Weird shifting in about 50mhp 1996 2500 5.9l

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Angelikawahlman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Hi guys!

My 2nd gen 1996, 2500, 5.9l ram shifts at 50mph between the last two gears really often. Like if I even a little bit get of the gas pedal it shifts to lower gear immediately and then I press the pedal as it slows down so it changes back up and so on. This happens like all the time. Is it just the speed I'm going or do I have a real problem? And how to solve it?

The previous owners said that the transmission was is full service, like they changed everything apparently. I will call the shop that did the service to find out more.

And could someone tell me what transmission it is? Or how I can find it out?

Please help me I'm a beginner and I'd really want to learn more. And sorry for my English it's not my native language.

-AW

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I have a 96 with the V10. Coming out of OD does not take a lot of pedal pressure. I use the button on the dash and turn OD off 100% of the time in town, and until I get to 60 mph on the highway. Anything at 50 or lower, OD is off. In fact in town at speeds of 35 mph or less I leave the truck in second. Makes no difference to my gas mileage so why let it hunt through the gears.

OP
OP
A

Angelikawahlman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Hi, thanks for your reply!
And lol I feel so dumb now. I'll try to locate the button and try it.

You said that you leave the truck in 'second', by that you mean the 1 and 2 below d? So what are those exactly and how you recommend I use them?

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
The OD button is above the radio right at the top of the bezel, just left of the cupholders. Your fog lamp button, if you have them, and the OD button are side by side. The light goes on when you press it, tells you the OD is disengaged. You have to repress the button each time you start the truck. You can turn OD off and on at any speed, so if you are in hills or towing weight you can turn it off so it doesn't drop down to 3rd (drive) every time you hit a hill.

As far as 1,2 and D, it is the same as having an old manual shift truck. This limits the top gear the truck will use. So in 2, the truck still leaves from a stop in 1, up shifts to 2 but won't up shift any further. Just watch your tachometer so you are NOT running steady above 4500 rpm. You can also manually downshift going downhill to use engine braking so you don't burn up your brakes on long hills.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Angelikawahlman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Thank you really much! I think I'll understood now. Till next problem.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Thank you really much! I think I'll understood now. Till next problem.
Made an edit to last post, you do NOT want to run steady above 4500-, in fact for steady cruising around town 3500 is about max. Higher revs are okay for slowing down or using engine braking on hills. In fact I just noticed you are running a diesel, I first thought you were running a 5.9 gas. In the case of the diesel, appropriate RPM will be much lower. Use your tach for sure, do not run near red line for long periods.

Last edited: