Well, got my first door ding..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JD Martin

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
And the sad thing is I did it myself. Although the dump is really to blame. They had the drive up dumpster closed so I had to use an over your head dumpster. Well, you can guess what happened next. Something fell out of the the dumpster and hit my truck. #$&@+ me off.

So, anyone used pdr yet? How difficult is it to get the rear passenger door panel off and access the sheet metal?

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
And the sad thing is I did it myself. Although the dump is really to blame. They had the drive up dumpster closed so I had to use an over your head dumpster. Well, you can guess what happened next. Something fell out of the the dumpster and hit my truck. #$&@+ me off.

So, anyone used pdr yet? How difficult is it to get the rear passenger door panel off and access the sheet metal?
I had some PDR work done on a white 2014 Silverado a few years back and it was in that section of metal below the passenger door that's basically hidden if you have nerf bars. They did a fantastic job and that was only from the outside as there's no way to get in there and fix it from the backside. They charged me a whopping $75 and it took less than an hour.

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
Got my first one too

OP
OP
JD Martin

JD Martin

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had some PDR work done on a white 2014 Silverado a few years back and it was in that section of metal below the passenger door that's basically hidden if you have nerf bars. They did a fantastic job and that was only from the outside as there's no way to get in there and fix it from the backside. They charged me a whopping $75 and it took less than an hour.
I called my salesman this afternoon and he returned my call this evening. They have a specialty pdr guy that does all their vehicles twice a week and he said I could have mine done by their guy right there on the lot. It's a pretty clean ding so I'm betting he can virtually make it disappear.

I realize this is a truck, and I use it for working besides, but I like to keep my stuff looking nice, especially when I've only had it for a month.

Outbreak

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I got a good sized ding the first time I got fuel when I opened the door and hit the concrete pipe protecting the pumps. I didn’t see it from my new 2500. But for Christmas I got a dent removal kit from amazon and it pulled it right out!

Mehgyver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L V8
I got my first one less than two weeks after buying the truck. Someone dinged my at the airport while I was out of town, got back and there it was. Was pretty pissed. I've fought the urge to do PDR for the time being, its not a big ding its the "someone didnt pay attention when opening their door" sized ding.

OP
OP
JD Martin

JD Martin

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well, my salesman got me set up with the PDR guy the dealership uses. $100, 45 minutes and he's doing it Friday. My insurance deductible is $0, so I'll probably submit it since I rarely ever have a claim; might as well get something back on all this insurance I pay!

klodge741

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I got one to but on the tailgate. My fault backed into trash can. Getting a paintless dent guy to fix it for me said it should be around $75 to $100 which I think is fare.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well, my salesman got me set up with the PDR guy the dealership uses. $100, 45 minutes and he's doing it Friday. My insurance deductible is $0, so I'll probably submit it since I rarely ever have a claim; might as well get something back on all this insurance I pay!

Do any insurance claims show up on car fax's? If so, I'd just pay the $100 out of pocket, well I'd probably just do that anyways, getting insurance involved for $100 doesn't seem worth it. I worked for an insurance company for a while and saw policies that had rate increases due to small claims, of course this is very dependent on your insurance company/state you live in, but just some more things to consider.

OP
OP
JD Martin

JD Martin

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do any insurance claims show up on car fax's? If so, I'd just pay the $100 out of pocket, well I'd probably just do that anyways, getting insurance involved for $100 doesn't seem worth it. I worked for an insurance company for a while and saw policies that had rate increases due to small claims, of course this is very dependent on your insurance company/state you live in, but just some more things to consider.
$100 won't do anything to my rates here (TN). I have had a couple of major claims in the 25+ years I've been with Allstate and it barely moved the needle in what I paid. No, $100 comp claim won't show up on Carfax or anything else; I always kept my comp at $0 because my last truck went through windshields like a box of donuts at the PBA meeting :) . I had 4 busted windshields in 15 years.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
$100 won't do anything to my rates here (TN). I have had a couple of major claims in the 25+ years I've been with Allstate and it barely moved the needle in what I paid. No, $100 comp claim won't show up on Carfax or anything else; I always kept my comp at $0 because my last truck went through windshields like a box of donuts at the PBA meeting :) . I had 4 busted windshields in 15 years.

Haha wow that's a lot of busted windshields, bad luck or coincidence? Glad you have good insurance, that job I had in insurance was by far the worst job I ever had, despite having decent pay and benefits, the misery was constant and never ending.

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black metallic 2016 Sport- born 05/2016
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
I paid $100 for 2 panels form the guy that the dealership uses. Can't tell there was ever anything there.

OP
OP
JD Martin

JD Martin

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Haha wow that's a lot of busted windshields, bad luck or coincidence? Glad you have good insurance, that job I had in insurance was by far the worst job I ever had, despite having decent pay and benefits, the misery was constant and never ending.
Both! There's actually a gravel quarry on the main road that leaves rocks everywhere, so a big part of it is thay, and then it just happens that way when you drive a vehicle with that big a windshield 30k interstate miles per year. Anyway, I learned years ago that it was cheaper to pay for the $0 comp than to keep buying windshields!

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Both! There's actually a gravel quarry on the main road that leaves rocks everywhere, so a big part of it is thay, and then it just happens that way when you drive a vehicle with that big a windshield 30k interstate miles per year. Anyway, I learned years ago that it was cheaper to pay for the $0 comp than to keep buying windshields!

Oh wow, yeah under those conditions I'd have to say you absolutely made the right call with $0 deductible..kind of a weird coincidence but my friend who lives up in Burlington Vt and also has a ram, sent me a video showing his windshield with like 9 dings in it and a huge crack running one side to the other. I'm really lucky to have never had anything like that happen, I used to drive a ton as well with my first 4th gen ram and never had anything happen to my windshield or my color matched bumpers, all in a mix of lots of highway/country/dirt road and in all sorts of conditions for a few years. I don't know how I made it through all that unscathed.

TcRoc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Got my first ding from the typical ******** in a parking lot that doesn't know how to open a door. Its not bad but I see it.. I have a few buds at dealers ships.. I'll just stop in when there dent doctor is there.

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black metallic 2016 Sport- born 05/2016
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
Got my first ding from the typical ******** in a parking lot that doesn't know how to open a door. Its not bad but I see it.. I have a few buds at dealers ships.. I'll just stop in when there dent doctor is there.

The PDR guys might be independents, so the PDR guy might work you a better deal than your buds would. I paid cash to the PDR guy, not to the dealership. Worked out nicely for both of us.

OP
OP
JD Martin

JD Martin

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'll report back tomorrow how well it worked; I have a 9 am appointment to get it done. I'll try to remember to take some before and after pictures.

OP
OP
JD Martin

JD Martin

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Success! Got the PDR done this morning by the guy the dealership uses. Completely perfect - no paint damage or evidence whatsoever of the former ding! To say I was thrilled was beyond saying - this guy did an awesome job! When he first looked at it he thought it might be a little too low on the door to go through the window opening, but he said there were enough door seal grommets that he could go through if that was the case. When he got going, he was able to go straight through the window - no door panel removal, nothing. Truck looks perfect just like the day I bought it, other than it being dirty.

So $100, which I filed with my insurance, so should just be a little bit of my time as cost when I'm done. Disaster narrowly averted! :D

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Success! Got the PDR done this morning by the guy the dealership uses. Completely perfect - no paint damage or evidence whatsoever of the former ding! To say I was thrilled was beyond saying - this guy did an awesome job! When he first looked at it he thought it might be a little too low on the door to go through the window opening, but he said there were enough door seal grommets that he could go through if that was the case. When he got going, he was able to go straight through the window - no door panel removal, nothing. Truck looks perfect just like the day I bought it, other than it being dirty.

So $100, which I filed with my insurance, so should just be a little bit of my time as cost when I'm done. Disaster narrowly averted! :D

That's awesome! Glad to hear the repair went so well!