weakening starter??? starts every time...but slow/long crank.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnnymac2k6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Evening all,

Anyone with a 09-16 hemi experience a starter that almost acts as if the battery were low/dying? but then the battery test ok, alternator tests ok? not much left besides the starter?

It'll crank kinda labored...and start. maybe 4 seconds each time. if you count our 4 seconds, its longer than normal for something with a 1-2 typical starter sequence.

battery shows 12.8 volts with engine off. dips to 10.8 on start, then up to 14.8 V with it running.
that says to me that the battery is ok....and alternator is ok.

wondering if the starter is on the verge of going bad.

replacement starter motor # is 56044736AC for an OEM.

looks like its the same for 2009-2016 rams. has yet to strand me, or "click" w/o starting, but the wife drives this truck alot...so don't want her stuck an hour from home on her work commute.

battery is barely 2 years old, and again shows 12.8V

any thoughts? thanks all.

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wasn’t with my ram, but I had a similar issue with a grand wagoner I used to have.
The issue turned out to be a bad ground cable.

The insulation on the cable had racked, and the wire had corroded to the point that it was acting like a resistor and slowing the current flow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Random_Walk

...what's this bolt do? *plink* ...oh.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
I'd still say get the battery checked by the local auto parts store. I get that you measured it with a hand-held multimeter, but it's the least-expensive part to replace, and it never hurts to get a 2nd opinion before committing to a way more expensive part (or four).

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check the battery, mine was behaving sort of like that for a month or so - then finally the battery stopped taking a charge at all. No big deal, got 4 years out of it which is not out of line for a lead acid in AZ

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I'd still say get the battery checked by the local auto parts store. I get that you measured it with a hand-held multimeter, but it's the least-expensive part to replace, and it never hurts to get a 2nd opinion before committing to a way more expensive part (or four).
+1

You can't load test a battery with a multimeter.

Check grounds at both ends.

And just humor me here but, does your engine have enough oil in it? Ask me how I know that. [emoji44]

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Yup, battery may read ok, on a bench it may drop way too low for starting.

OP
OP
Johnnymac2k6

Johnnymac2k6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks guys!
battery is about 2 years old. I'll put it up in the air and check the grounds. truck it pretty clean, so I imagine they are ok.
I'll pull the battery and take it in also before changing the starter on a whim.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Yes sometimes the cables just breakdown inside...I chased an issue years ago, starter, nope good, battery...nope, good...alt, nope, good...finally changed wires....fixed. Ugghh

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Yes sometimes the cables just breakdown inside...I chased an issue years ago, starter, nope good, battery...nope, good...alt, nope, good...finally changed wires....fixed. Ugghh
I learned many years ago, check the easy, cheap stuff first. Then move on to what's logically the next weak link. Oxidation just eats wiring up.

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
2.8 is the bare minimum. 10.8 cranking is super low. it sounds to me like it doesn't have the cold cranking amps necessary. one of the best investments i made was buying a mechanical handheld load tester for 30 bucks US. after year 2 because of our long winters i do a check every fall to make sure its ready for the winter season. it also has saved my ass a few times on motorcycle batteries that meter tested ok but failed the load test.

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
As everyone else said more than likely the battery. Both lead acid batteries in my Hemi's ate it around the 2 year mark (Sulfated to hell). Replaced them with AGM's and now I run an on board maintainer on the truck and a maintenance charger with QD on the Challenger. Both consistently meter out above their rated CCA with a load tester since running the maintainers.

OP
OP
Johnnymac2k6

Johnnymac2k6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
To update as I go along. Pulled battery and took it in to Wal-Mart. Manager of the auto Center claimed it tested good, but agreed to swap it out regardless since it was labouring to crank, and within warranty.

Made sure it was charged. Put a charger on it just to be sure. Still slow cranking. In fact labouring even harder.

Put the truck in the air, pulled the starter, bench tested it with another battery.

It kicks out, and spins, but I suppose that doesn't tell me much other than it isn't completely dead. Or seized, which I knew.

New starter will be here Wednesday. Guess I'm throwing parts at it with fingers crossed.

Only notable thing was the exposed ground strap running from the case to the solenoid was a little green, but was not super corroded. That is part of the starter so it'll be replaced regardless with the new starter.

OP
OP
Johnnymac2k6

Johnnymac2k6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
For those interested, I put in the "amazon special" starter that was on my doorstep in all of 36 hours for $78. The Hemi spins quicker than it ever did, and fires off faster than it ever has.

Q: Can a starter get weaker, and slower, without actually dying completely?
A: Yes it can.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Thanks for coming back with results, most don't do that, this is good info!

JD Mark

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 2016, 2016
Engine
6.7, 6.4, 6.7, 5.9 in a F750
Be thankful...Furd 6.0s never give any warning their dying. They work fine one time, the next time nothing...completely dead. Don't even get me started on swapping them.

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
i have a new issue with my truck starting. 2014 5.7 with 70k. was fine, no symptoms up til sunday. push remote start, it turns over fast then when engine is turning over there is a little hesitation before firing up. then everything is fine. hard to tell in video below, but its there.

OP
OP
Johnnymac2k6

Johnnymac2k6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
i have a new issue with my truck starting. 2014 5.7 with 70k. was fine, no symptoms up til sunday. push remote start, it turns over fast then when engine is turning over there is a little hesitation before firing up. then everything is fine. hard to tell in video below, but its there.
yeah i can't hear much in the video. Mine sounded more like an old school vehicle with a low battery....cranked slow...and hard...then fired. "New" vehicles typically leave you high and dry with little indication, be it the starter, battery, etc. too much electronic interface.
low or older batteries can do weird things too... I shamed walmart into replacing this "good" battery as i was in denial that the starter could "tire" i have had buddies with GM trucks with Low or weakening batteries that seemed fine...other than the fact they were stuck in 2nd gear in the trans...

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
yeah i can't hear much in the video. Mine sounded more like an old school vehicle with a low battery....cranked slow...and hard...then fired. "New" vehicles typically leave you high and dry with little indication, be it the starter, battery, etc. too much electronic interface.
low or older batteries can do weird things too... I shamed walmart into replacing this "good" battery as i was in denial that the starter could "tire" i have had buddies with GM trucks with Low or weakening batteries that seemed fine...other than the fact they were stuck in 2nd gear in the trans...

yeah i could easily hear it in person, then when i listened to the audio it was tough to tell. yeah like i said, the battery turns over nice and fast. its at the beginning of the motor turning over that there is that slight hesitation. kinda like a slight drag as it fires up. since sunday, it seems to be less and less. it was still there this morning, but much less. time will tell.