no sense, rotting from inside out? how is that possible?

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Sometimes rubberized undercoating makes rust worse when salt water gets under it. All looks fine from the surface but underneath the coating the salt water just eats the metal. Touch-ups just cover where it looks bad or peeled off and allowed moisture to enter. I would not pressure wash the undercarriage of a rust protected vehicle. The high pressure water stream can actually force water / salt into / under the coating. A gentle soapy rinse to wash away the salt residue would probably be better. Don't get the undercarriage wash at a car wash up north. They just recycle the salty water. The oil based undercoatings seem to do better as they "self-heal" minor scratches and nicks. Protecting any vehicle from salt spray and pressure washing forcing the salty stuff into cracks, crevices and chips is difficult at best.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JWH2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You're right on the undercoating. That's how my inner fender lips rotted away even though I thoroughly hose out behind the well plastics. I was also told that the metal pans separate at the seams and water works its way in...As for the ABS module. They are on back order for months and nobody knows when they'll be available....hmmm, must be an issue I guess. I won't even go into the heated conversations I've had about all these issues to purchase dealer, the current dealer and FCA..nobody can give a good enough reason for any of it...it's just a shame how customer service has gone by the wayside.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
The cause of the rust being salt and/or chemicals used on the road surfaces is why it's not covered. Not because you live in NY. Just mentioning it so people are not confused & think warranty denial is based on region.

Screenshot_20230815_184218_Ram.jpg

I looked it up because RAM does offer a body corrosion or paint warranty but it has to be caused by corrosion forming under the paint from things like poor prep or defective material. JEEP Wrangler owners are familiar with this issue around the doors and hinges and some blame the dissimilar metals of the door skin and bolt on hinges, so it has been covered by warranty even though my state also uses calcium chloride.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A lot of parts rust from the inside out, especially body panels. What happens is that the inside of the body panels (cavity between the inner and outer rocker panels, bedsides, etc...) are not completely sealed. Water and salt get sprayed inside the areas and sits there. Not exposed to the sun or wind so doesn't dry out as quick as the same stuff on the outside of the body, plus you can't see it or easily wash it off so sits in there for a long period of time. The insides of these panels are also never coated or protected as good as the outside paint that you can see.
Not as severe as NY or the northeast US but I live in what is considered the "salt belt". On my last truck I was pretty meticulous on cleaning off the underbody when it got salty. However it still died mainly because of rust. For example on the rockers they looked pretty good from the outside with shiny paint. But noticed a few bubbles and after investigating it there were big holes just covered up by the exterior paint, which is where the rust started on the inside the body.
When rustproofing a vehicle you will spend most of the time getting the material inside the body panels to prevent this. I probably spent 3 hours on my new truck spraying inside the rockers, cab corners, bedsides, etc... and maybe 30 minutes spraying the parts you can easily see like inside the fenderwells, outer frame, etc....
I don't like the rubberized undercoating as water and salt can creep in behind it. Always recommend one of the oil or wax based materials like Fluidfilm, Woolwax, etc....

theskier74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
New Hampshire here. Beginning of this past winter, truck was clean from rust, mostly. Drove it once during a horrible salt day (first big storm of the year) and then it sat all winter because of mechanical issues. I normally wash my truck once a week come winter but it was for 3 months and the rust started to spread. I'll never live that down.

mullet6577

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A lot of parts rust from the inside out, especially body panels. What happens is that the inside of the body panels (cavity between the inner and outer rocker panels, bedsides, etc...) are not completely sealed. Water and salt get sprayed inside the areas and sits there. Not exposed to the sun or wind so doesn't dry out as quick as the same stuff on the outside of the body, plus you can't see it or easily wash it off so sits in there for a long period of time. The insides of these panels are also never coated or protected as good as the outside paint that you can see.
Not as severe as NY or the northeast US but I live in what is considered the "salt belt". On my last truck I was pretty meticulous on cleaning off the underbody when it got salty. However it still died mainly because of rust. For example on the rockers they looked pretty good from the outside with shiny paint. But noticed a few bubbles and after investigating it there were big holes just covered up by the exterior paint, which is where the rust started on the inside the body.
When rustproofing a vehicle you will spend most of the time getting the material inside the body panels to prevent this. I probably spent 3 hours on my new truck spraying inside the rockers, cab corners, bedsides, etc... and maybe 30 minutes spraying the parts you can easily see like inside the fenderwells, outer frame, etc....
I don't like the rubberized undercoating as water and salt can creep in behind it. Always recommend one of the oil or wax based materials like Fluidfilm, Woolwax, etc....
I'm pretty sure the "rotting from the inside out" comment was made in regards to the oil pan, not body panels. If water and salt got in to eat the oil pan from the inside out, there were some other issues.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Rubberized undercoat is known to trap salts beneath it and worsen corrosion rather than prevent it.

Oil or wax coating is the way to go.

The dealer screwed you on the date of sale with that krap.

Reputable aftermarket undercoating companies offer a corrosion warranty. Obviously the dealer isn’t standing behind their work.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Isn’t modern undercoating material environmentally friendly these days? As a 60 year old I remember the late 70’s and early 80’s where my parents had 5-10 year old vehicles that weren’t rust buckets. I grew up in Pennsylvania where roads were salted. My dad always got the undercoating and I appeared to work a lot better than the stuff used today.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Nowadays the issue more so is what they spray on the salt before spreading, such as calcium chloride, magnesium chloride, or sodium chloride. They accelerate & enhance the salt properties, including eating our vehicles!

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Nowadays the issue more so is what they spray on the salt before spreading, such as calcium chloride, magnesium chloride, or sodium chloride. They accelerate & enhance the salt properties, including eating our vehicles!
100% agree.

Earlier this week I had the misfortune to drive a dirt road with magnesium chloride freshly applied. It’s like salt jelly, and sticks in a thick coating to everything it touches. Plus mag cl is hydrophilic, it attracts moisture from the air. Nasty!

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
I feel for the OP on his dilemma. I cannot imagine the real frustration and disappointment.

Yes, the dealership black rubberized/asphalt undercoating can potentially cause real issues with rust.

Heck, look at a virtually new GMC/Chevy truck and you'll see rust everywhere underneath as their coating is horrid to say the least.

When I bought my Ram new in 19' I opted for the factory rubberized/asphalt undercoating because I really appreciate that everything stays nice and black under there and it also adds a much nicer overall look.

The caveat to this though is that I have, call it, a Brother who's been a Krown Rust Control spray tech for 30+ years, and he's see it all in spades.

He told me straight up that if I opt for the factory spray that I must spray the entire underside, in every crease, nook and cranny every year to ensure that factory coating stays supple and greasy, if you will. Then every second year after the first complete spray go back in late summer to early fall and just have the entire underbody soaked again. This is the only way to ensure that dealer applied product doesn't dry out/flake off, and/or keep moisture trapped in/under it and rot things from the inside out.

He even goes so far as to remove and toss out any factory frame plugs on any vehicle (asks the client first, of course) so as to ensure that he applies the Krown product inside the frame/sub-frame rails to ensure everything is thoroughly coated. Leaving in the rubber frame plugs only keeps moisture inside critical areas and doesn't allow it to breathe and drain.

There isn't a spot of rust anywhere on or in my truck and mine is a daily and sees a lot of mileage every year. I've been a huge proponent of preventative and predictive maintenance all my life, and I've always annually sprayed with Krown, too.

With the crap that is dumped onto our roads nowadays in the winter that's sprayed on the salt and/or that liquid brine crap, too. It's no wonder that ours and many vehicle succumbs to these harsh conditions.

FWIW - annual rust control spray (with a secondary underbody spray every other year) is the cheapest insurance in town to ensure your ride stays rust free.

Heck, I even Krown spray the fuses and all connectors, ECM, alternator, etc., under my hood, too. No rust and no corrosion anywhere.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm pretty sure the "rotting from the inside out" comment was made in regards to the oil pan, not body panels. If water and salt got in to eat the oil pan from the inside out, there were some other issues.
In this case, yes. Obviously oil pans, differential covers, etc... should not rust from the inside out (I personally had a diff cover rust out and start leaking). But for the body and a lot of other non-sealed cavities it is common to rust from the inside out.

Jim Bowker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I own a 2018 2500 with the 6.4..this is my 5th Ram starting with mid 90's and this latest truck has had two major issues. At 37,000 miles my oil pan for the most part rotted away. Not covered under warranty because I live in NY. And now with 45,000 miles I'm having to replace the ABS system, also not covered under warranty. Apparently there's been numerous complaints on both of these items but FCA has failed to recall either or offer any middle ground. This truck had undercoating, fabric protection etc...at the dealer before it was picked up.. To top it off, last year spent a few thousand to repair both rear quarter inner fender lips as they had rotted away, and yes, was told this also was not covered because i live in NY. It's a shame, this truck is my baby and I care for it as such but maybe its time to let go of my mopar or no car philosophy...
I too live in an area with salted roads in the winter, and spend $15 at the car wash a few times during the winter to wash all the salt off the underbody. This seems to make a difference, as mine's a year older with more miles and no serious rust.

I didn't bother with any sort of coating. They seem like a mixed blessing that may help or may hurt.

Last edited:

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The oil pans are constructed of laminated sheet steel. Moisture can get in between the laminations.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 96748 miles.