Water pumps ???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

norsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Looks like my water pump is leaking :( Is that a big job ?? I've replaced several water pumps in my life just never on a hemi .Any tricks to make this go easy ??

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's just a textbook waterpump change. Make sure you use HOAT coolant...no green stuff. Might as well replace your belt while you have it off.

ralaubach

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram QC
Engine
hemi 5.7
Forgive me if this is ignorant, but why not the green stuff?

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Forgive me if this is ignorant, but why not the green stuff?

The cooling systems on our trucks is designed to use HOAT...HOAT is Hybrid Organic Acid Technology...the ONLY way to properly use the conventional coolant is to COMPLETELY flush out the entire cooling system. If you don't do so, the acids in the HOAT will react with the acids in the conventional, causing problems...

ralaubach

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram QC
Engine
hemi 5.7
Well looks like i screwed that up. how long does it take to screw stuff up?

OP
OP
norsman

norsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Water pump installed,no problems.Now I hear my alt making noise :(

reefguy89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
so then i can flush the cooling system and then just run the stuff i find at the parts store.

05singlecabHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Been thinking about putting in a new water pump in my truck. It isnt bad yet, i just wanna change it out befor it goes bad lol.

I had a 2001 sebring with the 2.7L engine in it. The water pump went bad on it, and it was probably the hardest job to replace it. They put it in the damn engine... And as i was selling the car i did some research and apparently when the water pump goes bad it usually means the timing belt was hitting it. Which usually causes the motor to just go bad. Luckily that didnt happen to us...

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
so then i can flush the cooling system and then just run the stuff i find at the parts store.

Yes, but the entire cooling system needs to be flushed...you must get all the HOAT coolant out, or risk it interacting with the green stuff and sludging up. Valvoline makes a HOAT coolant in their Zerex brand called G-05...NAPA stocks it.

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Been thinking about putting in a new water pump in my truck. It isnt bad yet, i just wanna change it out befor it goes bad lol.

I had a 2001 sebring with the 2.7L engine in it. The water pump went bad on it, and it was probably the hardest job to replace it. They put it in the damn engine... And as i was selling the car i did some research and apparently when the water pump goes bad it usually means the timing belt was hitting it. Which usually causes the motor to just go bad. Luckily that didnt happen to us...

It's the same way with the wife's PT Cruiser...I dread the day it goes out.

mikes04hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I need to flush mine out as well so this is great information! Thanks!

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
100k on the 05 with no issues knock on wood for the pump

Deviate

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 4x2
Engine
On the other end of the spectrum I'm at 95k miles and on my 4th water pump. First one went out at about 60k miles - bearings crapped out. Second one went out at about 80k miles - was really just leaking so I replaced it. Third one went out at 80k and 20 miles. LOL. It was a reman'd pump and it grenaded the day after I replaced it. Lesson learned...buy new water pumps!!