Weird knocking sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cowboy2856

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey yall, so my truck has some electrical issues to but I'll post that I that section. What I can't figure out is when I start the truck and it's been sitting for a day or so even if I let it warm up for awhile it doesn't want to move forward for a few seconds. Rpms don't matter so I usually just hold at 1k-1300 till it slowly moves then let off the gas for a moment, goes fine after that with very rare slipping if I'm driving too hard.

Bigger question I can't figure out. It started making this decently loud knocking noise (sounds like it's between the bell and engine, or right from the oil filteror same location on opposite side of engine) mainly prominent in P and N, still somewhat hear it in D but significantly less so. Noise increases with RPMs. Still drives fine after it warms up, just makes that noise. Only codes popping are for a O² system (exhaust is F'd right now) and faulty gas cap (tried multiple caps no long time fix).

I apologize for the lengthy post but I CANNOT for the life of me find anything to help figure this out.
Thanks for any help.
2001 Ram 1500 5.9 2WD Auto

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Is there any trouble lights
Have you used a Code reader on it yet

bad gas cap, does not necessarily mean gas cap
it could mean the purge valve is dirty or bad
There are videos on how to check it out

Bvogt

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 I6
Sounds like a torque converter to me. “Noise between engine and bell housing”, “slow to get it rolling”. My two cents..

OP
OP
Cowboy2856

Cowboy2856

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So if it's the converter would that mean replacement or can I repair that? I'll look into the purge valve after work as well. The last time I put a reader on it the only thing was the gas cap.

Bvogt

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 I6
So if it's the converter would that mean replacement or can I repair that? I'll look into the purge valve after work as well. The last time I put a reader on it the only thing was the gas cap.

Personally I’d replace. Good time to swap tranny fluid anyway. Inspect the input shaft and flywheel good when removed for damage

OP
OP
Cowboy2856

Cowboy2856

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dang, alright. How difficult is this? Iv never messed with transmission stuff. I'm mechanically inclined and have done a number of things but the most iv broke into an engine was a timing chain on a 94 f150