WDH: Do I need new spring bars or ???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gorgerax

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey, all! I have a rather small TT (single axle...maybe max 4500# wet weight, maybe max 660# TW (haven't hit the scales yet) w/WDH towed behind a 2010 Ram 1500 5.7 (3.92) The dealer set me up (poorly, I might add!) with a Curt 17500 rated at 10,000# and 800-1000# TW !!

Etrailer's advice is to buy a whole new WDH with the proper TW rating! (I plan on purchasing a heavier trailer in 2 years) but I'm wondering:

1. How much of an issue is this? What sorts of issues will it cause to have too stiff spring bars?
2. How to minimize any potential issues?
3. Can I just buy "softer" bars?

BTW...while removing the nylock nuts, one seized up and rounded. I'm going to cut it off. What specs would these nuts and bolts need to be, aftermarket? 1-1/8" dia. The torque spec is 200 ft. lbs.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
I don' think your too far off really. I'd run what you have and see how things go. For your hardware I believe you'd need grade 8 hardware. You can find it online. If the nut your referencing is the large through bolts that connect the hitch head to the drop shank, next time hold the nut end steady and turn the bolt. Your less likely to strip or damage threads that way. Good luck

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
I'd keep what you have. You can adjust ball angle to increase/decrease bar tension. I always felt it's better to have heavier bars than needed and adjust down.

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ED
Haven't worked with Curt but you should be able to just buy the lighter weight rating bars. Should not be expensive. Call them and ask. Surprised etrailer didn't offer that. Your trailer should not be much of an issue for your truck unless you try to tow in high wind or at high speed.

OP
OP
Gorgerax

Gorgerax

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
FWIW, Etrailer finally did say there were no softer bars I could swap out but I have a call into Curt.

The bolts are Grade 5, according to the markings on the bolt head.

I re-adjusted the WDH to where the before and after measurements at the TV front bumper and TT couple height are exactly the same. However, the rear bumper height is down 1" after WDH is engaged. (see pic) The WDH head is in position #3 (out of 5) so I figure I *could* add more tension to the bars (position 4?) and raise the back, but I'm afraid that might be TOO stiff (bouncy ride) and could also increase the steering weight. I figure it's close enough so will be heading to the scales, armed with VernDiesel's CAT Scales "how to guide" info and just where I am at and go from there...Truck n Trailer.jpg

Thanks to all y'all!

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Looking good! I don't think I'd have to scale that if it was mine. Your well within the capabilities of Your truck, at least as far as I can tell. Minimal truck rear end squat. Trailer has just a slightly nose down attitude which is what you want (level or a touch nose down for proper tongue weight) that should tow well like that from what I can see. Let us know how you make out. Happy camping!

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
The rear is going to squat some. There's no getting around that. What you should mostly be interested in returning the front to as close to unloaded as possible.

Really, the goal, once hooked up, is to have the trailer level or slightly tongue down, and the TV's front end returned to unloaded height while staying level or slightly ass high.

I'd say your setup looks pretty good. You're way under weight for the truck, so it should tow good.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
If the bars are under rated too far they will do nothing. If the bars are over rated too far you will get a lot of bounce/snap back.

Neither is fun.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
You could actually run that small of a trailer with no WDH with your truck. I wouldn't worry too much. Anti-sway is by far more important. Also, one of byproducts of too much on the WDH is lightening of the trailer tongue which increases sway.

Heavier tongue weight is preferable but with the limited payload of half tons and the HUGE trailers we haul behind them, folks are kind of choosing between two problems - overload the truck or lighten the tongue weight and get excess sway. Your trailer is so light that whatever it can put on the truck should be fine unless you travel with an inordinate amount of stuff in the truck. Your setup looks good and I think you're definitely ready to head out. WDHs, trucks and trailers are always kind of a work in progress getting things setup and adjusted where you want them. As you drive you'll get a feeling when things are right.

OP
OP
Gorgerax

Gorgerax

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OK. I loaded the TT up and headed to the scales. NOT CAT scales but the weighmaster was a really nice guy, RV-er who said he knew what I wanted and walked me through the (different) weighing process and then crunched the numbers for me; here's where I'm at...

MAX Ratings Actual (WDH) Actual (w/o WDH)
GVWR 6800 6560 5620
Max Trailer 9900 3120 3920
GCWR 15500 9540 9540
Front Axle 3900 3060 3100
Rear axle 3900 3500 2520

...which comes to almost 20% tongue weight! However, I am running a CURT WDH that's rated for between 800 and 1000# TW, so, I think I'm OK! I could ratchet up the WD to lessen the TW as I am only in setting #3 out of 5, but am concerned about causing too much "bouncing". (rear squats @ 1") So far, seems to tow fine but am heading out in a week on a longer tow with some mountains, so will know then.

LOVE this forum...y'all are a LOT of help! Thank you!

csuder99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looks good, 1" of squat in the rear is perfectly ok. Some nitpicking though: The "w/o WDH" numbers appear to be when truck and trailer were weighed separately, correct ? Some numbers seem off too. When weighing with the trailer hooked up you get 6560 + 3120 = 9680 lbs, but separately it comes out to 5620 + 3920 = 9540 lbs.

OP
OP
Gorgerax

Gorgerax

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looks good, 1" of squat in the rear is perfectly ok. Some nitpicking though: The "w/o WDH" numbers appear to be when truck and trailer were weighed separately, correct ? Some numbers seem off too. When weighing with the trailer hooked up you get 6560 + 3120 = 9680 lbs, but separately it comes out to 5620 + 3920 = 9540 lbs.

As I mentioned, these were public scales but NOT CAT scales so the weighing/re=weighing process was different...I just did what the operator told me to, he then manually crunched some numbers and gave me what I posted. I agree, something is off but not too worried about it at this point.

Thanks again!