Waxing is a pain

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

doc3kgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a black 2013 1500 sport. I have noticed that I have greasy streaks (like the shine you see when oil spills on pavement in a parking lot) that are an absolute ******* to get off. I can literally buff and buff with clean bonnets / towels and they are still there. I use high pressure wash and hand wash with car soap. I towel dry right away to keep water spots off. I then apply a thin coat of Meguiars carannuba liquid black wax (stuff made for black cars). I use an orbital buffer to get the bulk of the wax off, and then hand buff with a clean microfiber towel. It looks amazing in the shade, but if the sun hits it, it is a damn train wreck. Any ideas? I am very meticulous and literally spend 8 hours from start to finish with this process. It is frustrating to say the least. Any help will be appreciated.

HemiPower36

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 3.92 8-speed
Engine
hemi 5.7
^ siiiiick

RamWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That is a nice shiny black i like. Looks like im gonna have to open the wallet again. While were in the topic of wax n such. Anyone know of a good product for light scratches? My truck lost a battle with a bush trail. It was so tight it pushed my mirrors in lol

Revo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
That is a nice shiny black i like. Looks like im gonna have to open the wallet again. While were in the topic of wax n such. Anyone know of a good product for light scratches? My truck lost a battle with a bush trail. It was so tight it pushed my mirrors in lol
Start off with a polish (use a dual action polisher if you have access to one), then move up to a rubbing compound. Least aggressive method first. :)

Always clay the surface before doing anything though.

For OP:
Rotary polishers are notorious for leaving swirls/marring in the paint, are you sure that's not what's causing it? Can you post some pics?

Last edited:

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I have had that grease/oil smear from the wax itself on my black truck. I will only buy that color once. Not sure if it's specific to certain waxes or what. Megs NXT paste did not have that issue but it's not made any more, just the liquid.

Megs Scratch X 2.0 is great, by hand or machine.

zicemanz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Klasse All In One..... terrific product.....made in Germany,,,,,read some reviews you'll be impressed.

dtexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I like to do a nice coat of quality wax every few months and then use a spray wax while drying my truck after a wash. Helps extend your wax and give it that just waxed look and feel.

GreenGoblin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
uploadfromtaptalk1441066826630.jpguploadfromtaptalk1441066851224.jpguploadfromtaptalk1441066878970.jpg
I used turtle wax black box kit and got this

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like you're describing holograms. I got rid of mine by washing, then clay barring, then using a dual action (DA) polisher with Meguiars 205 (might need to use 105 1st if your paint is bad enough) and then hand wax with Collinite 845. I also have a black RAM.

mhb1638

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Waxing a full size truck is always a damn pain, especially if its 4 door. Why I refuse to do the multi step ****...the clean, prep, fart, reprep, polish, fart, wax, seal. Eff that. I don't mine claying and waxing but thats it.

As for black, I've had good results with Gold Class, and NXT. NXT will last longer though but can leave some buff swirls in the paint which require heavy buffing to remove...Gold Class seems easier.

Never been a fan of Turtle Wax either.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Everyone does things differently. All you have to satisfy is one person--YOURSELF. It all depends on your level of satisfaction.
Jay

5hole

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I tried griots all in one polish and wax and that stuff took the swirl out of my paint easily. Quality microfiber is a must.